Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 19 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
HELP! Wintaylor/Caine and windows 8.1 compatibility problems?

So I'm at my wits end with an assignment of mine, it's a cyber security and ethics assignment where I need to scan through a massive file image to find, well, possible dodginess. I've had numerous issues with it already (path ways being too long when transferring files from a zipped file onto my desktop) which has resulted in some loss of data to investigate.

So anyway, I've installed the Wintaylor/Caine suite of programs to investigate this image and I've struck another issue, I'm getting run time errors when ever I open one of the sub programs even when I've set it to look it files that I know are there.

So I'm just wondering, has anyone used these programs before, have they been used on a Windows 8.1 system and did you hit any problems?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: HELP! Wintaylor/Caine and windows 8.1 compatibility problems?

I'm a bit puzzled. Did you install both on your PC? To my knowledge they are supposed to be run from USB-stick (Wintaylor) or CD (Caine).

Do you get an general runtime error or one with a specific number? The number would help us pinpoint the source of the problem.

Assuming you really installed wintaylor on your harddrive instead of running it from USB, a very likely cause for the runtime error would be that the subroutines are trying to save something on the USB-stick and can not find it because it is not in the expected place (which would be the same drive as the rest of the programme), either because it's simply not plugged in or because it's a different drive
Old December 19 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Cheers and yes I do have it installed on a USB stick. This is what is coming up:

Have you used these programs then?

Old December 19 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Try putting the files into a much shorter location, e.g. C:\temp. The path you're showing is really long, and this program is written in VB6, which is going to have a hard time with long paths. I bet you it's truncating the path name and that's why it's saying "File not found."
Old December 20 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

a shorter path can never harm.

If the error persists, you might want to check your *.dll files (Runtime error 53 usually means the programme can not find a *.dll it needs). There might be a tiny prob with the dll paths in the registry. I would strongly advise not to edit the registry by hand. The risk of accidentially destroying something is too high. It'd be better to use a diagnostic software.
There is a clip on youtube about that particular topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYA3X0F2NRg

Sorry I can't be of more use
Old December 20 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Cheers to the both of you, the deadline was yesterday at 16:00GMT and asking for help here was a last ditch attempt at trying to atleast do something with this assignment beyond "this is what I tried to do, these are the errors that occurred numerous times!" and getting some tech ideas beyond my college group.

Anyway, long story short, I explained the situation to my lecturer and he said I should hand in what I have and it would be very interested to see what I wrote.

Old December 21 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Sounds like he has common sense and understands that sometimes problems can occur.
I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!