Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2013, 03:56 AM   #181
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

"The Power of Three" takes place in 2016-2018? I don't recall the dates being mentioned, and I can't find the mentions in any wikis.

Oh well, so what if Clara is from the 2020s? It's not as though it's unusual for the Doctor to have companions from other times, and the 2020s aren't particularly futuristic. Hell, Sarah Jane was supposed to be from the 1980s during the Third/Fourth Doctor's era, wasn't she?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:01 AM   #182
Captain_Amasov
Captain

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Except that the Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed in the episode "Four to Doomsday." So they're not continuous incarnations of the exact same one unless the Fifth Doctor had a backup somewhere.
So? It only had to be continuous from Hurt's Doctor's screwdriver to Smith's Doctor's screwdriver. The War Doctor initiated the calculation, and the Eleventh Doctor's screwdriver finished them. The Fifth Doctor's screwdriver doesn't factor into the matter.
Tennant's screwdriver was destroyed twice. Once in the hospital on the moon episode and once in "the eleventh hour". I'm going to assume the Tardis keeps a copy of the software.
Smith's Doctor gets his new screwdriver directly from the TARDIS console at the end of "The Eleventh Hour", so the software definitely comes from the TARDIS herself.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:01 AM   #183
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The real crime was how the story absolved the Doctor of the guilt for using the Moment, but then making him forget that he didn't so he carried that guilt for 400 years. Hurt's Doctor got to be acknowledged as the Doctor, yet he promptly forgets this fact and his subsequent incarnations see him as anathema. Moffat gives us a warm-fuzzy ending then yanks it away. The story doesn't have the courage of its own convictions.
Some people in this thread have stated the same, namely that the Doctors from Hurt to Ten won't remember. Did I miss something because Eleven says to Hurt that he will remember that he tried to do the right thing but that he won't know whether it's worked. The dialogue isn't clear on whether they'll forget everything. In fact Eleven does remember the Fez thing at the beginning of the episode and Moffat has had the Doctor remember stuff from encounters with other incarnations before ("Time Crash"). Also, Ten states that they are about to rewrite their own personal timeline. So I take it as time having been rewritten. Moffat has basically rebooted modern Who, now with less angst and guilt-trips. Only we don't get to see it as the show will continue with Eleven and Twelve.
Old November 24 2013, 04:02 AM   #184
Christopher
Writer

Oh, it was John Guilor as the First Doctor's voice; I saw his name in the credits the second time around, as well as on the DW wiki.

Noddy wrote: View Post
Hang on, the story ends with the Doctor radically changing his past. What we see near the end isn't what originally happened; the War Doctor originally used the Moment by himself, and burned Gallifrey. But earlier on, we see that Eleven remembers some of what's going to happen, so it must always have happened....YE GODS, I'M SO F***ING CONFUSED, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!
No, what we see is what really happened all along; it's just been misinterpreted. And the War Doctor forgot everything he experienced alongside his other selves, because of the timestreams being out of sync. So his last clear memory would be of standing over the Moment about to push the big red button. He just assumed he'd gone through with it and destroyed Gallifrey. So nothing's actually been changed. This is what always happened; the Doctor just didn't know it until now.

And what's the deal with the Curator looking like an older Fourth Doctor? Is that supposed to mean something?
It means they wanted an excuse to bring Tom Baker back. So Moffat made up the idea of some future incarnation of the Doctor "revisiting" faces from his past somehow.

Emh wrote: View Post
Forgot to mention how awesome it was to see the original opening titles on the bug screen! I just wish they played the whole thing instead of cutting it short.
Actually it lasted just about as long as the opening titles originally would have in '63, because back then they didn't show the episode title/credits until after the episode had started.

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
The bit with Strax doing the no phones and be quiet bit at the start of the screening was a hoot.
Same here on all counts. The intro with Smith was equally great.
I hope those get released online soon.

There are some niggles, though. The Elizabeth I scenes appear to happen a couple of years too early in the Doctor's timeline (unless the wedding scene happens two years after the rest of the episode for him).
Based on what? The Doctor had no companion, so I assumed this was during the "specials" phase after Donna left.

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
It's going to take me a little while to process this but I do have this to write. It seems as if everyone is saying Rose wasn't our Rose but I beg to differ. Given she had the whole of The Time Vortex within her and that she scattered clues for her self through out time and space it's not all that unlikely that she would have appeared to The War Doctor.
The Moment said that it selected an image from the Doctor's life. But Vortex Rose did seed "Bad Wolf" throughout time and space, so it's not surprising that one such "seed" would've ended up connected to the Moment.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:07 AM   #185
The Wormhole
Admiral

"The Power of Three" takes place in 2016-2018? I don't recall the dates being mentioned, and I can't find the mentions in any wikis.
Those exact dates are not mentioned in the episode, but rather are figured from deductive reasoning.

