Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old November 27 2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: NuTrek's Starfleet

Making more edits to the introduction chapters based on your feedback. Will repost as those are finished.

In the mean time, take a look at this:

Old November 27 2013, 02:58 PM   #17
anh165
Commander

Very nice stuff.

Will there be any material to cover the USS Vengeance 'Dreadnought' class aswell?
Old November 27 2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
Very nice stuff.

Will there be any material to cover the USS Vengeance 'Dreadnought' class aswell?
Absolutely.

Bear in mind, however, that a good deal of the Dreadnought's specifications may be classified.
Old November 27 2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

And two more:

Old November 27 2013, 05:28 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Nice!

I like the comparison between the "design proposal" and finished vessel. I'd previously figured that the TOS Constitution design never existed in the alternate universe (i.e. what we got was this timeline's plan A, based on different design parameters a the project's outset), but after seeing that NCC-0718 hologram in the ID deleted scene and read "old style Constitution-class" somewhere (either one of the Starfleet Academy novels or a fanfic) I've wondered how both designs might have co-existed somehow.

As for the USS Vengeance, the novel The Return featured a Defiant-class ship with a similar paint job, described as a layer of "microdiffracted carbon" to absorb visible radiation.
Old November 27 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Okay...so what happened to Constitution herself?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 11:29 PM   #22
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Okay...so what happened to Constitution herself?
Funny story. Short version (long version possibly included in later chapters) is this: It's common practice for Starfleet to build a "ground test article," basically a full-sized working prototype of a starship class for testing system integration, computers, upgrades, and so on. The test article is effectively a completed and fully operational starship with no warp drive or deflectors installed.

The original test article was NX-1700 and was supposed to be named Enterprise while the first operational ship was to be the Constitution (so it actually should have been the Enterprise class). Admiral Marcus didn't like the idea of the Enterprise name going to what was essentially a dummy starship, so he had them switched, justifying it by claiming he wanted to name the entire series after famous aircraft carriers.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Nice!

I like the comparison between the "design proposal" and finished vessel. I'd previously figured that the TOS Constitution design never existed in the alternate universe (i.e. what we got was this timeline's plan A, based on different design parameters a the project's outset), but after seeing that NCC-0718 hologram in the ID deleted scene and read "old style Constitution-class" somewhere (either one of the Starfleet Academy novels or a fanfic) I've wondered how both designs might have co-existed somehow.

As for the USS Vengeance, the novel The Return featured a Defiant-class ship with a similar paint job, described as a layer of "microdiffracted carbon" to absorb visible radiation.
I liked that novel. IIRC, it also featured a type of Starfleet battle gear that included personal forcefields and some kind of powered armor
Old November 28 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

The mass figures seem really excessively low.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 09:30 AM   #24
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Talked about this in another thread.

I'm basing the mass figures on the relative densities of real-world spacecraft and aircraft. Apart from the fact that making the ship as light as feasible reduces strain on the engines (and thus provides certain advantages for the lighter ship over the heavier one) there's also the fact that less-dense construction materials react more favorably to hyper-velocity impacts than denser ones, since the low-density materials will not transmit shockwaves nearly as well as denser ones. There's also the fact that the stronger materials used in starship construction means less internal space is required by structural support work, which means a lot more of that internal volume is truly empty space.

Basically: the Enterprise is a giant space shuttle, not a flying aircraft carrier.
Old November 28 2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Even assuming shuttle orbiter densities, that's still somewhere in the 90kg/m^3 - 110kg/m^3 which are still substantially greater than your mass figures, given that the ship would be a 3-4 million cubic meter volume.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 08:35 PM   #26
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

I did the calculations for Enterprise quite some time ago so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. IIRC, I worked backwards from a volume similar to the Ambassdor class (about 2.8 million cubic meters) and the space shuttle's basic density (about 100kg per cubic meter). So if we built a ship the size of Enterprise with TODAYS space technology, it would weigh something like 280,000 tons. Then I accounted for the use of much lighter materials in the ship's construction -- closed-cell metal foams, metallic glasses, advanced ceramics, etc -- and reduced that weight by a third. The older flagships and the more conventional ships have slightly higher densities, but they're also a bit smaller.

Still, the fully-loaded Enterprise, with a standard mission load of equipment, fuel, food, shuttles and crew on board, would come closer to 210,000 tons. I'm not quoting an exact "fully loaded" figure for the ship because, frankly, such a figure would be completely irrelevant for a spacecraft whose only real limitation is the volume of its cargo bay; you could fill the ship with neutronium and it could still fly (if a lot slower than usual) to the nearest starbase to deliver it.

ETA: Significantly, I found a tag reference in my notes from 2011 that a spacecraft's density actually decreases with volume, primarily because most of the mass of the ship is concentrated in the outer layers (heat shields, radiation/impact protection). An ISS module like Destiny, with a density of 120kg/cubic meter, would have a density closer to 70kg/cubic meter if you doubled its size.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; November 28 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 06:50 PM   #27
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Good of you to remember that "sensor bay" concept from the TNG Tech Manual...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 09:05 PM   #28
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Good of you to remember that "sensor bay" concept from the TNG Tech Manual...
Well that, but I'm also inspired by someone mentioning this as an explanation for the room where Picard showed Lilly the Earth in "First Contact." Seeing how it was only accessible from the jeffries tubes, there's no reason for that room -- or the exterior door, for that matter -- unless something like a sensor probe or scientific instrument was supposed to be installed in that bay and deployed into space when needed.

In this case, the "sensor bays" are installed behind (most of) the visible windows on the Enterprise. Most of the auxiliary sensor modules are the size of pickup trucks and so they fill basically the entire bay. Of course a few of those windows are just windows...
Old December 2 2013, 10:47 PM   #29
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Awesome work Crazy Eddie! Inspiring stuff!
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 11:51 PM   #30
iguana_tonante
Admiral

This is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

(Also, Torchwood. Nice touch )