The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 2 2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Lance
Commodore

What are your thoughts on the movie titles?

Let's discuss this thing.

The Motion Picture. It's descriptive, it's functional. It isn't anything more than that, but it doesn't really need to be.

The Wrath of Khan. It's a little arch, and director Nicholas Meyer didn't like it being imposed on him. One might argue it's got a cache for fans but (prior to the dawn of geek culture) it might not mean anything to the general public who hadn't gorged themselves on TOS reruns. "Who's this Khan guy, and why does he want revenge?" kind of thing. The movie provides the answers, but the title itself probably means nothing unless you already know who Khan is.

The Search For Spock. Again, simple, does its job. The movie is an excuse to reverse Spock's death, and the title ably conveys that intention. As Shatner once joked, they were hardly going to call the movie 'The Search For Spock' and then have Kirk tell the audience at the end "Sorry folks, we didn't find him!"

The Voyage Home. A bit of an odd one this. Again it's basic and does the job of siphoning the plot down to three words (they're going home, duh). I'm not sure about the marketing strategy outside the States though. The title 'The Voyage Home' was emphasized on all the posters above identification of it being a Star Trek movie, but let's be honest... it is a Star Trek movie, right? I don't know that calling it 'The Voyage Home' does much to account for the movie's mass cross-market appeal. But then, I'm not a marketing guy...

The Final Frontier. A bit shit this one, isn't it? It doesn't do anything to describe the plot of the movie (what else to call it though, "Star Trek Finds God"?). But even worse: it's a little bland, a little trite, a little lazy, to just use the franchise's most famous catchphrase as a film title. That's like having a Batman movie simply titled 'The Dark Knight', or a Superman movie that can't come up with anything better than 'Man Of Steel'... oh wait...

The Undiscovered Country. A nice evocative title that works on various levels: it's a Shakespeare quote, so it relates to General Chang and his love for quoting the Bard. This also nicely dove-tails with TOS, which had a thing for using Shakespeare quotes as episode titles itself (so, as the last TOS movie, it feels... approrpriate). The 'undiscovered country' could also herald the pending elevation of TNG to the front row of the TNG movie franchise, which was pretty much accepted as a certianty at that point, but they were still unproven ground. Or I could just be starting to waffle on a bit.

Generations. It works. I'm no fan of TNG's tendency for one word titles, but this one conveys both that this is the first 'Next Generation' feature, and also that it crosses the 'generations' both literally and figuratively. So I like it.

First Contact. Again it's functional, it describes one of the tenements of the plot. Not sure about it in other ways though. I do kind of wish they'd come up with something else, they had already used 'First Contact' as the title of a television episode after all... I understand the producers intended to call it 'Resurrection', but if anything that's even worse.

Insurrection. Another one word title, this one I don't like. I know, I know, I'm beating the Pinata again with my stick, but it's a title which promises so much (Insurrection! Revolution!! Yeah!!!), but the movie delivers nothing. Picard's insurrection is a bit of a wet blanket.

Nemesis. The worst of the lot? It's a misuse of the word 'nemesis' too, which is meant to be a continual threat or opposing force. It isn't strictly just an alternative word for 'enemy', although that is the context in which it is used here. The Romulans are a 'nemesis', but that isn't strictly their function in this script. Maybe it should have been?

Star Trek. Well, I can't fault it. It's a good title. For relaunching the franchise you can't get better than to go back to brass tacks, and this does the job for sure. The fan in me does kind of wish for a subtltle though...

Star Trek Into Darkness. The lack of a colon (heavily hyped in the PR for the movie) is disturbing, but it's a good title that does evoke something of the themes of the movie: the darkness within, an enemy within the state. I didn't like it when I first heard it, but it's grown on me.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 10:17 AM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: What are your thoughts on the movie titles?

The Motion Picture: Pretentious

The Wrath of Khan: Cheesy

The Search for Spock: Spoiler

The Voyage Home: Makes it sound like a road trip

The Final Frontier: Sounds... final.

The Undiscovered Country: Very pretentious

Generations: Functional

First Contact: Descriptive

Insurrection: Name is better than the film

Nemesis: Sinister

Star Trek: Beginning again

Star Trek Into Darkness: *sinister music*
Old December 2 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Titles are hard. Subtitles are worse. It's easy to bash them. Can anyone suggest better ones that non-Trekkies would be attracted to?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 02:26 PM   #4
gottacook
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Motion Picture: Pretentious

[...]

The Undiscovered Country: Very pretentious
I can't agree that TUC is more pretentious than TMP. The former could never have inspired anything on the level of the New Yorker cartoon "Star Trek: The Ashtray."

I presume you'd also consider pretentious such episode titles as "All Our Yesterdays," "The Conscience of the King," "By Any Other Name," and "Spock's Brain."
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:53 PM   #5
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
Titles are hard. Subtitles are worse. It's easy to bash them. Can anyone suggest better ones that non-Trekkies would be attracted to?
This is a very good question to be asking. What title(s) could have been used that would draw in more.....I wouldn't say non-Trek fans.....but would draw in more people who would not normally go see a Trek film? For me, I would have stayed away from the one word titles (Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis) and given the title a little more flourish.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Lance wrote: View Post
The Final Frontier. A bit shit this one, isn't it? It doesn't do anything to describe the plot of the movie (what else to call it though, "Star Trek Finds God"?). But even worse: it's a little bland, a little trite, a little lazy, to just use the franchise's most famous catchphrase as a film title.
It's also the name of one of the novels, which can cause confusion in discussions if it's not made clear from the get-go whether it's the movie or the book being discussed (I'm referring to the Diane Carey novel, not the movie novelization).

The Undiscovered Country. A nice evocative title that works on various levels: it's a Shakespeare quote, so it relates to General Chang and his love for quoting the Bard. This also nicely dove-tails with TOS, which had a thing for using Shakespeare quotes as episode titles itself (so, as the last TOS movie, it feels... approrpriate). The 'undiscovered country' could also herald the pending elevation of TNG to the front row of the TNG movie franchise, which was pretty much accepted as a certianty at that point, but they were still unproven ground. Or I could just be starting to waffle on a bit.
In my experience, the general public isn't usually that much into Shakespeare. I've read a decent number of plays, and seen some of them performed live. But this title has me wondering, "Exactly which country did they discover?"

Star Trek Into Darkness. The lack of a colon (heavily hyped in the PR for the movie) is disturbing, but it's a good title that does evoke something of the themes of the movie: the darkness within, an enemy within the state. I didn't like it when I first heard it, but it's grown on me.
Where/what is the "darkness" they trekked into? And why would they use a title whose acronym can confuse people if, at first glance, they don't happen to notice the small-case letter "i" in it?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I personally think Star Trek Into Darkness is the best title of the bunch, because it's about the theme and tone of the film, and you don't need to know anything about the characters to grok it.
Old December 3 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
dub
Fleet Captain

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Considering this was a movie from the late 1970s and they weren't really thinking about a sequel, this fits. Alternate ideas:
Star Trek: Man's Dark Cloud
Star Trek: Return to the Creator
Star Trek: The New Race
Star Trek: Unity

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
To me, this title fits the best out of any Trek film. This whole movie felt like a well done action comic book brought to life. The title is larger than life, and I feel the movie delivered. I wouldn't change it. And I'm glad the studio changed it from "The Undiscovered Country," which is kind of a stretch to me. Some alternate title ideas:
Star Trek: The Genesis Effect
Star Trek: Genesis Rising
Star Trek: From Hell's Heart
Star Trek: The Best of Times...

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
I did not like this title at all. It gives too much away about getting Spock back. I don't think my ideas are any better though. But here you go anyway:
Star Trek: The One
Star Trek: Sacrifices and Miracles
Star Trek: In the Wrong Hands
Star Trek: The Fall of Genesis
Star Trek: Planet Forbidden

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
This one has grown on me over the years. Alternates:
Star Trek: The Answer
Star Trek: Out of Time
Star Trek: Time Warp
Star Trek: Colorful Metaphors

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
I agree with the person who said it sounds "final." But I understand where they were going with it. Alternates:
Star Trek: Heaven and Hell
Star Trek: One Man's Dream
Star Trek: The Face of God
Star Trek: The Ascent

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
I like it. Alternates:
Star Trek: The Iron Curtain
Star Trek: To the Brink
Star Trek: Genocide
Star Trek: The Edge of War

Star Trek: Generations
It's okay. I wish they kept going with the numbers, or just dropped them from earlier films in home video/DVD releases at some point. I'm sure that would have cause fans to go ballistic though. Anwyay, here are some alternates:
Star Trek: Immortality
Star Trek: Quest for Eternity
Star Trek: Predator of Time
Star Trek: Oh Shit!

Star Trek: First Contact
I loved this film and the title works for me. Alternates:
Star Trek: To Save the Future
Star Trek: The End of Humanity
Star Trek: Resistance is Futile
Star Trek: Drawing the Line

Star Trek: Insurrection
I didn't like this title because to me it's an awkward word for a title. How about:
Star Trek: Fountain of Youth
Star Trek: Never Die
Star Trek: The Hidden Truth
Star Trek: Revelations

Star Trek: Nemesis
This one is hard because I didn't care for the bad guy, nor the actor who portrayed him. I thought "Nemesis" was a bit strong. Alts:
Star Trek: From Now On (last line from the song"Blue Skies")
Star Trek: In the Mirror
Star Trek: Dark Side of the Moon

Star Trek
If any Trek film title is pretentious, it's this one. This film is apparently so much the heart of "Trek" that it doesn't even need a subtitle? Nope. Alternates:
Star Trek: The Road Not Taken
Star Trek: A New Beginning
Star Trek: The Ultimate Reset

Star Trek Into Darkness
Not a fan of the lack of a colon. I know, that's nitpicking. And I do get what they're trying to do.
Star Trek: Destiny
Star Trek: Wrath Reborn
Star Trek: Blood of Evil
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 12:30 AM   #9
2takesfrakes
Commodore

My thoughts on the movie titles can best be summed up in this fashion:
I love them! It means they are attached to more STAR TREK product, which I am all about. Keep the titles coming. Keep the movies coming, with them. I want it all ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Maurice
Vice Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
Considering this was a movie from the late 1970s and they weren't really thinking about a sequel, this fits. Alternate ideas:
See? And I don't think almost any of those are suitable/workable (no offense). As I said above, titles are hard.
Old December 5 2013, 11:54 PM   #11
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I think that Star Trek: The Needs of the Many is the obvious alternate title for The Wrath of Khan.
Old December 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
See? And I don't think almost any of those are suitable/workable (no offense). As I said above, titles are hard.
I think it's old Phase II title, The God Thing sounds good. it conveys the scope of V'ger's might.
Old December 6 2013, 12:14 AM   #13
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Anything post The Undiscovered Country is fairly terrible. I love 'The' titles as they gave the movies an old B-movie / serial feel.

The latter ones are trying to be edgy and cool but they just don't fit Star Trek, IMO.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Star Trek IV: The One with the Whales.

C'mon, everyone knows that's the real title. Nobody but hardcore Trekkies even remembers that it's called "The Voyage Home." Most people couldn't come up with that title if their lives depended on it.
Old December 6 2013, 12:52 AM   #15
2takesfrakes
Commodore

In STAR TREK 4, when Sulu approaches the helicopter pilot and starts taking an interest in his Huey Helicopter exploits ... it really does seem like Sulu's just hitting on the guy!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote