Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Who is Your Least Favorite Flag Officer?
Commodore Jose Mendez ("The Menagerie") 0 0%
Commodore Stone ("Court Martial") 2 6.25%
Commodore Matt Decker ("The Doomsday Machine") 3 9.38%
Commodore Robert Wesley ("The Ultimate Computer") 3 9.38%
Admiral Heihachiro Nogura ("The Motion Picture") 1 3.13%
Admiral James T. Kirk ("The Motion Picture" - "The Voyage Home") 2 6.25%
Admiral Harry Morrow ("The Search for Spock") 5 15.63%
Admiral Lance Cartwright ("The Voyage Home," "The Undiscovered Country") 6 18.75%
Admiral Mark Jameson ("Too Short a Season") 5 15.63%
Admiral Andrea Brand ("The First Duty") 0 0%
Admiral Alynna Nechayev (TNG/DS9) 6 18.75%
Admiral Chekote ("The Circle," "Gambit") 0 0%
Admiral Erik Pressman ("The Pegasus") 9 28.13%
Admiral Toddman ("The Die is Cast") 0 0%
Admiral James Leyton ("Homefront," "Paradise Lost") 2 6.25%
Admiral Jeremiah Hayes (TNG/VOY) 0 0%
Admiral Matthew Dougherty ("Insurrection") 12 37.50%
Admiral Kathryn Janeway ("Nemesis") 6 18.75%
Admiral Christopher Pike (nuTrek) 2 6.25%
Admiral Alexander Marcus ("Star Trek Into Darkness") 10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Sran
Commodore

Least Favorite Flag Officer

Per R. Star's request, here's the "Least Favorite Flag Officer" thread. The focus of this thread/poll will be the various flag officers we've seen throughout Star Trek. Vote for as many options as you want, provided the officer is someone you dislike.

--Sran
Old November 16 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Least Favorite Flag Officer

The only one I really disliked was the one from Ensign Ro. Admiral Kennelly.

I see Admiral Kennelly is missing.

Last edited by BillJ; November 17 2013 at 12:58 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I thought Admiral Nogura was only mentioned very briefly in passing in TMP, but didn't make an actual appearance.
Old November 16 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Sran
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I thought Admiral Nogura was only mentioned very briefly in passing in TMP, but didn't make an actual appearance.
Correct. But he's mentioned enough in TMP that he manages to have a presence in the film despite never being on screen.

--Sran
Old November 16 2013, 11:33 PM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think you're right.

Also: Commodore Stocker (who figured prominently in "The Deadly Years") is not included in the poll. Mendez is missing as well.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I went for Kirk, Jameson and Dougherty.

I'm not he hugest Kirk fan, but he was insufferable as an Admiral who spent more time trying to relive his glory days commanding a ship than focusing on commanding Starfleet Operations--I hope he had an amazing deputy chief who picked up all his slack.

Jameson violates the Prime Directive to begin with, and then driven by vanity and ego sets about trying to kill himself with weird and wacky drugs to cover up the mess he made in the first place.

Dougherty just came across as petty (when Picard called him on the mission) and pretty incompetent (he didn't seem to read anything on the Son'a and after working with Ru'afo for a while totally missed that he wasn't going to be talked out of their plan).

Now if there is a poll for Best Flag Officer then Nechayev would definitely get my vote.
Old November 17 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Poinsettia
Commodore

Nechayev was an itch with a capital B in front.

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Sran
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Mendez is missing as well.
No, he's not. He's the first option in the poll.

--Sran
Old November 17 2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Sran
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'm not he hugest Kirk fan, but he was insufferable as an Admiral who spent more time trying to relive his glory days commanding a ship than focusing on commanding Starfleet Operations--I hope he had an amazing deputy chief who picked up all his slack.
To be fair, Kirk was only Chief of Starfleet Operations in TMP. The rest of the films, he was Commandant of Starfleet Academy. I didn't mind his commanding the Enterprise in TWOK, but I didn't agree with his taking the ship away from Decker at TMP's outset. Decker's detractors like to point to his reluctance to enter the cloud as a reason why he shouldn't have led the mission, but there's no way to know that's what he'd have done had he been in Kirk's place and had the weight of the mission on his shoulders.

I actually think Kirk's decision to throw away his career to save Spock would have come across much more powerfully had he been fully committed to the admiralty rather than cruising around with the Enterprise as his flagship. As everyone knew he wasn't happy in a desk job, his eventual demotion to captain became a reward rather than a punishment. There were extenuating circumstances, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that his time as an admiral was forgettable.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Now if there is a poll for Best Flag Officer then Nechayev would definitely get my vote.
Glad to see there's another Nachayev fan around here besides me. I didn't agree with her initial criticism of Picard, but I liked her handling of the Cardassian situation in "Chain of Command." Jellico was the right man for that mission, no matter what Riker and others might think.

Nechayev was also responsible for bringing Mackenzie Calhoun back to Starfleet for the New Frontier series, which earns her a great deal of street credit in my book.

--Sran
Old November 17 2013, 01:03 AM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Sran wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Mendez is missing as well.
No, he's not. He's the first option in the poll.

--Sran
Oops, you're right. Don't know why I missed it.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 01:23 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
Glad to see there's another Nachayev fan around here besides me. I didn't agree with her initial criticism of Picard, but I liked her handling of the Cardassian situation in "Chain of Command." Jellico was the right man for that mission, no matter what Riker and others might think.

Nechayev was also responsible for bringing Mackenzie Calhoun back to Starfleet for the New Frontier series, which earns her a great deal of street credit in my book.

--Sran
I voted for Necheyev. Not because she's corrupt or ineffective(quite the opposite) but simply because she's a complete.... well itchy with a B.

I'd also probably vote for her in a most effective admiral poll too. They did seem to tone her tone in the few novels I've read that feature her.
Old November 17 2013, 03:14 AM   #12
Use of Time
Commodore

I put Nechayev as well. I mean at least with the others they had an agenda whether it be sinister or selfish or whatever. With Nechayev I just sat there thinking, "what is her problem?" She was an asshole from the get go and it didn't really make any sense.
Old November 17 2013, 03:56 AM   #13
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Admiral Marcus is a clear winner for me, but admittedly it's on account of his crossing the line from Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay-style nuttiness to outright Eeeevil.

My second choice would have been Commodore Stocker, because his mere existence is an affront to Starfleet's honor. A flag officer with zero experience on a starship? Organians preserve us.

Nechayev was always a bit of a prig but always had clear "party line" policy justifications for what she was doing, and was sometimes enough in the right to give Picard convincing reasons to doubt his own judgment. (As in "why the effing hell didn't you destroy the Borg when you had a chance?!" Perfectly understandable, in her position I would be asking that question myself.)

Admiral Pressman likewise had clearly justifiable (albeit at odds with the TNG Federation's hyper-pacifism) reasons for what he was doing.
Old November 17 2013, 06:05 AM   #14
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

My top three were; Erik Pressman, because he was heartless and developed weapons he wasn't supposed to; Matthew Dougherty, for being manipulative and clueless; and Alexander Marcus, for being a warmonger.

I think Janeway should be an Admiral after all she went through and has knowledge of.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
Admiral Marcus is a clear winner for me, but admittedly it's on account of his crossing the line from Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay-style nuttiness to outright Eeeevil.
I second this.