RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,247
Members: 25,413
Currently online: 530
Newest member: Alter Ego

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 11 2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Wadjda
Commander

Scalzi's Redshirts adapted on the big screen?

Could such thing ever happen, now that Star Trek will be a cultural phenomenon for years to come thank to the new movies. Could this be a new more serious Galaxy Quest?

What would you like to see changed? I know it would be a huge difference but i would like to see the entire plot take place in the Universal Union. Just make up a new clever ending, the IRL Earth stuff took me out of the story.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Scalzi's Redshirts adapted on the big screen?

I haven't read the book... yet. But I don't see how having more sci-fi on the big screen would be a bad thing.
Old December 12 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

IMHO, the central theme of Redshirts....

...makes it most suited for novel form.
Old December 12 2013, 04:00 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post
Could such thing ever happen, now that Star Trek will be a cultural phenomenon for years to come thank to the new movies. Could this be a new more serious Galaxy Quest?

What would you like to see changed? I know it would be a huge difference but i would like to see the entire plot take place in the Universal Union. Just make up a new clever ending, the IRL Earth stuff took me out of the story.
Thing is, by removing the IRL Earth thing, aren't you essentially gutting the story of Redshirts? The stuff with the Universal Union is intentionally terrible and meant to parody sci-fi television, so how could it be a "serious Galaxy Quest?" Just the stuff about the magic box that solves their science problems would make it more the realm of parody/comedy.

Besides, Redshirts isn't even Scalzi's best book, IMO. Better they get going on an Old Man's War movie. Although, personally I think that series would be better served as a TV show, I'll gladly take a movie.
Old December 12 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Wadjda
Commander

The tone of the Universal Union stuff was more serious than Glaxy Quest.
Old December 12 2013, 05:48 PM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

But it was still very much comedic and meant to be a parody of televised sci-fi. And it works in the novel because they go off on the quest to the real world. Take that away and it's just a tacky riff on sci-fi.
Old December 12 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I liked it better the first time, when it was called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Wadjda
Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Take that away and it's just a tacky riff on sci-fi.
I would be fine with that.