Hell, Sarah Jane was supposed to be from the 1980s during the Third/Fourth Doctor's era, wasn't she?
Maybe yes, probably no.
Old November 24 2013, 04:14 AM   #186
The Wormhole
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There are some niggles, though. The Elizabeth I scenes appear to happen a couple of years too early in the Doctor's timeline (unless the wedding scene happens two years after the rest of the episode for him).
Based on what? The Doctor had no companion, so I assumed this was during the "specials" phase after Donna left.
Tennant says he's 904. The End of Time implies his fling with Liz I was in between Waters of Mars and The End of Time, and he does tell Wilf in TEOT he's 906.

Maybe there's two years between Waters of Mars and End of Time? RTD's original intention was for a much longer gap to be between the two specials.
Old November 24 2013, 04:14 AM   #187
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Clara is in her mid-to-late 20's, plenty of time to procure some sort of degree before we met her. Just because it wasn't previously established that she had teaching credentials doesn't have to mean this episode took place in 2018 or whatever, after she got a degree. And who knows? If it does take place in the future, maybe she just WANTS to live in a new timeframe? Like, she and the Doctor visited 2020 London once and she liked it there and stayed.

They must have some sort of arrangement. Wasn't that the Doctor's motorcycle she was riding?
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:17 AM   #188
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Loved it. I actually squealed when I saw Capaldi's brief appearance. I loved the Curator. I was glad that "Rose" wasn't really Rose.
Old November 24 2013, 04:17 AM   #189
The Wormhole
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Clara is in her mid-to-late 20's, plenty of time to procure some sort of degree before we met her. Just because it wasn't previously established that she had teaching credentials doesn't have to mean this episode took place in 2018 or whatever, after she got a degree. And who knows? If it does take place in the future, maybe she just WANTS to live in a new timeframe? Like, she and the Doctor visited 2020 London once and she liked it there and stayed.

They must have some sort of arrangement. Wasn't that the Doctor's motorcycle she was riding?
It's implied in The Bells of St John she had practically no computer skills, and teachers these days need to be experts with computers. Hell, were she attending university within the past five years she'd need to practically be a computer expert.
Old November 24 2013, 04:20 AM   #190
Pavonis
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Tennant says he's 904. The End of Time implies his fling with Liz I was in between Waters of Mars and The End of Time, and he does tell Wilf in TEOT he's 906
Oh, please, the Doctor doesn't know how old he is, and that's all there is to it. He's never been firm about his age, all the way back to at least the Third Doctor, who at least once claimed he was "thousands" of years old. So what's two years, or four hundred, to a Time Lord?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:22 AM   #191
AllStarEntprise
Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Actually at least fourteen.
How?
That wasn't the fourth Doctor, it was the Nth Doctor.
What about the Valeyard? Technically also a "Doctor" according to the Master. Or we have to wait for Smith to become Capaldi before we talk about him? Lol jk

I thought the episode was great. However that Zygon subplot though.... Uh a resolution would've been nice. Or was it just filler to pad out the episode?

Who Knows?

AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:26 AM   #192
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I thought the episode was great. However that Zygon subplot though.... Uh a resolution would've been nice. Or was it just filler to pad out the episode?
The resolution was to make them negotiate a fair treaty. It reminded me of the peace conferences during the Third Doctor's era. Finally, we saw one succeed. In that vein it also harkened back to a time when the Doctor was more innocent, before he'd turned into a warrior. I might overinterpret it but I like my interpretation so I'm sticking with it.
Old November 24 2013, 04:31 AM   #193
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Oh, please, the Doctor doesn't know how old he is, and that's all there is to it. He's never been firm about his age, all the way back to at least the Third Doctor, who at least once claimed he was "thousands" of years old. So what's two years, or four hundred, to a Time Lord?
Well, the Sonic Screwdriver knows there was four centuries between Hurt and Smith. So there's that.

If there was three hundred years between Tennant (at 904) and Smith (at 12-something), then working backwards, Hurt regenerated at 8-something meaning Eccleston had a good long life. Tennant is one of the shorter-lived incarnations.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
The resolution was to make them negotiate a fair treaty. It reminded me of the peace conferences during the Third Doctor's era. Finally, we saw one succeed. In that vein it also harkened back to a time when the Doctor was more innocent, before he'd turned into a warrior. I might overinterpret it but I like my interpretation so I'm sticking with it.
I hadn't thought of it that way. Now I'm reminded of the Sontaran/Rutan peace conference in The Infinity Doctors and the Doctor's (unintentional) solution to getting them to negotiate. He accidentally locked them in the TARDIS (it was an accident, the universe was threatened with imminent destruction), and in the state of temporal grace the Sontaran and the Rutan couldn't kill one another, nor could they escape. They had no choice but to talk, and they did, fashioning a peace accord and ending the war.

That's such a fantastic book.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:39 AM   #194
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

So, how long until the Doctor clears out UNIT's Black Archive? There's no way he would allow UNIT to hold all of that, especially after Kate attempted to nuke London because of it.

Speaking of which, unless the nuclear device beneath the Tower of London were stupidly overpowered, an underground nuclear detonation would not destroy the city. All UNIT needs is something to vaporize the Black Archive and cause the Tower to implode into the hole. A low-yield bunker buster would suffice.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:02 AM   #195
Mitty
Vice Admiral

70's or 80's depending on the protocol. With one foul swoop the Unit Dating Controversy wiped clean