TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 5 2014, 05:09 PM   #166
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Well I really enjoyed it, so well done and thank you to all concerned.
Old January 5 2014, 07:14 PM   #167
scifib5st
Commander

The only draw back on this episode is the time it took to get it out. Filmed in 2009, ect..ect. I am sorry to see the "Drama" on making this episode.

On question I have not seen posted yet.

Was that the actor Christer Lloyd as a Klingon in the Taveren?

I rate this episode 10 Starships out of 10.
Thanks to all for your hard work.
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 06:14 AM   #168
Killer Frost
Commodore

Awesome work!
Killer Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 08:51 AM   #169
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

scifib5st wrote: View Post
Was that the actor Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon in the Tavern?
The Christopher Lloyd-ish Klingon in the Tavern is John Paladin (credited as "Kluge").
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; January 6 2014 at 04:59 PM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 04:18 PM   #170
KennyMadison
Ensign

View KennyMadison's Twitter Profile

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

The Christopher Lloyd-ish Klingon in the Tavern is John Paladin (credited as "Kluge").
Ha! Awesome.
KennyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 08:26 PM   #171
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Samaritan wrote: View Post
Awesome work!
Agree.

The Klingon K't'ingas looked impressive. It made me think of the K't'ingas in TMP.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:20 PM   #172
daedalus5

I enjoyed it very much. It played great on YouTube on my 50" telly. I liked the story. The acting has improved a lot. I liked the Kruger character in the bar scene as well. It had great special effects and the outdoor shots were appreciated. When they've just beamed down and you see the ships in the background, flying, it shows how much the technology has progressed that the six is better than Enterprise.

I'm looking forward to the next one. I really hope someone from CBs is loking at these and wants to take a low risk option aNd do a series for the 50th anniversary.

I really miss Star Trek and this type of work is keeping it alive.

More!
Old January 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #173
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

As someone who blasted Cawley's Kirk when "In Harm's Way" came out, the irony of missing him in future Phase II episodes is not lost on me at all.

That sentiment alone tells me that everyone who's worked on New Voyages and Phase II have grown and contributed to something amazing. Bravo to everyone not just for this show, but for the work they've put into to get to this point.

"Kitumba," along side "Blood and Fire" and "World and Enough Time" are episodes whose strengths actually come from what new material and ideas they bring to the table and how much they belong in a Star Trek production. A HUGE part of Cawley's success as Kirk is in his development and relationship with Peter. Both actors have great chemistry as well, which is hard even with "professional" productions.

I've never had any issue in actors not looking the part, as looking like a character is only one part of being a character. This I know from my experience in public theater and musicals. Knight and Stacy are excellent here, and Pony Horton. Horton (and the script) did a great job with meshing TOS and TNG culture into something that gives them a sense of cultural evolution on par with the Federation (as opposed to being retconned almost entirely thru TNG and TUC, or kinda-sorta-really-didn't-make-any-sense-retconned with the ENT Augment arc.) The analogy with England is both well put and something that I'd expect from TOS.

Despite having plenty of quibbles on how the CG elements and designs are done, I really can't complain on the story and acting side of things anymore...

...except for the Corvette line. That was just dumb, and kind of pointless given that AbramsDrek technically didn't happen here, but not even my contempt for that...motion picture diminishes how goddamn excellent this episode was. I just had to mention that before I punch a wall or something.

Plus, did Cawley finally trim his sideburns for his last appearance in front of the camera? I've been praying for that for ages! (Yeah, he has them for his day job, but things like that really get to me after, what is this, a dozen episodes between NV and Phase II?)

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!

Last edited by USS Mariner; January 8 2014 at 04:03 AM.
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:25 AM   #174
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Samaritan wrote: View Post
Awesome work!
Agree.

The Klingon K't'ingas looked impressive. It made me think of the K't'ingas in TMP.
Agreed. I loves me some starship eye candy.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 10:53 PM   #175
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

I like the corvette line.

Do Klingon ships operate within the atmosphere? One seemed to be circling the palace like a helicopter.
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:53 PM   #176
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post

Do Klingon ships operate within the atmosphere? One seemed to be circling the palace like a helicopter.
We saw the Bird of Prey land on the surface of Vulcan in The Search for Spock.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 12:03 AM   #177
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

I've watched it once, using this link from Star Trek Reviewed. I intend to watch it again, but not sure when. I enjoyed it a great deal, so I consider it a success.

A few thoughts and tidbits:

- I liked how the light inside the scanner at the bridge engineering station is red, instead of the blue that comes out of Spock's scanner. So, I guess it's blue for science and red for engineering?

- I really liked the corvette line. So, Kirk was a delinquent even in the original timeline.

- One question I have. Some Klingons beam into the climactic fight using the Federation transporter effect. Shouldn't they have come in using the red-flashing effect used in "Day of the Dove"?

- Overall a very nice blending of TOS and TNG Klingons. I can really see the love of all things Trek expressed in that.

Thanks!
Old January 9 2014, 12:24 AM   #178
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post

Yep. Loved the corvette line.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:14 AM   #179
PonyHorton
Ensign

[QUOTE=CorporalCaptain;9101014]

- One question I have. Some Klingons beam into the climactic fight using the Federation transporter effect. Shouldn't they have come in using the red-flashing effect used in "Day of the Dove"?

No, they do NOT use the Federation effect, they use a variation of the effect seen in Day Of The Dove, just with horizontal swirling. Look again.

I should know, I created it.

The Federation people come off the Enterprise, with K'Sia along, using the standard Federation transporter. Again, I created it.
PonyHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:51 AM   #180
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

OK, I watched it again several times.

Again, I used this link. The Federation beam-in is at 56:17 or so, and the Klingon beam-in is at 56:35 or so. The Kitumba beams-in around 57:50.

The Klingon transporters use a sound effect very similar to the Federation transporter sound effect, is the thing. On "Day of the Dove", the Klingon transporters made no sound. That was part of the confusion, I think.

Also, the swirling looks like a gold similar to the Federation effect. However, I do see that the swirling is horizontal, and I see some red in it now after repeated viewings, especially at the end of the cycle, but honestly it doesn't scream Klingon effect to me until the very end of the cycle.

I think another element at work here is that the whole scene is in red light, which makes perceiving the actual color of things somewhat problematic, at least for me. Was this part shot in red light on stage, or was a red filter applied during post, or some combination of both?

Thanks!