New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 25 2013, 09:10 PM   #31
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Getting back to watching Dr. Who

Ok, I have to post an update. First off, I got through The Lazarus experiment and 42. Neither of them were particularly impressive, but they weren't outright bad. They were just kind of average adventures that didn't leave much of an impression. The only think that left an impression was Martha's Mom, who is super annoying and who I just know is going to cause problems for The Doctor.

After those episodes, I went on to watch the single worst Doctor Who episode I've seen, and the worst episode of a good TV show that I've seen in awhile, Human Nature. From beginning to end, basically every second of this episode was pure torture. It did not have one redeeming feature. It was 45 minutes of my life that I want back. The premise was really stupid. Lets spend a whole episode having the Doctor think he's a human in an extremely boring part of time. Why does he do this? Because of stupid aliens whose threat wasn't even that clear, the only thing I noticed is that they can follow the TARDIS through time. Its hard to describe how painful this episode was. The Doctor spent the whole time not acting like The Doctor and not doing much of anything. I'm here to watch the Doctor have adventures through time and space, not to see him living in a house as a human doing basically nothing. To make it worse, it was only the first part of a two part story. I'm not going to lie, there was no way that I was sitting through another 40+ minutes of that. I have watched every episode in full until now, but I skimmed through The Family of Blood. I couldn't take it, and I don't feel bad about it.

After that was Blink, which had some good ideas but was ultimately a fairly tedious episode, not helped by not starring the title character. It wasn't outright bad like the last episode to not star the Doctor (Love & Monsters) but its cool bits didn't help it be anything but cool ideas wrapped in a boring package. It would have been awesome to see the Doctor or at least martha fighting the "weeping angels". As it is, its not a bad episode, but the good ideas can't overcome the lack of Doctor and the uninteresting characters it does focus on. Honestly, the lack of the Doctor wouldn't have been so bad if Sally and friends hadn't been so uninteresting and bland. It was just a missed opportunity, although (looking online) I seem to be one of the few people whop think its a mediocre episode.

Series 3 has been a rough series. There has been the most disappointing Dalek story I've seen, the worst Doctor Who story I've seen (and I'm finding it hard to believe there could be a worse one, just because the kind of bad Human Nature/The family of Blood is tends to anger me more than just stupid stories like The Idiots Lantern. There were also two generic adventures, The Lasarus Experiment and 42. The episode started off with a decent first episode and the surprisingly entertaining The Shakespeare Code and Gridlock Here's hoping the last three episodes (that are apparently one story) end series 3 on a high note. I'm hoping it doesn't involve the "Martha's mom getting fed bad things about The Doctor by a mysterious man" subplot, but I have a feeling that's where its going. I'm not losing faith in the Doctor who series or anything, this has just been a rough patch for me. Hopefully either series 3 will end well or at least Series 4 will not have so many bad/bland episodes.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:12 PM   #32
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
After those episodes, I went on to watch the single worst Doctor Who episode I've seen, and the worst episode of a good TV show that I've seen in awhile, Human Nature. From beginning to end, basically every second of this episode was pure torture. It did not have one redeeming feature.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:13 PM   #33
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Wow, your impression of series 3 is the exact opposite of what most people think.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:18 PM   #34
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I don't even... wut.

[Ten]What? What?![/Ten]
Old November 25 2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Tennant was wonderful in this.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:48 PM   #36
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
After those episodes, I went on to watch the single worst Doctor Who episode I've seen, and the worst episode of a good TV show that I've seen in awhile, Human Nature. From beginning to end, basically every second of this episode was pure torture. It did not have one redeeming feature.
^^THIS^^

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #37
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I guess people disagree with me about Human Nature Thats fine, I just couldn't stand it. I'm watching Doctor Who for The Doctor and his adventures, not to watch David Tennant play a generic period guy for about an hour with aliens kind of involved in the story. I'm not saying that Tennant didn't do a good job with what he had, its just that what he had sucked. Its like they took a script for a serious period piece and tried to modify it for Doctor Who, only without including the Doctor for about 80% of the story and choosing a fairly weak script to adapt to Doctor who. That's obviously not what happened, but that's what it felt like.
Old November 26 2013, 01:29 AM   #38
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Actually it was all about the Doctor because it sort of shows what he can never have. The Doctor will never be able to settle down, get married, have children and die a peaceful and normal death surrounded by his loved ones. John Smith is who the Doctor sort of wishes he could be but knows that it is impossible. By understanding that, you get a glimpse of who the Doctor really is. Deep down he wants to stop, but he knows that he never can because the universe needs him traveling around and saving the day. The Doctor sacrifices his normal life for the good of the universe and John Smith sacrifices his existence to bring back the Doctor because he was needed to save the people he cared about. It's the entire point of the episode.
Old November 26 2013, 01:36 AM   #39
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Actually it was all about the Doctor because it sort of shows what he can never have. The Doctor will never be able to settle down, get married, have children and die a peaceful and normal death surrounded by his loved ones. John Smith is who the Doctor sort of wishes he could be but knows that it is impossible. By understanding that, you get a glimpse of who the Doctor really is. Deep down he wants to stop, but he knows that he never can because the universe needs him traveling around and saving the day. The Doctor sacrifices his normal life for the good of the universe and John Smith sacrifices his existence to bring back the Doctor because he was needed to save the people he cared about. It's the entire point of the episode.
Eh, he wasn't able to appreciate the episodes that set up the Overall Arc/journey of Crichton in Farscape. He'll appreciate what he appreciates.

Hopefully, when he sees what Lazarus; 42; Human Nature/Family of Blood set up, he may be able to appreciate them in hindsight, if not, well, spelling it out won't help

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 06:05 AM   #40
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Eh, he wasn't able to appreciate the episodes that set up the Overall Arc/journey of Crichton in Farscape. He'll appreciate what he appreciates.
The Farscape part of my Farscape/Babylon 5 thread will follow me forever. I stand by that thread, though, just so you know. Farscape started becoming a giant cliche, and jumped the shark completely once it cloned Chrichton. Also, Chiana is still the most annoying character in Sci Fi history, with a possible tie going to Jool.

Tangent aside, I've finished episodes 11 and 12 (Utopia and The Sound of Drums). They're both very good. I guess you could say that Human Nature/The Family of Blood had a small role in the return of The master, but as cool as his return was they could have set up the watch in one episode, and with a better story than what those episodes gave us. Still, I'm done talking about those episodes. I've gone past them, and I won't have to deal with them again. The master's return was cool, and the set up was great. I actually ended up liking his Saxon story thing, because The master has some personality. I've only seen him before in the Doctor who movie, and he was a bit goofy and melodramatic in that. In this, he's more interesting and not too over the top (atleast so far, I haven't seen him spitting acid or getting snake eyes yet). Now its looking like a great finale for Series 3, hopefully leading into a great series 4. I just have Journey's End left to watch for Series 3.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that old age 10th Doctor looks like Old Bilbo at the end of Return of the King? The make up job makes them look similar to me.

Last edited by kirk55555; November 26 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old November 26 2013, 07:09 AM   #41
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

After that was Blink, which had some good ideas but was ultimately a fairly tedious episode, not helped by not starring the title character. It wasn't outright bad like the last episode to not star the Doctor (Love & Monsters) but its cool bits didn't help it be anything but cool ideas wrapped in a boring package. It would have been awesome to see the Doctor or at least martha fighting the "weeping angels". As it is, its not a bad episode, but the good ideas can't overcome the lack of Doctor and the uninteresting characters it does focus on. Honestly, the lack of the Doctor wouldn't have been so bad if Sally and friends hadn't been so uninteresting and bland. It was just a missed opportunity, although (looking online) I seem to be one of the few people whop think its a mediocre episode.
"Blink" is one of those stories that make you look at the real world in a whole new way. I'm glad I live in a city that's fairly new (only 100 years old), so we don't have a lot of gargoyles around on our civic buildings and cemeteries!

I found a fanfic that reimagines this story in a much better way. It uses Rose instead of Martha and follows the story of how the Doctor and Rose cope with having to live in 1969 London with no money, they have to get jobs (well, Rose does), and what a challenge it is to blend in with "normal" people. It's quite a good story, and brings back some old favorite Who characters from the 1960s as well.

The master's return was cool, and the set up was great. I actually ended up liking his Saxon story thing, because The master has some personality. I've only seen him before in the Doctor who movie, and he was a bit goofy and melodramatic in that. In this, he's more interesting and not too over the top (atleast so far, I haven't seen him spitting acid or getting snake eyes yet).
I absolutely cannot stand the modern portrayals of the Master. When you get to The Keeper of Traken-Logopolis-Castrovalva trilogy in your Tom Baker-watching (and Peter Davison), you'll see why Anthony Ainley was so good in the role - he's equally adept at playing good guys and evil nasty ones. He's the last decent Master there ever was - suave, charming, and thoroughly, delightfully evil. As far as I'm concerned, the movie version of the Master utterly ruined the character.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:32 AM   #42
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The only Masters I've seen was the movie version and the one is Series 3. It will be interesting when I get to him in Classic Doctor Who.

With modern who, I finished The Last of the Timelords. It had a few problems (the weird CGI old Doctor was ridiculous) but I liked the confrontation between The Doctor and The Master. I didn't know that timelords could choose to not regenerate. I mean, i doubt The Master is permanently dead, but it was still an interesting scene. One of the things I forgot to mention about these last three episodes is that it was cool to see some flashbacks to Gallifrey when the Doctor was talking about The Master's back story. I'm hoping we get a good replacement for Martha. She was an ok companion. Not as good as Rose, but decent. Overall it was a good three part series finale. Next up is Voyage of the Damned, then Series 4.

Last edited by kirk55555; November 26 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old November 26 2013, 07:38 AM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

This. People are a little unfair to kirk55555. He likes the action-adventure/escapist side of science-fiction, and tends to reject anything that deviates too much from that mold, and he's always been very clear about that. Yes, it means that he actively hates what fans consider to be the most innovative and groundbreaking episodes of the medium, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old November 26 2013, 07:50 AM   #44
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
This. People are a little unfair to kirk55555. He likes the action-adventure/escapist side of science-fiction, and tends to reject anything that deviates too much from that mold, and he's always been very clear about that. Yes, it means that he actively hates what fans consider to be the most innovative and groundbreaking episodes of the medium, but there's nothing wrong with that.
That's only fair, different people have different tastes. I didn't like Human Nature either, and coincidentally I stopped watching Farscape in the episode where Chrichton was cloned too. As for Blink, up till 3 days ago I thought it was the best episode of Doctor Who. Now? Some new epsiode hsa pushed it down to second best.
Old November 27 2013, 02:17 AM   #45
Australis
Writer

I concur, though if you didn't see what the Doctor did to the Family, that was a pretty amazing bit, and the final scene at the memorial.

But, as a wise man once said, whatever floats your goat.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote