RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 381
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old November 18 2013, 06:05 PM   #16
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: Is Watson the most advanced super computer in existence?

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The Hofstadter-Moebius loop is fiction, yo.
I gottcha. I'm not a computer expert - you are - so, the question.

A real computer doesn't become "paranoid." One of two things will happen in a computer with conflicting objectives: one of them will take precedence by design or accident, or the system will be stuck in an infinite loop, powerless to act. (The latter would probably lead to a system failure and require a reset.)
I ha - CTL - ALT - DEL.

I suppose then in an autonomous enviornment conflicting objectives would become a problem to program for with a lot of unknowns?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:09 PM   #17
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I think you missed a "not" in there, or else you have completely misunderstood. We do not have anything remotely like the probes in Alien Planet. There's a reason the story was set in the 22nd or 23rd centuries - it's science fiction.
Of course. The premise of the show is to build upon our current level of technology [AI] and project forward as a docu-fiction.

I was just wondering to what level as depicted on the show ours has reached the one's as seen on the show. And I was wondering generally if Watson is the most advanced super computer on the planet today and if it is even close to that level within 80 to 100 years of advancement.
Old November 18 2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Pavonis
Commodore

No. Watson is not the "most advanced" super computer on the planet. It's just a really good search engine, with good publicity.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

No. Watson is not the "most advanced" super computer on the planet. It's just a really good search engine, with good publicity.
Meh. I don't think you're giving, "him," enough credit. How many computers do you run accross in everyday life that can beat not 1 but 2 or 3 Jeporady champions using natural language interaction?
Old November 18 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Watson, not having an ego, doesn't need to have it stroked.
Old November 18 2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Pavonis
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Meh. I don't think you're giving, "him," enough credit. How many computers do you run accross in everyday life that can beat not 1 but 2 or 3 Jeporady champions using natural language interaction?
None. Why would I need or want to interact with one?
Old November 18 2013, 06:48 PM   #22
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

None. Why would I need or want to interact with one?
Well, in my case - Watson seems a lot more impressive than Siri is at answering questions.

Siri on tough questions, 'let me go to the web and see if I can find that....'
Old November 18 2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Watson answers questions provided in a very specific format that have known factual answers.

Siri has to deal with people asking all kinds of random crap. The garbage out is going to be high because the garbage in is high.
Old November 18 2013, 06:57 PM   #24
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Siri has to deal with people asking all kinds of random crap. The garbage out is going to be high because the garbage in is high.
That's true. I just tested your statement by asking Siri as series of straight forward questions e.g. 'What year was Enstein Born,' 'What is Enstein famous for,' and she correctly answered the questions - albiet used Wiki as a reference in repeating the correct answer.

Are you saying that Watson and Siri are equal in capabilities?

Last edited by DarthTom; November 18 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old November 18 2013, 07:01 PM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore

Watson only knows what's in its databases, and can search it quickly. Siri can take voice input and use it for a keyword search on the web. They're very different, but of the two, Siri is affordable and more useful for the everyday needs of a person. No one really needs a pocket Watson.
Old November 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #26
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Watson only knows what's in its databases, and can search it quickly. Siri can take voice input and use it for a keyword search on the web. They're very different, but of the two, Siri is affordable and more useful for the everyday needs of a person. No one really needs a pocket Watson.
That would be profoundly stupid if Watson wasn't programmed to search the internet as well as its own database to find answers to queries.

But yes I agree Watson [at least for now] isn't a viable economic choice for most people. I'm surprised that IBM hasn't tried to develop and market a competitor to Siri with the Watson interface.

Most of the android voice recognition systems don't hold a candle to Siri in my experience.
Old November 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

Siri is a pocket Watson. You don't think Siri is actually being run from your phone do you?
Old November 18 2013, 07:31 PM   #28
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Siri is a pocket Watson. You don't think Siri is actually being run from your phone do you?
Nope. In 3G or lower bandwith areas I get the, "I cannot answer any questions right now," response which obviously indicates that it isn't running locally. You'd think the software though wouldn't go out to the web for the time and date though - but it does.
Old November 18 2013, 07:32 PM   #29
Pavonis
Commodore

Well, yes, Siri is a pocket Watson. What I meant was that you don't need to have the entire web stored on a single device when you have Siri to search the web. As far as I know, Watson doesn't do web searches, it just has data stored in servers that it accesses. DarthTom seems to be under the impression that Watson is "superior" to Siri, though I can't fathom why.
Old November 18 2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Watson is constrained by the time limit of Jeopardy questions, so local storage is a must.

Siri can afford to be a bit slower.