IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 30 2013, 02:47 PM   #76
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Getting back to watching Dr. Who

Timewalker wrote: View Post
There's more Davros after the Fourth Doctor.
In fact, there's more Davros with The Fourth Doctor

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 07:11 PM   #77
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Sindatur wrote: View Post
That would be Destiny of the Daleks? It's been so long since I've seen those stories...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 07:55 PM   #78
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
That would be Destiny of the Daleks? It's been so long since I've seen those stories...
Yup

Genesis of and Destiny of for Four
Resurrection of for Five
Revelation of For Six
Remembrance of for Seven

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:40 PM   #79
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, I've finished David tennants run. The Water of Mars was a decent episode. I thought that the water monsters got maybe too much focus, but it didn't ruin the episode or anything. It was an interesting situation for the Doctor to be in. He really wanted to save these peopole, but he felt that he just couldn't. When he went a bit crazy and did it anyway, he seemed to get shown that somethings will just happen, regardless of what he does.

The End of Time was a very good story. The Master returns, and we finally learn about the drumming in his head. We also get to see some time lords, and find out that they've basically become corrupted by the war they were fighting, and that they essentially created The Master. The ending was a great send off for the 10th Doctor. We got to see a bunch of his friends and companions, and the final scene with him regenerating was great. "I don't want to go" was a great way to end it, and was a very appropriate thing for him to say. So, next will be the start of Matt Smith's run with The Eleventh Hour.

Just to end my talking about watching the 10th Doctor's run, I'll post some thoughts and then a list of favorites/least favorites. Overall, I did really enjoy the 10th Doctor. While he had some stories that I thought were just junk, overall I enjoyed watching his adventures. I don't think he quite beats the 9th Doctor/4th Doctor tie I have for favorite Doctor, but that doesn't take anything away from him. He was a good mix of funny and serious, and he was almost always interesting and entertaining. All of his companions had good things about them. I liked them all, but if I had to rank it I'd go Rose, Donna, and then Martha. Martha wasn't bad, but I thought that Rose and Donna werre more entertaining and interesting characters.

For the list below, it was very difficult to pick just five favorite episodes. I did like a lot of them. The Shakespeare Code and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead were very close to being on the list and there are a bunch of other episodes that I liked but don't make the list because not every good episode can be a favorite.

Favorite 10th Doctor Episodes (I can't pick just one, so here are a few, in no particular order): School Reunion, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Unicorn and The Wasp, The Doctor's Daughter

Least Favorite episodes: Love & Monsters, Human Nature/The Family of Blood

Favorite 10th Doctor Companion: Rose Tyler

Favorite Villain: The Daleks

Least Favorite Villains: The Abzorbaloff, The Family of Blood

Favorite One Shot characters: Jenny(The Doctor's Daughter), Jackson Lake (The Next Doctor)

Least Favorite One shot/Minor characters: Elton Pope (Love & Monsters), Martha Jones's Mom,

Favorite Moment: The confrontation with Devros, along with all of the characters coming together at the end of The stolen Earth/Journey's End to save the day and fly the TARDIS. A close second is The Doctor's final moment - "I don't want to go".

Favorite Series: Series 4, although all series had good and bad things, Series 4 had the least amount of stories I disliked (just two, Turn Left and The Fires of Pompeii).

So, next up will be the 11th Doctor. I'm definately excited. I know Steven Moffat takes over for RTD, but i'm not worried. For the 10th Doctor, Moffat wrote one of my favorite episodes, and a two parter that almost made the favorites list (but was held back a bit by the second part). To me he's told about 2 1/2 good stories with the 10th Doctor (the 1/2 being the good ideas in Blink) out of the three he wrote (not counting the excellent Time Crash special), so I don't hold the failure of Blink to be as good as it could have been aganst Moffat. It will be interesting to see what comes next.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:48 PM   #80
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Oh we all had high hopes for Moffat. For me I felt his run as producer churned out more average episodes than good episodes. The Eleventh Hour was good, but after that it took him 4 years of average-ness before he wrote what I feel is the best episode of Doctor Who ever, the 50th anniversary special.
Old December 2 2013, 04:14 AM   #81
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've watched the first 5 episodes of series 5. The Eleventh Hour was a good introduction to the 11th Doctor and his new companion. There were a few funny moments here and there, and his final talk with the aliens to get them to leave was awesome. Amy seems like an interesting companion. I am kind of wondering why the TARDIS blew up and had to fix itself at the end of the last episode/beginning of this one. I get the real life reason (an excuse to change sets) but it wasn't like the 10th's regeneration to the 11th Doctor was any more volatile than the 9th Doctor's regeneration into the 10th. Still, I can over look that. I liked how it was revealed that he came back the day before her wedding. Overall this is a good way to start the season.

