Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 23 2013, 11:02 PM   #76
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker
Re: PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

I got my XBox One from Amazon, and haven't had any issues. It has a few quirks that make not be obvious at first (Smartglass for XBox One has its own app, not the same app as the XBox 360 version; a little slow when first loading some apps and games). I'm surprised at how quiet the system is overall.

My main problem are: 1. the HDMI cables come loose easily and 2. It doesn't play as well with the TiVo HD. I've seen talk online that there don't seem to be any problems with later TiVos (Premieres and Roamios).

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 10:58 AM   #77
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I got my PS4 from Amazon this week. Booted up just fine.

The only thing bad I have to say is that the delivery service left it on my door where it just sat there out in the open for like six hours. Glad it didn't get stolen.

I've bought every PlayStation and Xbox, but I think I'm done with Xbox.
Maybe use Amazon Locker next time? Or sign up for UPS My Choice, I'm pretty sure they have an option for letting you pick i up at a UPS Store or something.

FedEx guy is all about getting a signature and leaving a notice if I don't get to the door. UPS will dump just about anything on my doorstep. UPS delivered both a PS4 and Xbox One to me and didn't so much as knock. It's OK though, got a good angle on the street from my home office window... so the truck chasers were out of luck on ganking my consoles!

Anyway.. impressions.. impressions. TV features are useful to me. Changing channels with my voice while my paws are getting greased up by some fast food? Excellent! Voice comands in general... a little janky. On the Call of Duty comparison... the XBO's performance is a joke compared to PS4. Ryse looks glorious though, and on hard difficulty it's not like it's a horrible game. For the shit it takes in reviewville, I don't think it's that bad. I kind of felt the same way about Knack which I never would have touched if I didn't win it from Taco Bell.

Dead Rising 3 is a fucking riot. I loved the first one, didn't get into the second one at all though I keep meaning to... Probably the best launch game for either system for me. Though I do love me some Resogun. Keep in mind I loved the original Dead Rising enough to get 1000G in it. Seems like there are people unlike me out there in the world doing reviews that don't seem to be able to appreciate the greatness of this game.

Forza... well.. the trigger feedback is kind of cool. The graphics are nice but I'm not completely floored. I'm not much of a sim racer kind of guy, but I haven't gotten this type of game since the original Gran Tursimo so... what the heck! In retrospect I probably should have snagged a copy of Need for Speed Rivals.

Let's see... other hardware stuff... Both the controllers I got are a little crusty on the left stick. My Day One Edition is worse than my extra... it's bugging me enough to where I am going to contact support and see about getting it replaced. Controller in general, not bad.. but it's downright baffling that they managed to sink a supposed $100 million into R&D on this thing. It's like the Xbox 360 controller.. with nicer triggers... and... that's about it. D-pad is probably a bit better, but still kind of weird. I'm leaning towards the PS4 controller here... and I thought the first 3 iterations of the DualShock should be considered war crimes. Ok, maybe not the first one, it was an OK design considering they were grafting analog sticks on an existing controller... but DS2 and DS3? Fuck you Sony. But DS4 <3, real nice guys!

Kinect voice commands... inconsistent.. and when I try a command that doesn't exist (or just make one up for comedic value) it often imagines a valid command to take its place. Kind of annoying. Right now it's straddling the border of usefulness. If they can get it to be a little more consistent it will be really cool.

The game cases... are... atrocious. The plastic is too thin. I'm sure it's an eco-conscious kind of deal.. but they took it too far. They also put the disc on the left side for some reason. I really can't figure out why they would bother to do it that way. And to make matters worse, the cases are the kind that put your discs into a deathgrip where you think you're going to snap it any time you are trying to take it out. And since it's on the left side, if you're not careful you can easily damage the front of the case's plastic and/or the insert. PS4 has the same simple release button that PS3 has. Now Xbox 360 cases required a little bit of effort to get your game out.. maybe a little bend in the disc. But nothing like this. I have no idea what the fuck happened here, but whoever signed off on this garbage should go play Russian Roulette with whoever the fuck was designing the DualShock 2 and said "You know what, let's keep the same shitty layout and the improvement that we'll add is pressure sensitive buttons... yeah that should do the trick, good work guys we can all go home early!"

New Xbox is also huge. It's in the same category as the original Xbox, and the early revisions of the PS3. I'm not in love with the "Ode to Rhombus" design of the PS4, makes it a bitch to fiddle with the back panel connections for one, but at least it's modestly sized.

As for user interfaces in general... what can I say... many years ago tech like this would be designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Now they're designed by MBAs for people who never owned a desktop computer in their life, but like to mash the Facebook app on their smartphone. Microsoft has gone "full retard" in this direction and as such I can't give the Oscar. The Oscar goes to Tom Hanks... err.. uhhh PS4... not retarded.

I can confidently endorse the PS4. If you're into Halo and Gears, sure you're probably going to need an Xbox, if you dig Mario and Zelda you're going to need a Wii U. But if you want just one box and you dig video games in general? Gotta say PS4. Well done Sony, it's a hell of a turnaround from this unsightly monstrosity from 2006, sitting on my desk with a stupid and completely obsolete Spiderman font on top.

It will be interesting to see how they evolve over the years. After all Sony didn't just make up ground in one fell swoop with PS4... they made PS3 a lot less shitty over time. Now they're clearly in the pole position and it's Microsoft's turn to play catch-up.
Old November 24 2013, 12:50 PM   #78
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Got my PS4 on Thursday and am having an absolute BLAST playing AC4, which surprises me since I really, really disliked 3, and lost interest in the series after AC2. If anyone would like to add me, please just let me know you're a TrekBBSer

PSN Name: Korghano
Old November 24 2013, 09:31 PM   #79
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Hey Yoda, just want to say, thanks for giving us a first-hand account on both consoles. It's really neat to hear the comparisons and impressions for each.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 04:20 PM   #80
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
As for user interfaces in general... what can I say... many years ago tech like this would be designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Now they're designed by MBAs for people who never owned a desktop computer in their life, but like to mash the Facebook app on their smartphone.
I think you've just summed up the entire Metro interface. I can see how having a common interface across all Microsoft platforms would make sense to someone in management that just about understands how to use Outlook, but having a unified design across devices which utilise different types of input leads to a bit of a mess. At least on Windows 8 you can largely ignore Metro and use the old desktop interface, but on Xbox One the only alternative is the voice commands, and they appear to be spotty at best.
Old November 25 2013, 07:21 PM   #81
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I picked up my PlayStation 4 from Walmart the other night after having a chuckle at the guy who asked the woman in electronics if they had any. When she pulled one out, I was like, "Holy shit! I'll take one too!" So, good thing I swung by electronics, because I got the last one. Picked up AC IV and have been playing it.

I really disliked the DualShock 3 controller because it felt cheap and was too light for my gigantic monster hands, which is why I preferred the 360 controller, but I really REALLY like what they did with the DualShock 4. A very comfortable controller that fits in my hands. My only complaint with the PS4 is that you have to have the system connected to the internet to view any and all trophies.
Old November 26 2013, 07:28 AM   #82
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Is there no offline mode for trophies (the PS3 has both an online and an offline mode)?
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:04 PM   #83
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

^There's no option for an offline mode. My girlfriend's profile was never connected to the internet and she can't view trophies, either.
Old November 26 2013, 07:37 PM   #84
BigFoot
Admiral

^ That sucks.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:42 PM   #85
lurok
Commodore

Having been PS2-->Xbox-->360 (and very happy), from everything read and seen, I think it will be PS4 next. Thanks for all the reviews, impressions etc in this thread.
Old November 27 2013, 07:05 PM   #86
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

swear online? That's a banning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...profanity.html

"We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users. Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live," the company said.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 07:42 PM   #87
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

The Xbox has lots of microtransactions...
Unlocking the most expensive single car in Forza is about $50 real money?!?

In T3's review of the game, we noted that Turn 10 has placed microtransactions in the game. Instead of unlocking cars by levelling up, players have to buy them using in-game credits and tokens. However, gaming website Gamereactor has found out that players can drop up to £32.50 on just one car.

Players are able to buy token packs in at the following prices:

- 100 for £0.79
- 575 is £3.99
- 1250 for £7.99,
- 2700 for £15.99
- 8000 for £39.99
- 20,000 is £64.99

Naturally, the more players are prepared to fork over initially, the more tokens they'll get for their cash. But Gamereactor has reported that some of the cars in the game are stonkingly expensive. A McLaren P1, for example, costs as much as 2,334 tokens - which essentially is the same as handing over around £13.

The most expensive car in the game, the Lotus E21, costs an eye-watering £32.50. For someone who has just bought a new console for £429.99 and possibly a new game too for £45.99, the idea of handing over £32.50 to unlock just one car might seem more than a little outrageous.
http://www.t3.com/news/forza-5-micro...at-pound-32-50

Fuck that shit...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 08:06 PM   #88
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Yeah.. milk those stupid gamers as much as you can!

If Sony is out for blood all they need to say very publicly is that their games won't have such microtransactions or that their games have a very sane level of it.

It's like MS is actively trying to sabotage their own product. Hopefully they'll come to their senses in time or the customer will decide for them.. again.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #89
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I swear, I hate this microtransactions trend. I remember when the idea was floated for supporting things like online comics. I liked that idea: monetizing free content so you can throw a few cents at someone whose work you like.

But this? "I already bought a game, now I want to spend even more money within it!" Fuck that noise.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 09:00 PM   #90
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Sadly, I think microtransactions are only going to become more prevalent in the future.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote