Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2013, 02:59 AM   #166
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

"The End of Time" I think takes place before The Moment is activated.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:02 AM   #167
DWF
Vice Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Also, I have to rewatch the scene again, but it seemed to me we got a glimpse of Eccleston's face during the regeneration, akin to young Hurt in "The Night if the Doctor." But maybe it's just me.
Was there some reason they couldn't use Christopher Eccleston's regeneration face from "Bad Wolf". It wouldn't have been too difficult to insert.
For one thing Eccleston didn't regenerate in Bad Wolf.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:04 AM   #168
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Was there some reason they couldn't use Christopher Eccleston's regeneration face from "Bad Wolf". It wouldn't have been too difficult to insert.
For one thing Eccleston didn't regenerate in Bad Wolf.
"The Parting Of The Ways." I was only one episode off
Old November 24 2013, 03:05 AM   #169
Australis
Writer

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Oh fuck- watch the Five-ish Doctors on Red Button, and then re-watch Day Of The Doctor...
And if you can't get Red Button?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:08 AM   #170
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
I feel like an idiot! When we first hear the Curator, I thought Smith would turn to see Capaldi.
It was David Bradley for me.
Yeah, same here.

Australis wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Oh fuck- watch the Five-ish Doctors on Red Button, and then re-watch Day Of The Doctor...
And if you can't get Red Button?
The episode is up on the BBC website and it's not geo-locked. I just watched it and I'm not in the UK, either.
Old November 24 2013, 03:28 AM   #171
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I enjoyed it in the moment. I went to a Doctor Who viewing party in Baltimore, and there were about 100 people there in a make-shift theater. Moffat's Who is tailor-made to be watched with a crowd. It makes for a good communal activity.

When I stopped to think about it, it falls apart.

There are some interesting implications to the story. It cleverly rewrites the RTD era by rewriting the assumptions of the era but leaving the text itself intact.

But on a narrative level, it was setpieces in search of a plot. The Zygon plot existed long enough to function as a MacGuffin and was then dismissed for the real meat of the story -- the Doctor's culpability for the Time War. (That's not unusual for Moffat; the Daleks were important in "Asylum of the Daleks" to the extent that they let Amy and Rory's relationship problems play out.) The tenth Doctor had no significant narrative function that I could discern except to be part of the MacGuffin.

I guess the "present" in the 2020s, which means that Clara is from the 2020s. Either that, or she's older.

Hurt's Doctor could have been Eccleston or McGann. I defended the casting of Hurt as an unknown incarnation of the Doctor, but in execution this felt like an excuse to cast a name actor as the Doctor. And I was disappointed by the regeneration at the end, though dialogue suggests there's about 100 years between that event and "Rose," and I'm fine with that.

The real crime was how the story absolved the Doctor of the guilt for using the Moment, but then making him forget that he didn't so he carried that guilt for 400 years. Hurt's Doctor got to be acknowledged as the Doctor, yet he promptly forgets this fact and his subsequent incarnations see him as anathema. Moffat gives us a warm-fuzzy ending then yanks it away. The story doesn't have the courage of its own convictions.

In the final analysis, except for a few throwaway moments, this was largely a culmination of Doctor Who post-2005, as it resolved a number of outstanding issues from the past eight and half years.

Moffat did what he does best -- he delivered popcorn entertainment. And when consumed as popcorn, like Brannon Braga's best Star Trek work, it went down fine. It's when you stop and think about what you've eaten that you start to wonder what it is you've eaten and you have second thoughts.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:36 AM   #172
Pavonis
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I guess the "present" in the 2020s, which means that Clara is from the 2020s. Either that, or she's older.
Eh? Where'd you get that from? I didn't see any indication that the present was not our present.

While Hurt's Doctor doesn't get to keep the "warm fuzzies" of having saved Gallifrey, Eleven (and subsequently Twelve) does, which is what's important. The current Doctor gets to know he put right what he once did wrong.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:38 AM   #173
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Eh? Where'd you get that from? I didn't see any indication that the present was not our present.
"The Power of Three" takes place around 2018. That's Kate Stewart's first meeting with the eleventh Doctor. Therefore, this has to be after that.

allyngibson.net
Old November 24 2013, 03:41 AM   #174
The Wormhole
Admiral

A couple of reasons:

Kate Stewart and the Doctor know each other, making it clear this is after The Power of Three, which takes place in 2016 and 2017.

Clara must have some sort of an education degree in order to be a teacher. That sort of thing takes years and we had no indication she was previously educated enough to be a teacher.

EDIT: Damn, got ninja'd. But I'll also add that likely Moffat just doesn't give a damn about consistent dates. Hell, the episode does include a joke about UNIT dating.
Old November 24 2013, 03:41 AM   #175
UssGlenn
Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Except that the Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed in the episode "Four to Doomsday." So they're not continuous incarnations of the exact same one unless the Fifth Doctor had a backup somewhere.
So? It only had to be continuous from Hurt's Doctor's screwdriver to Smith's Doctor's screwdriver. The War Doctor initiated the calculation, and the Eleventh Doctor's screwdriver finished them. The Fifth Doctor's screwdriver doesn't factor into the matter.
Tennant's screwdriver was destroyed twice. Once in the hospital on the moon episode and once in "the eleventh hour". I'm going to assume the Tardis keeps a copy of the software.
Old November 24 2013, 03:45 AM   #176
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
EDIT: Damn, got ninja'd. But I'll also add that likely Moffat just doesn't give a damn about consistent dates. Hell, the episode does include a joke about UNIT dating.
Don't feel ninja'ed. Your dates are more accurate than mine, and I hadn't considered the problem of Clara's educational degree.

To me, the situation at the beginning suggests that the Doctor drops in on Clara's life from time to time, not unlike how he dropped in on Rory and Amy's lives after he faked his own death. And like in that instance, the Doctor's visits may be months apart, so years can pass.

allyngibson.net
Old November 24 2013, 03:47 AM   #177
Valley Forge
Lieutenant Commander

chardman wrote: View Post
Loved the "Curator". Made me cry.
Same here. I haven't done that since B5's "Sleeping in Light".

Vf
Valley Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:51 AM   #178
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I'm sure that the Doctor had his old traveling buddy, who now runs the school "arrange" for Clara's job.
Old November 24 2013, 03:52 AM   #179
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Okay, something I really thought was clever about the episode.

I liked Bad Wolf/Rose. I liked how Bad Wolf brought Hurt's Doctor together with his future so that he could see what he would become if he went through with the using the Moment, and she brought the future Doctors back so that they could find a way. I liked that it was a weapon that was conscious and didn't want to be used and wanted to help Hurt's Doctor and cleanse him of the pain he bore.

allyngibson.net
Old November 24 2013, 03:54 AM   #180
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Except that the Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed in the episode "Four to Doomsday." So they're not continuous incarnations of the exact same one unless the Fifth Doctor had a backup somewhere.
So? It only had to be continuous from Hurt's Doctor's screwdriver to Smith's Doctor's screwdriver. The War Doctor initiated the calculation, and the Eleventh Doctor's screwdriver finished them. The Fifth Doctor's screwdriver doesn't factor into the matter.
Tennant's screwdriver was destroyed twice. Once in the hospital on the moon episode and once in "the eleventh hour". I'm going to assume the Tardis keeps a copy of the software.
Eleventh's screwdriver was "made" by the TARDIS, so whatever software was in an earlier version would be passed on that way.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote