Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 12 2014, 11:28 PM   #226
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Vic's was hardly the worst performance in the piece.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:23 AM   #227
M
Vice Admiral

Peronsally, I though Vic Mignogna's performance was the single best thing about "Kitumba". It felt like a truely professional television performance, while most of the other players – while really good and entertaining – never let me forget that I'm watching a fan film.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Kitumba" and am very thankful for all the work that has been put into it. It was a million times better than "Enemy: Starfleet" and "Blood and Fire". And I'm really glad this was cut into a single episode. That way the plot is pretty condensed and sometimes hard to follow, put at least it doesn't drag so much. I wish they would stop trying to put so many references to past Trek productions in there. That's not how TOS did it and it certainly isn't something I like to see in a Trek productions that strives to feel professional.

All in all, very well done! Thank you!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:37 AM   #228
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Maurice wrote: View Post
Are you responding to my post, Maurice?
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 02:38 AM   #229
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I think a growling, hating K'Sia would have diminished the role. I preferred the dignified figure who was secure in his Klingon superiority. It was nice to see the Federation on the other side of a superiority complex.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 02:58 AM   #230
urbandefault
Captain

You can definitely tell the professional actors from the amateurs in these productions. Not to diminish the efforts of the main cast over the years, but difference is noticeable.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 03:33 AM   #231
Maurice
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
No. If I'm replying to a specific post I usually quote it.
Old January 13 2014, 03:41 AM   #232
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

J. Allen wrote: View Post
No. If I'm replying to a specific post I usually quote it.
Ah, okay. I was wondering, because I spent 10 minutes looking over my post to see if I had said anything bad.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 02:32 PM   #233
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I finally got to watch this over the weekend, and it may be my favorite episode that you've done so far. The script was solid, and the location shooting at the fort really looked great. Fantastic work!

I am going to miss James Cawley as Kirk. I'm sure Brian Gross will be fine, but the trailer for the next episode didn't sell me on his performance. Fortunately, I don't have to wait long to see more of his work.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 11:08 PM   #234
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Last night, I finally had a chance to sit down and view the official release of "Kitumba."

Last edited by doubleohfive; January 16 2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Grammar, formatting
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:31 AM   #235
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

Thank you for your well-thought out critique. I agree with some of it. Others, I don't...and most fans agree with me. You can't please everyone.

Just three detailed answers. 1. the "imperialism" line was not directed at the Iran/Iraq/etc situation. As a social anthropologist it was directed at history itself. The Crusades. The American Indians. The multitude of native populations in the Russian Federation. Burma. The Spanish Inquisition. Etc etc etc. 2. the Praxis remark referred less to what happens later in Trek history and more to what was/is happening in the US. Rely on the Middle East for our energy needs and you end up in wars where you might not belong because you are in a sticky situation of possibly losing all/most of your energy supplies. 3. I believe the script better established the danger of being in the Klingon's space and homeworld. Edited out where scenes showing the difficulty of getting around on the planet without getting caught etc. Some of the footage wasn't shot - so they may have decided to eliminate it all rather than just have a few scenes. Or they may have decided it made the action too slow and wanted to speed it up. My feeling is that it removed the suspense and danger - but that is just my opinion.
Old January 17 2014, 10:53 PM   #236
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

It was great, like all the Phase II productions. Favorite line - Kirk - "I haven't seen driving that bad since I stole my uncle's Corvette". That made me laugh out loud.

You know, I've read a lot of the back in forth in this thread. I cannot for the life of me understand the vitriol directed at the people involved at making these shows, so much that Jim Cawley has seen fit to seperate himself from appearing.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but not to be a martinet like jackass. These people invest their own time and money to make this shows for no other reason than to entertain us and have some fun for themselves. The small mindedness in the cruel brickbats hurled at them boggle my mind. Jealousy? Stupidity? Probably both and more.

To the Phase II crew - kudos to you, I, and many many others, love your artwork. Heres to hoping you can keep it going for a long, long time!
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 11:46 PM   #237
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

siskokid888 wrote: View Post

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but not to be a martinet like jackass. These people invest their own time and money to make this shows for no other reason than to entertain us and have some fun for themselves. The small mindedness in the cruel brickbats hurled at them boggle my mind. Jealousy? Stupidity? Probably both and more.
I'm going to assume at least part of this is directed toward me, as I was one of (if not the only) person calling out the Phase II people on some of their more unprofessional behavior here.

You are right - everyone has a right to their opinion. And you are also right in that the people making Phase II (and all the other fan films) are doing so for fun. While I suspect "entertaining us" is not the sole reason for why these things get made, it nonetheless is an undeniable fact that these episodes are provided at no cost to Joe Q. Fan. These are labors of love. I don't deny that nor do I condemn it.

The problem I have had has been solely regarding the cognitive dissonance of Phase II's PR machine, insisting that their production tries to be as close to a professionally run production as possible, while their more vocal members still see fit to conduct themselves and their business is patently unprofessional ways. Even David Gerrold, who for all intents and purposes is a one-hit wonder, couldn't be bothered to rise above that petty kind of behavior.

As a working professional in basic cable/network television, I find it laughable. As a fan, I find it disheartening.

So I dispute your assessment that it is "small minded" to offer constructive criticism where appropriate. I dispute your assessment that pointing out the obvious disparity between what the producers at Phase II say they're doing and what they demonstrably have been doing constitutes "cruel brickbats" or that it makes me (or anyone else) a "martinet like jackass."

Part of being an artist and creating your art means also putting that art out in to the world. What makes it "art" is precisely the possibility that there will be people who don't like it. Or people who don't "get it." If James Cawley just wants to play dress-up on the Enterprise, he can do that. I suspect that was very much a reason for his starting Phase II to begin with, the same way I suspect it was a consideration for all the fan films that have been done. The point I'm trying to make is that no one is above criticism.

Last edited by doubleohfive; January 18 2014 at 02:24 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:05 AM   #238
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Just to offer my two cents, frequently the issue is that some posts in this forum cross the line from critique ("I thought her performance was weak") to attack ("she's talentless"), and even when the former is offered, often the counter argument teeters into the latter because people are passionate or/and get their feelings hurt.

I'd venture that we don't get much fair critiquing on forums like this. Why? For one thing, members of the productions actively participate in these threads, and many people either shy away from critiquing people they like personally or are overcritical of those they don't. An example I see on this forum all the time is praise for writing or acting that actually isn't even as good as other performances in the same show, but the kudos go to the "popular" kids, or those within earshot, and the reverse is true of those with an ax to grind.

Last edited by Maurice; January 18 2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: fixed some bad grammar
Old January 18 2014, 01:15 AM   #239
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Just to offer my two cents, frequently the issue is that some posts in this forum cross the line from critique ("I thought her performance was weak") to attack ("she's talentless"), and even when the former is offered, often the counter argument teeters into the latter because people are passionate or/and get their feelings hurt.

I'd venture that we don't going to get much fair critiquing on forums like this. Why? For one thing, members of the productions actively participate in these threads, and many people either shy away from critiquing people they like personally or are overcritical of those they don't. An example I see on this forum all the time is praise for acting or writing that actually isn't even as good as other performances in the same show, but the kudos go to the "popular" kids, or those within earshot, and the reverse is true of those with an ax to grind.
I'm new to the forum, but I've observed this so far as well.

I actually almost feel bad pointing out things I didn't think were done well in these kinds of productions, because I know no one's making money off of them. But at the same time, if the goal is to make something of a high quality that pushes people to reach their potential, the critiques are very valuable (even if they're tough for the folks that visit these forums to hear).

At the same time, when those critiques are informed by negative "history" among people and thus more harshly delivered than may be necessary, things can spiral down a bit.

For what it's worth to doubleoh, who seems to get tangled up with other posters from time to time, I thought a lot of your critiques had merit and hope the Phase II folks read and give them consideration before ultimately doing what they think is appropriate in the filming of future episodes.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:25 AM   #240
Maurice
Vice Admiral

A good rule of thumb is always "depersonalize", that is stop talking about the people and talk about the work on its own merits.