Next up was The Beast Below. I enjoyed this episode. The weird head spinning people weren't explained very well, but it wasn't a huge deal. I thought the revelation about the space whale was interesting, as was the fact that even after being tortured it still wanted to carry the country. The Doctor's little speech about the options before Amy figured out what to do was pretty good, too.

The next episode was Victory of the Daleks. I liked the WWII setting, and the Daleks definitely needed something new to happen with them. I don't know if color coded Daleks was a great idea, I'd prefer a more metallic grey color, but its not a huge deal. I know they're implying that the cracks in space/time are what make Amy not already know Daleks, but while that plot point is interesting its also kind of a lame way to get a companion who has no knowledge of the Daleks. The fight scene with the space flying airplanes was pretty cool. Overall, this was another enjoyable episode.

Finally, there is The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone. This was an awesome two part story. The weeping angels are back, and this time they're used more to their full potential and we get to see The Doctor go against them. They were really creepy, and I hope we see them again. River was back for this episode, and she was pretty good. I really hope the person she killed doesn't turn out to be The Doctor. The gimmick of The Doctor always meeting her at different points is pretty interesting still. The only flaw in this story was the stupid "seduction" scene at the end. It was just goofy, and honestly pretty out of nowhere. Although, that said, for a guy who has been in love with at least one companion already, it seemed to me that The Doctor was trying to imply that he could never have feelings for a human, which is a lie, even if he doesn't have feelings for Amy. Still, it was just a brief stupid moment in a great story.

I like the 11th Doctor so far, although I don't think he'll beat the 9th, 4th and 10th Doctors. He's had some good goofy and serious moments, although he could probably stand to have a bit fewer goofy moments. I did like the scene in the two parter where River starts driving the TARDIS and The Doctor doesn't like her more smooth way of driving, complaining about the stabilizers being boring and preferring to hear the normal TARDIS noise, which is apparently caused by leaving the brakes on Amy's been a good companion so far, outside of the stupid seduction. I get what they're going with, its probably less about her wanting to screw The Doctor then it is about her being nervous before her weddingl, but it was still a stupid scene. Overall, Series 5 is off to a very good start.
Old December 2 2013, 06:09 AM   #82
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I don't know who said this, but its a fairly accurate and funny description of the new Doctors... "Eccleston was a tiger, Tennant was Tigger. Smith is an uncoordinated housecat who falls off a piece of furniture and pretends that he meant to do that"
Old December 2 2013, 09:29 AM   #83
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

It's interesting to see how much more you liked The Time of Angels two-parter compared to Blink, considering the usual reaction. I absolutely adore the Angels as monsters and it helps that they're used sparingly (looking at you, Daleks) and I think that two-parter's a bit underrated (while still the least of the Angel stories in my own mind as well).

I think there's more to Amy wanting to jump the Doctor's bones than just nerves about her wedding - she did just go through an incredibly traumatic and terrifying experience with him after all, and he's been her fantasy since childhood.

Glad you're liking the Moffat era so far. I love it myself, and Eleven.
Old December 2 2013, 10:31 AM   #84
The Haunting
Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
For me, the only interesting thing about Fires of Pompei is that a future companion and future Doctor is in the episode.
I have an added interest in that James Moran is the only Doctor Who writer I've ever met!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 10:03 PM   #85
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've watched a few more episodes. Vampires of Venice was ok, but not great. I really liked the part in the beginning when The Doctor showed up at Rory's bachelor party, it was hilarious. The rest of the episode though just felt like a by the numbers Doctor Who monster alien story. The aliens as humans thing just wasn't very interesting in this episode. It wasn't bad really, but this was a very average episode.

Amy's Choice is another episode I have mixed feelings about. I liked a few of the moments in the episode, but it had problems. The Dream Lord was annoying, and having him be the "dark part of the Doctor" was kind of stupid. I also thought that Rory was a bit too annoying in this episode, and that the future earth section was a bit too obviously not reality, although I didn't guess that both sections were dreams. Overall, I didn't hate this one, but I wasn't impressed.

The Hungry Earth was next. After the first five good episodes of this Series, it has seemed to hit a rough patch. This episode, the first part of a two part story, just felt kind of average. It kept my attention, but didn't have many memorable scenes. The Silurian is an interesting looking species, but so far they haven't done anything too out of the ordinary. Next up will be the second part of this story (Cold Blood) then Vincent and The Doctor, which will hopefully get Series 5 out of this rough patch.
Old December 2 2013, 11:24 PM   #86
diankra
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I've watched a few more episodes. Vampires of Venice was ok, but not great. I really liked the part in the beginning when The Doctor showed up at Rory's bachelor party, it was hilarious. The rest of the episode though just felt like a by the numbers Doctor Who monster alien story. The aliens as humans thing just wasn't very interesting in this episode. It wasn't bad really, but this was a very average episode.

Amy's Choice is another episode I have mixed feelings about. I liked a few of the moments in the episode, but it had problems. The Dream Lord was annoying, and having him be the "dark part of the Doctor" was kind of stupid. I also thought that Rory was a bit too annoying in this episode, and that the future earth section was a bit too obviously not reality, although I didn't guess that both sections were dreams. Overall, I didn't hate this one, but I wasn't impressed.

The Hungry Earth was next. After the first five good episodes of this Series, it has seemed to hit a rough patch. This episode, the first part of a two part story, just felt kind of average. It kept my attention, but didn't have many memorable scenes. The Silurian is an interesting looking species, but so far they haven't done anything too out of the ordinary. Next up will be the second part of this story (Cold Blood) then Vincent and The Doctor, which will hopefully get Series 5 out of this rough patch.
A problem with the Silurian twoparter was, apparently, that it came in so ovrrlong that it had to be cut down by removing almost all of a major subplot (future Rory and Amy being there). Whereas Victory of the Daleks was meant to be 75 mins but needed reshoots of unusable footage, and it couln't all be redone. So the tx version is short, and overuses the stuff that didn't need reshooting.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 06:48 AM   #87
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've gone through the rest of Series 5 and the Christmas special. Cold Blood, the second part of the story from The Hungry earth, was about the same as the first episode. Fairly unremarkable, except for Rory's "death". That scene was handled well, although I figured it would only be for a few episodes.

Vincent and The Doctor was an enjoyable episode. The guy playing Van Gogh did a good job, and the story was interesting. I liked seeing them show Van Gogh the future, it was a nice scene.

The Lodger was another enjoyable episode. The guest stars were interesting, and seeing The Doctor wander around in modern times without a companion was interesting.

The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang was a pretty good finale. It had some problems, mostly because I didn't think for a second that anyone was really in danger, they were obviously going to hit the reset button at the end. Still, it was an entertaining story, and had some cool moments.

A Christmas Carol was an outright amazing episode. I'm a sucker for a good Christmas Carol adaptation anyway, and this did it in a unique and interesting way. The guest stars were great, and it did the story in a way you could probably only do with Doctor Who. Not only is it the best Christmas special, I'd put it in my top 5 Doctor Who episodes, easily, and one of my favorite Christmas specials in general.

Overall, Series 5 was good. I liked him in the first few episodes, but the 11th Doctor has grown on me even more. He's still not quite as good as 4,9,and 10 in my opinion, but he's still a great character. He's had some really funny moments, and has pulled off some great serious moments, like when he's talking to young Amy at the end of The Big Bang. Amy is a great companion, and Rory isn't annoying really, and I kind of assumed he would be. I'm definately excited for Series 6.
Old December 4 2013, 03:14 AM   #88
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

^ Glad you liked it! Season 5 remains my favourite season despite its warts, mainly because that's when I began to truly enjoy the series. My family had been sitting down to watch Doctor Who since the reboot started but despite a really great episode now and then, I never really got into the show until Matt Smith stepped into the role and became my Doctor. I won't comment about season 6 or 7 yet other than to say I hope Eleven continues to grow on you.
Old December 4 2013, 03:29 AM   #89
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I've just finished the one about the Weeping Angels in Manhattan... that was excellent.

And it's the last of the episodes available on Netflix.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:36 AM   #90
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ Very sad; unfortunately the Season 7 Part 2 DVDs just came out a few months ago.

Glad you're still liking it! Vincent and the Doctor and A Christmas Carol are two of my favorites.