Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 20 2013, 04:44 AM   #46
Darth Duck
Commodore

Re: Weather...

Guys, let's not jump all over Warped9. It's not his fault. I just worry that there are more people out there like him, victims of the Canadian, er, Harper Government's muzzling of scientists.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 03:46 PM   #47
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
There's no way six billion humans aren't having an effect on the climate. You think that would just be common sense?
Seven billion.
7.193 billion

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Yeah, all of us chugging down fossil fuel powered energy wastefully every day can't possible be affecting anything at all...
Old November 20 2013, 03:57 PM   #48
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Darth Duck wrote: View Post
Guys, let's not jump all over Warped9. It's not his fault. I just worry that there are more people out there like him, victims of the Canadian, er, Harper Government's muzzling of scientists.
Nonsense. People should take responsibility for spouting bullshit. Maybe if someone is honestly too dumb to know any better, I would cut them some slack, but Warped9 seems to have enough mental faculties at his disposal to think critically about this. He just chooses not to, because it's easier to fall back on conspiracy hoohah.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:12 AM   #49
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

It's easier to believe something insane and complain about it than actually try to do something useful.
Old November 21 2013, 12:36 AM   #50
Leviathan
Commander

The real cause of global warming? ME.

It's frickin freezing on this rock the last few millennia... been trying to warm it back up for ages. Geez, why so attached to the cold??
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:34 AM   #51
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Leviathan wrote: View Post
The real cause of global warming? ME.

It's frickin freezing on this rock the last few millennia... been trying to warm it back up for ages. Geez, why so attached to the cold??
So how is your brother Snow Miser doing these days?
Old November 24 2013, 07:49 PM   #52
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

this is slightly off-topic, but we are having a weather photo contest over at http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=230818 Join the fun! There are only 4 entries yet which are far too few for a decent poll. We're looking forward to seeing what the weather is like where you live =)

You can post anything that's related with your current local weather/climate/season. The only rule is that photos must be 150 x 150 pixels at maximum.
Old November 25 2013, 09:19 AM   #53
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

No doubt about the climate change. But there is no problem with it. The only problem is that people have a major problem with change. 10,000 years ago, the place I'm currently sitting at was covered by a glacier. Had our current society existed back then... oh boy, the panic! Rescue that glacier, otherwise humanity will be doomed! Judt accept it, stop panicking and move on.

Any countermeasures to man-made warming are likely to backfire due to overcompensation. The thought of being able to control it is nuts. The only thing we should do is to reduce the influence (negative and positive) as best as possible, and start adapting, just as we always have before we turned into inflexible pricks, err, bricks.

Last edited by JarodRussell; November 25 2013 at 09:31 AM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:27 PM   #54
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Every so often we hear someone say, "I don't think I've ever seen it so cold!" or so windy or so hot or so rainy or whatever. But when you see weather records (seen often enough on the Weather Channel) you see that it has indeed been that cold, that rainy, the windy or whatever before.

I think we tend to forget the weather of years past unless it was something truly unusual that affected us directly in some way. Particularly weather on a daily basis.

One thing I am thankful for is that I live in a temperate area. No matter how severe I've seen it get occasionally it's nothing compared to the grief visited upon those exposed to tornadoes and hurricanes and floods and the like. Or places in the world where scores of homes and lives are swept away in mudslidesor threatened by volcanoes. And it would have to be the mother of all tsunamis to reach where I live so far from the east coast. I cannot imagine the horror some people must have to go through because of weather.

Just a thought that occurs to me every so often.
We have seen massive storms in the last 10 years, ones that shatter records in both cost of damages (Sandy, Katrina, Haiyan) and its size and strength. We have seen Tornadoes that have destroyed whole communities in the last 5 years.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.s...higans_wa.html

That said, we have had temperate winters the last two years in Michigan. We've had two of the driest winters on record. 2012, which had no El Nino to blame it on, was the hottest year on record for this state. We lost nearly 230 million in produce because of the 85 degree days in March and November, two months we see usually see temperatures in the 40s and 50s.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...rry_08-15.html

We had a storm with 70 mph gusts the other day (400,000 people were without power across the state). We ARE seeing severe weather, at least in this state. The effect has been more cases of West Nile than any on record. Because we are having more weather that is to our south (our average temperature is the usual temperature for Indiana), about 500 miles up.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...s-in-michigan/

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.s...te_just_h.html

Last edited by HaventGotALife; November 26 2013 at 04:35 AM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote