Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate the tv movie
Excellent 95 83.33%
Above Average 17 14.91%
Average 2 1.75%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 25 2013, 08:38 PM   #76
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

I finally watched it this evening.

Wow.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it reduced to a blubber of tears, especially with the final scene and the post-credit interviews. What a beautiful film. Not just a story about the beginnings of Doctor Who, but also women in the work place (mostly Verity, but a hint of Delia, too), capturing people's imagination of the space race, and most importantly, the story of the great William Hartnell himself.

David Bradley completely captured the wonderfully cranky charm of William Hartnell and his love for Doctor Who with lots of fun moments like playing "Doctor Who" with the kids in the park, his conversations with his granddaughter, and perfectly stubborn about making sure things were done right on the set. Jessica Raine and Brian Cox were also terrific as Verity and Sydney.

I loved seeing glimpses of An Unearthly Child, The Daleks (although I'm surprised they didn't recreate the iconic Barbara moment), Marco Polo ("Shame it's not in color"), The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Westminster Bridge is cleared off for Daleks again!), The Web Planet, The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve, and The Tenth Planet (the sight of the Cyberman actor smoking a cigarette in costume reminds me of that photo of Kevin "Link" Lindsay smoking a cigarette with Jon Pertwee in costume).

I also loved all of the little cameos from Carole Ann Ford, Anneke Wills, Jean Marsh, William Russell (I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't recognize him at all!), and especially Matt Smith and his silent, respectful appearance.

The post-credit interviews were icing on the cake, especially Jessica Carney and Terrance Dicks.

As much as I loved "The Day of the Doctor" and "The Light at the End" (and "The Night of the Doctor"), An Adventure in Space and Time is my favorite celebration of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, hands down.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:09 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

I don't think we got the post-credit interviews on this side of the pond.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:23 PM   #78
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The thing that sold it for me was after Verity Lambert left and the new producer was giving instructions and Hartnell (for it was he) said "I can't close the doors from this side of the console". To which the disembodied voice said "does it matter?".

"Of course it matters".

Hartnell totally understood.

Did you not get him in makeup for panto a few years after he left DW? It was strange because he had a disconnect between what he was doing and what he was saying. His daughter's comments were very touching too.
Old November 25 2013, 10:46 PM   #79
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I very happily found An Adventure in Space and Time included in the 50th Anniversary package I purchased on iTunes Saturday, and as I watched it, I marveled at all the things I did know (very few) and all the things I didn't (very many) about the origin and creation of Doctor Who as a television series.

By the end, I was quite moved and satisfied by the picture. I can forgive historical inaccuracy; it's a movie, not a documentary.

Lastly, those of you deriding, complaining about or just quizzically unhappy with the Matt Smith cameo are completely missing the point. It was a beautiful moment and I was very happy with it.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Emh wrote: View Post
Jessica Raine and Brian Cox were also terrific as Verity and Sydney.
I initially thought it was Brian Cox being Brian Cox, but having subsequently seen a clip of Newman in interview, I'm impressed at how true a portrayal it is.

As much as I loved "The Day of the Doctor" and "The Light at the End" (and "The Night of the Doctor"), An Adventure in Space and Time is my favorite celebration of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, hands down.
There's also The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, written and directed by Peter Davison and starring some very familiar faces. Well worth half an hour of this Whovian's time.
Old November 26 2013, 01:01 AM   #81
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Lastly, those of you deriding, complaining about or just quizzically unhappy with the Matt Smith cameo are completely missing the point. It was a beautiful moment and I was very happy with it.
I understand it old friend, It just didn't work for me. I'm glad you liked it though.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 06:32 AM   #82
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Wereghost wrote: View Post
There's also The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, written and directed by Peter Davison and starring some very familiar faces. Well worth half an hour of this Whovian's time.
Of course, that was very good, too. I don't know why I forgot to mention it.

Old November 26 2013, 06:47 AM   #83
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I absolutely adored it. I was definitely tearing up at the end. An absolutely lovely film and Mr. Bradley was wonderful in it. I think it did a very good job of capturing the "feeling" of the time.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 11:04 AM   #84
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I was afraid to come into the Doctor Who forum because I had recorded all the stuff that aired for the 50th anniversary (I have seen Day of the Doctor, finally). I decided to write my review of this on Facebook but since I've seen everything, I figured I should post it here too.

