Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 8 2014, 01:29 AM   #1
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Concept for the Movie We *Should* Have Had Instead of Nemesis

Vash shows up on the Enterprise, with a message from Q that she promised Q that she would deliver at a specific place and time. The message explains that somehow the Borg have assimilated some cosmic macguffin, and using it, they managed to capture him and are attempting to assimilate him!

But, he knew this would happen a long time ago, but was unable to completely avert it for [fixed point in time/reasons/whatever]. So instead, he set up an escape plan for himself for when it ultimately did happen. And that has been the main reason he has been interacting with the crews of the Enterprise and of Voyager the whole time. (The Voyager connection could be brought in with some snide remark about what great fun they were to play with although they didn't always know it was him - "Why, Jean-Luc, at one point I even made them believe that if they went too fast they would turn into salamanders!") The trial, flinging them across space and introducing them to the Borg, giving Riker the powers of Q, the lesson he taught Picard about cause and effect in All Good Things, arranging for Voyager to get home early with additional large amounts of knowledge about the Borg, etc and so on - all of it was to prepare them to save his hide!

Anyway, the Borg are about to start using the cosmic dohicky to start accessing his powers, trying to learn how to use them, and when they do, things are going to get wonky, because they don't know how to control them, and without that ability, things will begin manifesting from more of less random parts of the Collective's databases and subconscious. But he has arranged it so that the Enterprise and her crew will be protected from any changes to reality, and he charges them with stopping the Borg from destroying the multiverse - and freeing him, too, of course.

4 hours long with a 6 hour director's cut, guest shots that feature characters not just from anywhere in the Star Trek universe but beyond, as well. (A movie where an R2 unit floating in debris at one point makes sense! ) A flight of fantasy and sci-fi cutting across something like Dante's Inferno mixed with the John Ritter movie Stay Tuned and what would happen if you turned an Improbability Drive on without the shields in place, and with a budget of 2 billion dollars. And in the end, Q rewards the crew with their fondest desires, but GOOD stuff, not all hamfisted like when Riker had the powers, and one of these rewards is that Data is finally made human - and looks nothing like Spiner, but like some other younger actor who wants to keep making Star Trek, like maybe Jim Parsons.

Urinalyisis, Mr. Spock?
Old January 8 2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Concept for the Movie We *Should* Have Had Instead of Nemesis

My idea: John Tesh returns as the holographic Klingon he had played back in "The Icarus Factor", who teams up with Data to belt out a few swing era hits together at the Riker/Troi wedding. As a result of this, Data hands in his resignation to Starfleet, having finally discovered the true purpose for which Dr Soong evidently built him: to be a jazz lounge singer.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

The Q/Borg thing, if done well, could actually make for a pretty good story, as long as it doesn't get too silly with the reality warping stuff. It would be nice to see a "reason" for the many many Q appearances.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I already stopped when you wrote "Vash shows up..."
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I was already this close to posting pretty much the same thing.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Vash shows up on the Enterprise, with a message from Q[...]
Pass.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 06:58 PM   #6
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Guys, I don't like Vash either, but who else makes sense as a mortal agent for Q? I guess we could have Riker deliver the message in a weird trance, as something Q left in him from the time he had the powers...
Old January 8 2014, 07:01 PM   #7
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

No, I've got it - he uses Worf, and that explains why he is there.
Old January 8 2014, 07:13 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I stopped with the first mention of Q.

Q should have disappeared permanately from Trek after Farpoint.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 08:12 PM   #9
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
My idea: John Tesh returns as the holographic Klingon he had played back in "The Icarus Factor", who teams up with Data to belt out a few swing era hits together at the Riker/Troi wedding. As a result of this, Data hands in his resignation to Starfleet, having finally discovered the true purpose for which Dr Soong evidently built him: to be a jazz lounge singer.
I like this. We can incorporate the first part with them performing together into the wedding, and have that be where Vash shows up to deliver the message - knowing Q (and I do, personally, we're best buds), she would do it when the preacher asks if anyone knows any reason yada yada.

And then, we either have him resign for the reason you stated at the end of the movie, or, we have Q turn him into a quarter-Betazoid/three-quarters human baby *inside* of Troi so he can live out a full organic life as Riker and Troi's kid. Because as everyone knows, Deanna just can't get enough of having her body invaded by aliens with strange powers, especially if they also leave babies with bizarre attributes while they're at it.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The Q/Borg thing, if done well, could actually make for a pretty good story, as long as it doesn't get too silly with the reality warping stuff. It would be nice to see a "reason" for the many many Q appearances.
Thank you! I don't know though - I'm torn about the "silly stuff". I can see your point, but I also think a general audience might enjoy it. And even if not, screw them, *I* would.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I stopped with the first mention of Q.

Q should have disappeared permanately from Trek after Farpoint.

You guys are just a whole lot of fun, you know that?

Everyone: If you want to add a description of a scene that could take place somewhere in that 4 hours of the Borg playing with Q's powers and messing with the Enterprise, please do. I have a scene in mind that I think would really go over well with folks who are both Bronies and also enjoy salsa dancing, but I'll save describing it until after I've seen some of yours.

Last edited by USS Triumphant; January 8 2014 at 08:23 PM.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I have a scene in mind that I think would really go over well with folks who are both Bronies and also enjoy salsa dancing,
So... "general audiences", then?
Old January 9 2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Shat Happens
Commander

>some cosmic macguffin

wow, a chance to see The Nexus again!
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 12:38 PM   #12
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
>some cosmic macguffin

wow, a chance to see The Nexus again!
No, no, no. The Nexus is a place, not a thing. This macguffin is a thing. So we get to see the Tox Uthat again.
Old January 9 2014, 12:45 PM   #13
USS Firefly
Commander

I want to see more lightsabers
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:09 PM   #14
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I think the musical score needs more cowbell.

Also, you lost me at "Vash shows up..."

I did go back and re-read it later, and couldn't tell if you were serious or just taking the piss. Either way, while I'm not sure I could suggest a story of my own that's better than Nemesis, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's not yours.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:15 PM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I think the musical score needs more cowbell.

Also, you lost me at "Vash shows up..."

I did go back and re-read it later, and couldn't tell if you were serious or just taking the piss. Either way, while I'm not sure I could suggest a story of my own that's better than Nemesis, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's not yours.
Definitely more cowbell. Also definitely, taking *several* pisses.
The only story element I mentioned that I think has actual potential is the one Mr Light liked - that Q had a selfish reason for his interactions with Starfleet personnel, after all.