Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2013, 01:00 AM   #31
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: Transformers G1: Favourite moments?

Season 3 gets flack because of several factors namely a) the terrible animation due to mostly how Hasbro sunk much of the animation budget for and b) it followed in the heels of the movie where Optimus Prime was perceived to have died at the hands of Megatron partially due to Hot Rod, which in turn created somewhat of backlash from the nascent fandom of the time. According to Hasbro's own internal data, a lot of the kids (now adults) saw Optimus Prime very much as a father figure and what happened in the movie no doubt had a negative effect on their perception of Hot Rod and later Rodimus. But you are right, Season 3 had some of the best scripts and employed notable writers such as Diane Duane, Len Wein and Marv Wolfman. Five Faces of Darkness with the origin of the Transformers, Only Human with the return of Cobra Commander, Ultimate Weapon with Rodimus standing up to Galvatron and exploration of First Aid's non-violence were all very good scripts that would have been remembered more fondly if not for the animation problems.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 01:56 AM   #32
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

The funny thing about Prime's death is, it's not necessarily Hot Rod who deserves as much flak (though it's quite understandable given how it was portrayed). Duke's intended death for G.I. Joe: The Movie was created earlier, conceptually, and Hasbro agreed on the condition that they could do the same to Optimus in the Transformers movie. It was released earlier and got a very negative response, so Duke's death was quickly nixed.

Did Diane Duane do any eps other than "Webworld"? That's the only one I can remember her credit for immediately, but I could be wrong. And it's a very strange episode, IMO. I sometimes think it's partially to blame for Galvatron being stereotyped as a nutcase.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 03:16 AM   #33
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Season 3 gets flack because of several factors namely a) the terrible animation due to mostly how Hasbro sunk much of the animation budget for and b) it followed in the heels of the movie where Optimus Prime was perceived to have died at the hands of Megatron partially due to Hot Rod, which in turn created somewhat of backlash from the nascent fandom of the time. According to Hasbro's own internal data, a lot of the kids (now adults) saw Optimus Prime very much as a father figure and what happened in the movie no doubt had a negative effect on their perception of Hot Rod and later Rodimus. But you are right, Season 3 had some of the best scripts and employed notable writers such as Diane Duane, Len Wein and Marv Wolfman. Five Faces of Darkness with the origin of the Transformers, Only Human with the return of Cobra Commander, Ultimate Weapon with Rodimus standing up to Galvatron and exploration of First Aid's non-violence were all very good scripts that would have been remembered more fondly if not for the animation problems.
I agree that the poorly-animated episodes in Season 3 tended to color fans' perceptions of the show, but even in those examples you mentioned, both "Only Human" and "The Ultimate Weapon" display some fine animation, especially the latter. AKOM was responsible for some really shoddy animation, but "Only Human" is probably their best work for that season. For sure season 3 lacked the consistency of animation found in the prior two seasons, although "The Core" and "The Autobot Run" from season two feature animation just as sub-par as "Carnage in C-Minor" from season three.

However, when you look again at season three I think everyone will find a great number of well animated episodes, such as "The Killing Jar", "Chaos", "Dweller In The Depths", "Fight or Flee", "Call of the Primitives"... even "Webworld" and "Nightmare Planet" feature some solid animation and striking visuals throughout.
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:28 AM   #34
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

TV's Frank wrote: View Post
In "Fight or Flee", I love the sequence when Sandstorm convinces his planet's people to rebel against the Decepticons and it turns into a massive conflict. The ending is also memorable in its ambiguity and Rodimus' questionable actions.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy ... All right, give me the bomb."

Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Stephen!
Captain

With episodes such as "Grimlock's New Brain", Optimus Prime must have been laughing from within the matrix.

"You got me killed. Well, haha, now you'll have take on the burden of leadership. And as an added bonus, you'll have to put up with Grimlock, who I had a hand in creating"
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:06 PM   #36
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

"Carnage in C-Minor" has some of the more hilarious examples of animation problems in the series, chiefly this one and this one. I don't think Voyager class Soundwave has much to fear from Legion class Blaster. My only specific gripe with the episode is that the aliens talk in musical English, but only Blaster and Soundwave seem able to understand them.

