New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate the tv movie
Excellent 95 83.33%
Above Average 17 14.91%
Average 2 1.75%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23 2013, 07:52 PM   #61
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

Lovely piece of work.
Old November 23 2013, 08:02 PM   #62
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
The Smith cameo at the end worked perfectly for me. YMMV.
Ditto. I thought it was very effective, and feel that anything involving a sequence of all the Doctors would have been too much.
Old November 23 2013, 10:21 PM   #63
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

chardman wrote: View Post
USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
The Smith cameo at the end worked perfectly for me. YMMV.
Ditto. I thought it was very effective, and feel that anything involving a sequence of all the Doctors would have been too much.
You get so much more out of putting two living, breathing, talented actors in the same room that you would get with a montage of old footage that I don't understand how anyone would suggest the opposite.
Old November 23 2013, 11:06 PM   #64
The Cutest of Borg
Rear Admiral

Loved it. For me, it was more than a documentary about the making of Doctor Who. It was a story about a man who truly discovers the spotlight in his later years, but can't continue because he is betrayed by his body. The Matt Smith cameo fit perfectly with how I saw the story - Bill Hartnell recognized for a brief moment that what he laid the foundation for would endure, and people would remember.

My Office Space spoof
The Cutest of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 12:00 AM   #65
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Here are some recreations of iconic Hartnell scenes they made featuring Bradley as the Doctor:

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:29 AM   #66
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Off the wall comment: When I saw the exterior shot of the BBC office, my first though was it could entomb a lot of Cybermen.

I enjoyed the film. Especially they way the captured the period. Great attention to detail. Solid performances by all the lead. Though I do have to wonder if Sydney Newman spoke like that, Didn't sound very Canadian.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 09:19 AM   #67
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

David Bradley really gave an award worthy performance. The moment between him and Matt Smith was heartbreakingly beautiful.
Old November 24 2013, 09:21 AM   #68
lurok
Commodore

Old November 24 2013, 05:00 PM   #69
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Isn't the reconstruction slightly anachronistic in that Susan says the more familiar 'Dimensions' in the reconstruction but at the time the line was 'dimension'? or am I misremembering that?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:34 PM   #70
Nightowl1701
Commander

Well, that was her saying it while taping the pilot, right? And a taping that went all wrong thanks to the TARDIS doors opening and the sprinklers going off. So they later reshot the scene and she slipped and said 'dimension' instead. Only four tape edits possible per episode (as they mentioned), so the slip stayed in. No big deal.
Nightowl1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:53 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

I didn't get to see this when it aired Friday due to a cable outage, but I just saw it via On Demand. It was a good movie, a good tribute. Bradley was very good as Hartnell; the voice wasn't particularly exact, but he managed to capture the mannerisms pretty well, and gave a moving performance. The cast was very good overall. And the recreation of the period was marvelous. I was glad to see that the console room did have one wall that was just a photo backdrop of the roundels after all, though it was smaller than the real one.

Of course it was a fictionalization, a distillation, rather than a literal, exact recreation of historical events, but anyone who expects strict accuracy from a drama is looking in the wrong place. Juxtaposing Newman reading the script for "The Daleks" with Oswald assassinating Kennedy was chronologically unrealistic, but dramatically very powerful. A lot of this was taking different events and threads and creating composite scenes to summarize things that took place more gradually and diffusely in reality, just as some of the characters, notably Newman and Pinfield, were composites, given credit for multiple people's contributions. But it made it work better as a drama.

One or two of the inaccuracies did bug me a bit, though. The main one was the shot of Delia Derbyshire playing the theme on a keyboard. As I understand it, the theme was created in a musique concrete style by painstakingly splicing together hundreds of strips of audiotape, with every note and every different sound element being a different piece of tape. But then, the saga of the theme's creation probably deserves a movie of its own, so they had to simplify. Still, I wish it had gotten more than a few seconds.

Also, the bit about turning on a switch to make the time rotor rise and fall puzzled me. I always thought that was done manually by a stagehand pushing on a lever or bellows or something. A motor on set would've been too noisy.

And yes, the actress playing Susan did fudge her line and said "Relative Dimensions in Space" instead of "Dimension."

I liked the way Gatiss picked out scenes from the episodes that symbolically resonated with where Hartnell was or where the story was -- from showing the "Danger" warning on the TARDIS console just before the Kennedy sequence to Hartnell stumbling over the Doctor's speech about all his companions leaving. And it was great how the opening flashforward scene with the bobby carried a totally different layer of meaning once we saw it again in context: "You have to move on. You're in the way."

The Smith cameo was a little corny, but it pretty much worked as a symbolic moment. A montage of all the Doctors would've been way too much, and we got plenty of that in "The Day of the Doctor." And Smith is the reigning Doctor as of the 50th anniversary, the event this movie was made to commemorate, so his appearance symbolizes that achievement.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 02:40 AM   #72
arch101
Fleet Captain

That was a great little film and deserves to be included with the regular series' run. Count me in the 'win' column for the Smith cameo- it was perfect- short and symbolic.
Would love to see the deleted scene from "The Three Doctors" that was apparently shot.
Old November 25 2013, 03:42 AM   #73
Christopher
Writer

By the way, seeing in that behind-the-scenes special that Waris Hussein is still alive, I wondered why he hasn't been brought back to direct more Doctor Who. Wouldn't it have been wild if he'd directed this very movie? Or even "The Day of the Doctor?"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:45 AM   #74
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I'm not versed on – or really even a fan of – old Who, so I wasn't expecting to have much of a reaction to this, but wow. It was wonderful, and so emotional by the end. That Matt Smith cameo... I thought I didn't like his take on the Doctor much, yet seeing him in that context made me realize how much I've to love his crazy mug.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
The moment between him and Matt Smith was heartbreakingly beautiful.
It was devastating. The whole sequence leading up to it was a tearjerker, of course, but Smith pushed me over the edge; I broke down weeping when he appeared. I don't think TV has done that for me in a long, long time. It felt like it pulled my heart out.
Old November 25 2013, 08:03 AM   #75
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

So do we know if this is getting any sort of dvd release? Seems a 50th Anniversay box set with this, Day of the Doctor, the Five(ish) Doctors, the mini-sodes, and plenty of extras and commentaries would be a no-brainer.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote