RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,357
Posts: 5,503,122
Members: 25,122
Currently online: 479
Newest member: almehtabshaikh

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 19 2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Saginaw
Cadet
 
Location: Texas, USA
Size of the S.S. Aurora?

I'm curious as to the possible size of the remastered S.S. Aurora that was seen in the episode 'The Way to Eden'. Any ideas? Thanks!


--Saginaw
Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Wingsley
Commodore
 
Wingsley's Avatar
 
Location: Wingsley
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Has anyone ever drawn any schematics or made any 3D art of the remastered Aurora?
__________________
"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. / The day that you tarry is the day that you lose. / Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder / Where the fair wind blows ..."
-- Lyrics, Jeremiah Johnson's theme.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

I think Okuda or someone once stated that the design was meant to invoke the '60's hippy VW bus, so it's probably not larger than that. The round windows seem to be a dead giveaway as to size, if those windows are meant to have one seat for each window.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 01:11 AM   #4
Saginaw
Cadet
 
Location: Texas, USA
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Has anyone ever drawn any schematics or made any 3D art of the remastered Aurora?
I found one at the Ex Astris Scientia website. It's in the very first entry:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...ther_ships.htm

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I think Okuda or someone once stated that the design was meant to invoke the '60's hippy VW bus, so it's probably not larger than that. The round windows seem to be a dead giveaway as to size, if those windows are meant to have one seat for each window.
Wow! That's a LOT smaller than what I thought! I figured that it would be at least 100'/30m long to accomodate a small but adequate engineering section. Interesting.


--Saginaw
Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Avro Arrow's Avatar
 
Location: Secret Arctic Base
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

OK, forgive me, I was bored and I wanted to try my hand at this, since I hadn't really done something like this before.

I could really see this ship as being the 'runabout' of the 23rd century. That said, if we were to scale the main body of this ship to the Danube class (23 m long, according to Ex Astris Scientia... and I hope it's right, because I didn't verify it anywhere else! ) then the J class comes out at about 32 m long, which is right around Saginaw's minimum expectation. At this scale, it looks like there's probably enough room for two decks in the front part of the ship (justifying the two rows of windows), and it would narrow down to a single deck in the aft section.



I think the comparisons to the VW bus can only be taken figuratively, since if we scale the body of the ship to match the bus, the ship comes in right around 6 m, and it looks way too small to accommodate Sevrin's group. (Granted, you could probably try to scale it such that the largest part of the main body, say from just aft of the front of the ship to about where the front of the nacelles are, matched the size of the bus, and you might have better results, but I'll leave that to someone else to try! )

So, yeah, I guess I'm more in the 30-ish metre camp, but I assume someone will point out why this doesn't make sense at all!

Image credits: The Danube and the J Class are from Ex Astris Scientia. The VW bus was found from a Google image search and is from a site called behance.net. The person icon was also found from an image search, and is from calacademy.org, but has been recoloured. (It is scaled to represent a 183 cm (6 ft) tall person.) I believe based on what I have used them for here, they should be covered under fair use, but if anyone disagrees, let me know, and I can take the image down. And my apologies if I have made any calculation errors!
__________________
Runtime Exception: Witty signature not generated.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

I'd imagine its interior space is about the size of a 6-10 passenger private jet, but with more headroom. It's referred to as a cruiser, so it might have sleeping cabins.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
So, yeah, I guess I'm more in the 30-ish metre camp, but I assume someone will point out why this doesn't make sense at all!
On the contrary, I find the 2-window row argument rather convincing, BUT...

When I read the thread title I hoped we'd be discussing the "real" S.S. Aurora.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:30 PM   #8
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
.

When I read the thread title I hoped we'd be discussing the "real" S.S. Aurora.

Bob
The original (none of it's real!) Aurora was blueprinted by Todd Gunther in the early 80's. He worked out a length of 21.10m. Not totally sure, but I think they're online at www.cygnus-x1.net.

It would have been cool to see either of the Auroras among the sky traffic on Earth in ID.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:32 PM   #9
RESPCT
SPCTRE
 
RESPCT's Avatar
 
Location: Skyhold
View RESPCT's Twitter Profile
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

It's in the way that you use it

There's no :singing: smilie, sorry.
__________________
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The original (none of it's real!) Aurora was blueprinted by Todd Gunther in the early 80's. He worked out a length of 21.10m. Not totally sure, but I think they're online at www.cygnus-x1.net.
I know, that's why I put these " "

I do have these conjectural plans myself, but the warp nacelles are obviously inaccurate (which might be attributed to a lack of better reference materials available to Todd Guenther, then).

The available HD screencap reveals the warp nacelles to have sensor dishes (AMT Enterprise model kit) at the front of the nacelles, instead of just two "intercoolers" there seem to be six of those attached to the Aurora's warp nacelles while the stern of the nacelles is somewhat "flat".

I wonder if the proportions between the main body (reuse of Tholian vessel) and the nacelles could suggest a different conjectural size for the original Aurora.

The way it looks to me the vessel could land using its nacelle pylons as landing pads, depending which side view drawing is the more accurate.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Last edited by Robert Comsol; August 20 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
I think the comparisons to the VW bus can only be taken figuratively
No doubt, but the scale of the human figure relative to the VW bus is off in your drawing. The "hippie van" (Volkswagen Type 2) is 2.040 meters tall according to Wiki whether T1 or T2, which should be noticeably taller than your 1.83 meters person.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 04:49 PM   #12
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

I probably misspoke when I equated the homage to the VW bus with the size of the VW bus. The 30 meter ship definitely seems more accurate, especially if the two rows of windows are meant to be two decks on the ship.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 05:57 AM   #13
Wingsley
Commodore
 
Wingsley's Avatar
 
Location: Wingsley
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
OK, forgive me, I was bored and I wanted to try my hand at this, since I hadn't really done something like this before.

I could really see this ship as being the 'runabout' of the 23rd century. That said, if we were to scale the main body of this ship to the Danube class (23 m long, according to Ex Astris Scientia... and I hope it's right, because I didn't verify it anywhere else! ) then the J class comes out at about 32 m long, which is right around Saginaw's minimum expectation. At this scale, it looks like there's probably enough room for two decks in the front part of the ship (justifying the two rows of windows), and it would narrow down to a single deck in the aft section.



I think the comparisons to the VW bus can only be taken figuratively, since if we scale the body of the ship to match the bus, the ship comes in right around 6 m, and it looks way too small to accommodate Sevrin's group. (Granted, you could probably try to scale it such that the largest part of the main body, say from just aft of the front of the ship to about where the front of the nacelles are, matched the size of the bus, and you might have better results, but I'll leave that to someone else to try! )

So, yeah, I guess I'm more in the 30-ish metre camp, but I assume someone will point out why this doesn't make sense at all!

Image credits: The Danube and the J Class are from Ex Astris Scientia. The VW bus was found from a Google image search and is from a site called behance.net. The person icon was also found from an image search, and is from calacademy.org, but has been recoloured. (It is scaled to represent a 183 cm (6 ft) tall person.) I believe based on what I have used them for here, they should be covered under fair use, but if anyone disagrees, let me know, and I can take the image down. And my apologies if I have made any calculation errors!


Mant thanks to Avro Arrow for posting this comparison image. Probably the most plausible conjecture I've seen.

The Memory Alpha article on the "remastered" Aurora states some interesting notions as well…

An explanation of the strange original version look of the Aurora was attempted in the Star Trek Maps, which stated:

"Space cruisers like the S.S. Aurora have been in use for over a century, and are based on a Vulcan design originally used for interplanetary travel. Essentially a 21-meter-long space yacht, space cruisers have a range of several dozen parsecs and can carry provisions for up to six passengers and crew."
The diagram, appearing on Chart B, depicts the Aurora with a registry of NCC-C1200, and a nacelle-style more akin to those found on a Class F shuttlecraft.
FWIW, I see a "space cruiser" (or "yacht") as being large enough to accommodate a crew of at least six for a limited deep-space voyage. A voyage would mean the crew would be away from its home planet (or space station, or mothership) for days at a time. The ship is obviously larger and more capable than a Starfleet Class F shuttlecraft, and is probably capable of more extended durations in space. Since Space Cruiser Aurora gave chase to a Class I Heavy Star Cruiser, we can assume she has (at least some) smoke. Faster than a typically-outfitted Class F Shuttlecraft? Probably. (At least, Aurora must've been to make Enterprise sweat)

One interesting thing to note is that she might fit into the main Constitution-class landing bay, but would probably not fit through the turntable to the storage hangar below. So if a Connie carried a "kit" to make one of these ships, it would most likely have to be assembled in that main landing bay, not the below-deck hangar. (It could be suspended above the landing bay floor to avoid impeding launching and recovery of other craft; imagine a kind of drydock arrangement hanging from the bay's ceiling.) So, in theory, a Federation starship might be able to "hangar" such a vessel, but would not typically house or deploy one of more of these craft. So, that would be a major difference between starships and "Runabouts" of the 23rd vs. 24th centuries.

In order to be the kind of craft I'm describing, a 32-meter Aurora would have to house the following facilities within her hull:
  • crew living area
  • cockpit/"bridge"
  • airlocks for EVA/disembarkation on planet surfaces
  • food/supplies storage
  • computer(s)
  • engine room?
  • subspace transmitters, scanner/sensors
  • restroom/lavatory
  • sleeping facilities
  • equipment & space suit storage
  • possible planetfall gear, in the event of engine failure (vehicular parachutes, etc.)

I'd say the Runabout analogy would be about right for a TNG frame of mind. A closer TOS-era analogy might be the Jupiter II (or SPACE:1999's Eagles). In a TMP-era frame of mind, she might be more like a primitive scout, like a crude first attempt at a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Note the seam running down the length of the main hull. I wonder if it would be possible for a ship of that size to have separation capability, with the lower half able to "drop away" from orbit and land while the upper half remains in orbit to goes on to other tasks, Apollo moon mission style. (Or perhaps the front section of the hull is the "mission module" that separates, leaving the aft section (engineering?) in orbit with the nacelles. If so, the aft separation line would probably be just behind the aft-most windows.
__________________
"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. / The day that you tarry is the day that you lose. / Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder / Where the fair wind blows ..."
-- Lyrics, Jeremiah Johnson's theme.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 07:31 AM   #14
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Avro Arrow's Avatar
 
Location: Secret Arctic Base
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
I think the comparisons to the VW bus can only be taken figuratively
No doubt, but the scale of the human figure relative to the VW bus is off in your drawing. The "hippie van" (Volkswagen Type 2) is 2.040 meters tall according to Wiki whether T1 or T2, which should be noticeably taller than your 1.83 meters person.
It's entirely possible I've messed something up there. I got the bus measurements from bustopia.com. I will freely admit that I don't know enough about VW buses to be able to differentiate the models, but in looking over their chart, the heights seem to range from about 192 cm to 195 cm. I'm not sure why they are different than the height Wikipedia provides? But at any rate, at that scale the van should either be 1 or 2 pixels taller than the person, but in the image they are the same.
__________________
Runtime Exception: Witty signature not generated.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 02:21 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Size of the S.S. Aurora?

The Space Hippie vessel not only has two rows of windows, but also a suggestion of people behind those windows: the bow porthole seems to feature two people standing up, one in red clothing, and the upper side portholes appear to have a railing running along the lower edge. The lower side portholes also have this railing, which appears to kink down towards the stern, perhaps suggesting there's an entry ramp there.

That'd probably double the size of the vessel to at least 60 meters, leaving plenty of room for machinery...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.