Old November 26 2013, 07:15 PM   #37
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Unicron, I'm going to be disappointed if you don't make some "in-character" references.

Come to think of it, is Starscream still around?
Old November 26 2013, 07:16 PM   #38
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Unicron wrote: View Post
"Carnage in C-Minor" has some of the more hilarious examples of animation problems in the series, chiefly this one and this one. I don't think Voyager class Soundwave has much to fear from Legion class Blaster. My only specific gripe with the episode is that the aliens talk in musical English, but only Blaster and Soundwave seem able to understand them.
Wow, I forgot about that 2nd example you posted, my goodness that is a major size difference! It's as if the animators and layout operators wanted to see if anyone at Sunbow was paying attention that day... and maybe they weren't?
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:29 PM   #39
Stephen!
Captain

"Thief in the Night" - if for no other reason, that it's amusing how "CarBombYa" managed to get past the censors
Old November 26 2013, 11:34 PM   #40
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

It's a pity that caused Casey Kasem to leave, though. While it's unlikely the name was ever meant to be more than a pun, he felt it was a stereotype and refused to come back for the third season.

TV's Frank wrote: View Post

Wow, I forgot about that 2nd example you posted, my goodness that is a major size difference! It's as if the animators and layout operators wanted to see if anyone at Sunbow was paying attention that day... and maybe they weren't?
It was a fairly common error, although the "Carnage" one was probably the most glaringly noticeable. One of the problems with the S3 animation was that the movie characters had two sets of character models, an earlier set closer to the toys (or at least their existing prototypes) and a final version that was used for the movie and intended for regular use in S3. Sometimes though the models would get switched between episodes, and Cyclonus is a noted case. He appears with his earlier toy-based design in "Starscream's Ghost" and a few others.

Broadside is a much stranger case, in that his "Carnage" appearance used the unbuilt prototype character model. Apparently he was supposed to be released this way in toy form, as a prototype figure existed in UK catalogs and he was drawn with this model on the 1986 battle art. But at some point his design changed to the official toy and character model that was used for his later appearances. Amusingly enough, his sole appearance in the American comic was edited into a generic Autobot in the British continuity because the Wreckers were elsewhere at the time. Loser...

Old November 28 2013, 05:24 AM   #41
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Boy! Talk about a tough thread! Transformers The Movie had too many awesome lines as did the series in general now that you mention it. One of my favorite S2 eps was the one where the game hunter is trying to capture Optimus Prime.

Prime (battling a robotic spider): "Don't you know it's dangerous to play with poison, Mrs. Black Widow?"
Astrotrain (after he and Blitzwing were freed): "Fool! Don't you know never to trust a Decepticon?"

Also, the "More Than Meets The Eye" opening arc was good as well

Megatron:"Any last words Prime?"
Optimus: "None you'd want to hear!"

God, those were the days. Transformers had some great dialogue writers and voice actors.
*nostalgia high*
Old November 28 2013, 05:32 AM   #42
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Unicron, I'm going to be disappointed if you don't make some "in-character" references.

we never see him again in the series but one of the characters makes a statement that implies that he was still alive ("I didn't know a ghost could scream like that"- or something to that effect)
Old November 28 2013, 06:03 AM   #43
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Umm....
Old November 28 2013, 01:31 PM   #44
Luminus
Fleet Captain

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post

we never see him again in the series but one of the characters makes a statement that implies that he was still alive ("I didn't know a ghost could scream like that"- or something to that effect)
First: Starscream's ghost appears again in the Beast Wars series. Second: he wasn't talking about Starscream the decepticon. He was talking about the poster.

On topic, Transformers: the movie has so many memorable moments. That's why it's so great. One of my favorite moments from the cartoon is this:

Hound: "Ummm, Cliffjumper, maybe we should talk about these feelings of inadequacy you have."

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:49 PM   #45
Stephen!
Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Favorite Megatron VS Starscream scene

Or this one @ 7:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cvNR...tailpage#t=436