I watched Adventures in Space and Time tonight and I really liked it. I've actually seen the first episode of Doctor Who (I think I downloaded it) but I really liked how they portrayed the trials and tribulations of getting the show on the Air. The actors who played Hartnall, Varity, and Waris were all great. However, I have to say I thought the show started off a little slow. The point in the show where they talked about the Kennedy Assassination was when it really got going and I was hooked from there, especially the scene where Varity asks to re-air the first episode of Doctor Who again.

One thing I was wondering after watching this was the Kennedy Assassination and Doctor Who happened in about a Day's time. I wonder what it was like in Britain during that time, seeing this new scifi series targeted towards children but having it go up against the news that Kennedy had been shot. I also found it interesting that this show in America aired on the day Kennedy was shot, 50 years later. It almost served as a documentary of not just the beginnings of Doctor Who, but that time when JFK was assassinated.
Something of an addendem to this was I think I agree with EMH regarding this film being the best of the 50th anniversary specials. It really was a well done film, and as someone who doesn't know anything about Doctor Who prior to 2005, it was nice to see a film chronicling the creation of this great series. I'm not sure how much of it is true or not, but all of it was enjoyable.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 06:07 PM   #85
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

One thing I forgot to mention earlier: I had no idea Jacqueline Hill and Verity Lambert were friends prior to working together on Doctor Who. It was nice to see a hint of that friendship in early scenes of the film.

Old November 27 2013, 09:57 AM   #86
Newspaper Taxi
Fleet Captain

I absolutely loved this. I enjoyed The Day of the Doctor, but this to me was the true anniversary special. I can't say much that isn't just a fan-girl fangirling, so I'll get to my one critque:

I laughed when Matt Smith popped up. I understand the poetic symbolism, but most of the poetic symbolism didn't violate my suspension of disbelief. The Exterminate/Kennedy scene was a powerful use of this kind of cinematic poetry. I know that he wasn't literally reading the script at the same time as JFK getting shot, but that's fine, because he doesn't know that JFK is getting shot either -- he doesn't have access to knowledge outside of the in-universe world. Having Hartnall's actor see Matt Smith was a visual symbol that Hartnal couldn't conjure up in-universe -- even if he envisioned other doctors, would any of them be in their mid 20's? -- and so the story is broken and I can see the man behind the curtain winking at me.

I actually think the simplest solution would be to have him look off into the distance, and not let us see what he sees. Perhaps even give us a view of the other characters watching him look off into the future, so that we can share in a mutual "What kind of future must Hartnall have imagined?" moment. That amount of 'twinkle' would be hard for an actor to portray but the guy playing Hartnall could have pulled it off; The amount of which he communicated to the audience was outstanding.

So yeah. Loved. I'd give it a perfect score, even though I recognize that it wasn't perfect. I'm amazed at how captivating it was -- I'd love to see more of those films by Gatiss documenting the entire tenure of Doctor Who. Imagine Colin Baker's movie! Hell of a story there.
Old November 27 2013, 04:32 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
-- and so the story is broken and I can see the man behind the curtain winking at me.
Which I think was the idea. After all, the next thing they did was to show the actual Hartnell version of the "I shall come back" speech, which revealed the unreality of the Bradley version we saw earlier. So basically the ending was an acknowledgment that this was a dramatization rather than reality.

In a way, they were saying:
Be cheerful, sir,
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air;
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp’d towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great Globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
(The Tempest, IV.i.159-170)

Which I think is a pretty good reminder that one shouldn't mistake a docudrama for real history. This may have been a representation of the show's origins in 1963-6, but it's actually a creation of 2013, and it's good to remember that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 01:48 AM   #88
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Didn't know what to expect when I first this,but it was good,david Bradley did did a great performance as hartnell.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 07:18 AM   #89
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Watched the movie a second time, then watched clips from "The Aztecs" on Netflix....and the real Hartnell was certainly more vital and vigorous than the way Bradley portrayed him. I mean, I loved the movie but Hartnell came across more as a doddering old man in it than he does in the actual episodes. Of course, The Aztecs was an early episode, right? So maybe that explains it. It was before he got run down and overworked.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 08:57 AM   #90
I am not Spock
Commodore

Excellent. Loved it.

I was most impressed with David Bradley's performance as Hartnell, and Jessica Raine was great as Verity Lambert.

This was an even better love letter to the show than the 50th anniversary special