Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old November 17 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

In that video, I was to gonna suggest the possibility that the driver was one of those nervous drivers esecially at nighttime, when the driver went off the lane, into the breakdown lane when the 18-wheeler passed by. But the driver stayed there.

I'm not sure a cell phone user (except for the uber-moronic ones) or nervous drivers would do this. I'd go with DOI individual.
Old November 17 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

For one, The State of California itself says you shouldn't follow people suspected of drunk driving.

Pingfah is most likely dead on the money, and I would suspect that's the reason both calls were ended: If you were to get into an accident, or if the allegedly impaired driver were to get in one (and then claim they were worried you were following them), then it suddenly becomes a headache. What if it went to trial and the defense tried to argue you were acting as an agent of the police? What if you tried to sue the department because you were trying to follow an impaired driver and just "help out," and then ran into a tree? Or any number of other things that could have happened?

I'm not saying this is even remotely on the same level of severity, but this is the same reason George Zimmerman was told by the 911 dispatcher to remain in his vehicle. It's not your job to follow a driver you think is impaired and report their up-to-date movements to dispatch. And, truth be told, although you're encouraged to report drunk drivers, the reason is that so if there happens to be a unit in the near vicinity, they can be sent to that location, but otherwise, it's usually that a BOLO is sent out to any stationed units in the area, particularly speed trap units on the highways.
Old November 17 2013, 10:21 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

If I reported every suspected drunk driver in my area, I would never be able to put down my phone.
Old November 18 2013, 04:42 PM   #19
mari
Captain

We reported one back in June, on 95 South in Rhode Island (on our way home from the airport at 1am). Another driver had also reported, so I was only on the line with the state police very briefly. Several miles later, we saw the officer pull the drunk over (in a construction zone! double fines!) and at that point felt safe passing. (My husband was driving, I was the one calling.) I don't know that we'd have followed the person on city streets. I already know enough people injured and killed by drunk drivers, I don't need us to be collateral to another one.
Old November 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Ohio Interstate highways have yellow signs that say to call #677 to report drunk drivers. From http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/motorist.stm:

Remember to dial #677 to report aggressive and drunk drivers, drug activity or for roadside assistance
I've never had to do it, but if I saw something dangerous, I would.
Old November 18 2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Leviathan
Commander

This'd be so much easier if cannibalism wasn't frowned upon.
Old November 18 2013, 11:07 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Dafuq?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 20 2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Is that an autocorrect malfunction? Did you mean Cannabis? If so I would say driving under the influence of cannabis is no better.
Old November 21 2013, 02:02 AM   #24
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Is that an autocorrect malfunction?
I'm pretty sure it was a funny.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old November 21 2013, 02:44 AM   #25
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Is that an autocorrect malfunction? Did you mean Cannabis? If so I would say driving under the influence of cannabis is no better.
You're not wrong, but apparently it takes quite a lot of weed to impair you even as much as a few drinks would.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old November 21 2013, 01:21 PM   #26
Scout101
Admiral

Well, that shows that the 'limit' may need to be looked at. That or they've decided that they're going to intentionally arrest more people before they're doing anything dangerous. Should have had something that relates tenths of a gram to metrics actually used when smoking, though, to get a feel. Passing a bowl? Finishing one? Several? Just not sure how much they smoked.

Either way, the first couple tests, they were at 4-5 times the limit (7x for the daily user) and everyone was doing fine, instructor and cop would have let everyone go. If you can operate without any issues at 4-7x the limit, the limit is fucked up.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 22 2013, 05:16 AM   #27
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Is that really how police and dispatchers track down drunk drivers? If so, I don't see the point in reporting anyone. I guess it takes an actual collision or someone getting hurt before they take things seriously.
There isn't much of a point to doing it. Police Departments have better things to do than follow every lead on every person driving poorly, drunk or not.

As far as the signs that say "call 911" or something similar, that's more PR than an actual appeal to the masses. It's also a little self-defeating given how aggressively PDs nationwide are targeting people talking on their phones while in cars.
Old November 23 2013, 01:38 AM   #28
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I was on 95 or 93 south of Boston (At some point they are the same road) and there was a limo that went back and further through all the lanes, completely wasted, there are 4-5 lanes there and just was insane.

I know from experience never ever call the cops. It's why guns on legal in this country because they cops will never show up. They are too busy stealing drugs and getting paid off.

If I have an emergency I call the fire department but even my neighbor had to call 911 twice to get anyone to show up and they weren't doing a damn thing. It was only a truck on fire 10 feet from his house and next to a tree. He was outside watering down his roof so the house wouldn't go up.
Old November 23 2013, 03:14 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I did this once. I passed a guy to get into a turn-lane and looked over at his car and saw him take a big drink out of a beer bottle (I could clearly see the beer labeling on the bottle.) I made the turn and happened to come up on a policeman on the road shortly on the road I just got on. I flagged him down, and told him what I saw. Giving him description of the car and the driver and what I remembered from the plate. (I'd been behind the guy for a while and remembered part of it.)

The cop looked at me, told me I shouldn't have come to a stop on the road there where I had flagged him down and then drove off. He didn't go into pursuit of the drinking driver given the direction he turned on the road. Only a minute had passed at the very most and there was another signal shortly after that intersection so it's not like the guy would have gotten far.
Old November 23 2013, 04:02 PM   #30
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I know from experience never ever call the cops. It's why guns on legal in this country because they cops will never show up. They are too busy stealing drugs and getting paid off.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Closed Thread