Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 22 2013, 11:58 PM   #46
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: About the KHAN scream.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Nobody reacts to a death like that.
How do you know?

Oh wait. You don't.
Old November 23 2013, 12:07 AM   #47
Opus
Commodore

They already had a homage to the Khan scream in Trek 09, when Nero shouts "Spock!" in anger. And there it was much more organic.
Sooooo.... now every time someone yells a name in Trek it's an homage to the 'Khan' scream?

Yeah... riiiiiight...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:10 AM   #48
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Cuz Star Trek was the first to do it...
Old November 23 2013, 12:14 AM   #49
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Opus wrote: View Post
They already had a homage to the Khan scream in Trek 09, when Nero shouts "Spock!" in anger. And there it was much more organic.
Sooooo.... now every time someone yells a name in Trek it's an homage to the 'Khan' scream?

Yeah... riiiiiight...
OMG CorporalClegg your avatar is killing me! I love it!
Is that an actual screencap from TAS? I've never seen it, but I went ahead and picked up TAS when I got my TOS blu rays, so I'll be watching TAS for the first time when I finish my marathon of TOS.
Old November 23 2013, 12:23 AM   #50
CorporalClegg
Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
OMG CorporalClegg your avatar is killing me! I love it!
Is that an actual screencap from TAS? I've never seen it, but I went ahead and picked up TAS when I got my TOS blu rays, so I'll be watching TAS for the first time when I finish my marathon of TOS.
Thanks! It's courtesy of CorporalCaptain. And, yes, it's from the TAS episode Mudd's Passion.
Old November 23 2013, 12:34 AM   #51
borgboy
Fleet Captain

This bodes really well for how much I'm going to like TAS
Old November 23 2013, 12:42 AM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

borgboy wrote: View Post
This bodes really well for how much I'm going to like TAS
The animation looks a little cheap and rushed. Other than that the series was very hit and miss, much like the rest of Star Trek.
Old November 23 2013, 12:53 AM   #53
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Okay, here's the thing:

Khan doesn't beam Kirk up in the original scream scene because he genuinely believes Kirk has been stranded, and genuinely believes that stranding him is a worse punishment than simply killing him. When he says "I've done worse than kill you" he means it literally.

Kirk doing the scream is playing along with this notion in order to make the deception work. He is playing the part of a man who has been successfully outwitted by Khan. (The "you're going to have to come down here" line isn't the best, but reads as a taunt out of desperation in this context.)

I always thought that was really quite obvious in TWOK, I'm surprised to see so many people are confused about it.

Last edited by BigSnake; November 23 2013 at 01:11 AM.
BigSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:54 AM   #54
teacock
Admiral

I have somehow managed to lose my TAS dvd set. Which is upsetting. And yeah you will love TAS because it's the same actors as voice. Some of it is hilarious.

I'm going to buy another one.. oh and as I recall the Alan Dean Foster books of TAS were great. And what's really cool is how TOS-R used visuals of Vulcan from TAS in their added scenes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 01:05 AM   #55
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I am prepared for the animation to be dated and unimpressive. I think the voice acting will be a big win for me still though, and even if the eps are hit or miss, that means some will be hits. And hey, it's Star Trek I've never seen before!
Old November 23 2013, 01:11 AM   #56
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
I always thought that was really quite obvious in TWOK, I'm surprised to see so many people are confused about it.
It's not that it isn't obvious, it's that it just doesn't work. Being left to spend your retirement years in paradise with your family and best friend isn't exactly "punishment."
Old November 23 2013, 01:11 AM   #57
UFO
Captain

Opus wrote: View Post

Yeah... riiiiiight...
ST09 was homaging uncontrollably from all orifices. What are chances it wasn't?

BTW, having taken another look at The Menagerie it does appear my impression of Proto Spock's extroverted nature was unsupported. But he appears to behave no differently to any other human and there are a number of desplays of emotion apart from the ones with the flowers and the women. Certainly there is no indication of any Vulcan emotion suppression going on. So I would still say the two Spocks are very different emotionally even if surface impressions, due to the situations Proto Spock was in, hides that somewhat.

Of course its the second pilot that takes him a step towards his true self, but still isn't there yet.

I guess people think Shat oversold it and therefore must have actually meant it. But it must be hard to scream "convincingly" without the facial expressiongs. The first time you see it you have no reason to doubt it of course. Then again maybe there was a script change after that?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 01:13 AM   #58
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

I thought both of the screams were silly. Shatner's was just scene chewing, and I can't watch it without either laughing or rolling my eyes. Quinto just didn't sell it. It's an over the top moment (good or bad), ya' got gnaw on the scenery and blow out a lung; he just didn't throw himself into it.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 01:16 AM   #59
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
It's not that it isn't obvious, it's that it just doesn't work. Being left to spend your retirement years in paradise with your family and best friend isn't exactly "punishment."
Far as Khan's concerned he's entombing Kirk in a few small chambers "in the center of a dead planet."
Old November 23 2013, 01:16 AM   #60
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

They ripped off Superman with the TWOK scream.