Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 28 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
DWF
Vice Admiral

Steven Moffat Talks About The "Raw", "New Direction" For The Series

Steven Moffat has revealed that the next series of Doctor Who will see the tone of the show change from recent years.

The showrunner told Nerd³: "If Russell [T Davies] had stayed on, [the show] would still have changed. I remember when we had our handover chat, he was saying ‘so what are you going to do, are you going to change that?’ and I said ‘well, what would you change?’ and we both agreed ‘it’s time to kick a lot of stuff out’. And actually, it is time again to do that."

He added: "I just felt watching last time around [Series 7] that ‘oh, it’s time we fixed that and changed that and moved that up a bit and changed that tone’."

Matt Smith departed the show on Christmas Day in 'The Time of the Doctor', which wrapped up the majority of the Moffat era's plotlines so far.

Moffat explained: "It changes all the time, and it’s keeping ahead of the audience in a way. All shows age and they all age sort of in the same way. You learn how to do it, you get really slick at it, and then you think you’re really, really slick at it and everyone’s started to yawn. And you think ‘oh God, we’re really slick at this but everyone knows what we’re going to do’."

He teased: "So now we’ve got to actually get a bit raw at it and do it in a different direction. It happens on every show – you get good at it and ‘good at it’ is the enemy in the end."

Series 8 begins filming next month and is expected to start airing on BBC One in August 2014.
http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...wRE7rw.twitter
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Steven Moffat Talks About The "Raw", "New Direction" For The Serie

I hope the series goes into a new direction. Like RTD or not, at least his stories were easy to follow. In the Moffat Era, we've had 3 seasons of this over arcing narrative which was hard to follow and the long breaks didn't help. There was some good material in the last few years, but most of it was a mess.

It actually reminds me of Farscape's 4th season, where we went from various episodic storytelling and getting the crew back together to Wormholes and Unrealized Realities. I wonder if going back to watch the Moffat seasons in a short time span will help make sense of everything. It sure did watching Farscape, even though I still consider it the weakest of the four seasons.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; December 28 2013 at 09:28 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I do think that it's time for the show to go in a different direction (or have a new attitude) and having a different kind of Doctor will go a long way towards that, IMO. I'd also like to see less multi-episode stories about some big impending doom for the Doctor. Now that he's got a brand-new lease on life, the show should reflect that as well.

On a separate note, with filming start to begin next month, we're probably only weeks away from seeing the new Doctor's costume.
Old December 28 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Ubik
Commodore

Changing tone and attitude and approach sounds like an awesome idea. There are so many things about the entire run of Matt Smith's tenure that I couldn't stand (none of which were particularly Matt Smith's fault, mind you), but the whole fairy-tale-Mad-Hatter-childish-nonsense approach got really old for me, really fast. And having the whole universe, and the companions, and the show, constantly telling us how fabulous the Doctor is also got really old, really fast. This hero-worship of the Doctor makes the whole show feel like fan-fiction. The condescending fairy tale approach was smug and unconvincing.

I want my science fiction show back. I want the main character to be an adult (the man is over 1000 years old, after all), and a scientist, and I want the more adult tone of the show when it's at its best.

I also want the strong 3-dimensional female characters back that Russell Davies brought to the show. Rose and Donna (and to a lesser extent Martha) brought the show forward into the 21st century in terms of female characterization, and then Moffat came around and turned the women into girls, and dressed them up like they're 16 years old, and made them hero-worship the Doctor, and be his saviour, and be his mystery girl, and overall be anything but fully-realized, complex adult female characters.

Anyway, there's plenty of room for change and improvement, and I hope Moffat realizes some of the mistakes he made and changes them in the next year.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I wonder if going back to watch the Moffat seasons in a short time span will help make sense of everything. It sure did watching Farscape, even though I still consider it the weakest of the four seasons.
I think this is one of the reasons I actually do enjoy the Moffat seasons so much. I've watched them multiple times in very short time frames on DVD and Netflix. Even commercial breaks are enough to ruin the flow of an episode for me these days. I can't even imagine watching these shows week-to-week.

This is why I really want to rewatch the Christmas special without commercial interruptions. I feel like it will make a lot more sense that way.
Old December 28 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Ooh, "‘good at it’ is the enemy in the end." I like that.

I'm wondering if the new Doctor's evident memory loss is more than the kind of post-regenerative temporary amnesia we've seen before. Maybe he's been reset into a character who's got a lot to relearn -- more like Hartnell, who was just discovering all these new things like Daleks and Cybermen, rather than being this cosmic know-it-all who'd been everywhere and done everything. Still as ingenious and creative at solving problems as ever, but having to figure it out as he goes like the early Doctors did. Maybe that's what Moffat means by "raw": going back to basics and having the Doctor start over, in a way.

It would also be interesting if he's permanently forgotten how to navigate the TARDIS, putting things back to the way they were in the '60s where his wandering was pretty much random -- and his companions were stuck with him rather than being able to commute back home.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I wish I didn't feel like this is all just a dry intellectual exercise for Moffat, that outguessing the viewer is the endgame in and of itself.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:20 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'll agree with that. If you move too far ahead, the audience is just bound to get lost. There is something to be said for taking your time and making sure all the pieces make sense before moving on.
Old December 28 2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Lonemagpie
Writer

It changes tone with every change of Doctor - this isn't news, just empty waffle.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 10:47 PM   #10
SG-17
Commodore

Hopefully Moffat stops treating women as set-pieces. "The Impossible Girl", "The Girl Who Waited", "The Girl in the Fireplace".

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I'd like them to mainly go back to the more "monster/villain of the week" thing that the RTD and the classic series had instead of this more "overarching" cameo thing Moffat has going on.

As for tone, I want to take a darker route. Matt Smith was quite jolly and light as far as doctors go (he's certainly the lightest of the new series doctors), I'd like a contrast to that with Capaldi. He's older and been stuck on Trenzalore/Christmas for about 500 fucking years, he must be a bit pissed off. At least have a new gag that the doctor hates Christmas.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'll agree with that. If you move too far ahead, the audience is just bound to get lost. There is something to be said for taking your time and making sure all the pieces make sense before moving on.
This summarizes my thoughts on "Showrunner Moffat" entirely!

"Episode Writer Moffat" produced some of my favorite episodes of nuWho. He wrote interesting and engaging installments in the saga of the series that were just fun to watch and had all sorts of unexpected twists.

"Showrunner Moffat" is almost like M. Night Shyamalan on speed. He's so obsessed with "out-thinking his audience" that he produces story arcs so contrived that they only make sense after multiple repeated viewings of the DVD's and countless visits to online forums. The whole "Church of Silence" bit? Ridiculous and ill-explained aside from countless bits of throwaway exposition.

Here's a new direction for the series-- good story telling that isn't all about the Doctor's life. Seriously-- the classic series was about the Doctor traveling the whole of time and space and stumbling into all sorts of situations in which he was the catalyst of change. It wasn't about convoluted sagas centered on "Doctor Who?" or "Who is River Song?" Instead, the Doctor brought hope and change wherever he went.

I'm also hoping that we can get away from the fan-service of having the Doctor as a near-Messianic figure whose enemies run from the mere mention of his name. When your main character is treated like he's God, what else is there to do?

I started watching Doctor Who with the Tom Baker era-- those days when Robert Holmes penned some of the series better episodes. I'd love to see nuWho take on more of that kind of feel instead of being the soap opera "As the TARDIS Turns..."

Of course, I'm probably in the minority as most folks seem to love Moffat's run.
Old December 28 2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Ubik wrote: View Post
And having the whole universe, and the companions, and the show, constantly telling us how fabulous the Doctor is also got really old, really fast. This hero-worship of the Doctor makes the whole show feel like fan-fiction. The condescending fairy tale approach was smug and unconvincing.
Leonardo T. Dragon wrote: View Post
I'm also hoping that we can get away from the fan-service of having the Doctor as a near-Messianic figure whose enemies run from the mere mention of his name. When your main character is treated like he's God, what else is there to do?
Tell me again which Doctor saved the world by having the companion instruct all humanity to pray in his name? Or was carried by angels out of a raging inferno to save the Earth? Or once said to the Daleks: "Yeah [I don't have a plan]. And doesn't that just terrify you?" Or was once described as "...ancient and forever... he burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful"? Or whose sobriquets included "the Oncoming Storm," "the Lonely God" and "Timelord Victorious?"

This has been going on since 2005, at least.
Old December 29 2013, 12:18 AM   #14
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

I'm wondering if the new Doctor's evident memory loss is more than the kind of post-regenerative temporary amnesia we've seen before.
You forget that Capaldi was seen in the anniversary special and he did seem to know to pilot the TARDIS, so I'd say it's only temporary.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 12:23 AM   #15
RoJoHen
Awesome

DWF wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

I'm wondering if the new Doctor's evident memory loss is more than the kind of post-regenerative temporary amnesia we've seen before.
You forget that Capaldi was seen in the anniversary special and he did seem to know to pilot the TARDIS, so I'd say it's only temporary.
Well, considering Smith's Doctor lived for like 900 years, "temporary" is relative.