Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 21 2013, 09:14 PM   #61
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Good point. Nevertheless, it sucks for those who ended up getting a defective one. Hopefully Sony can quickly address the issue for those that were hit with it.
Absolutely, it would suck to be one of those whose console broke down shortly after buying it. But a certain percentage of hardware failure is inevitable and I understand that, what matters most is that Sony have proper customer care systems in place that get new consoles to those affected quickly. That isn't the case according to some accounts, I've read stories of people being on hold with Sony tech support for four hours and then having the call dropped on them. That sort of thing shouldn't happen, and I'm far more worried about that than I am about a certain number of the consoles failing.

Yep, totally agreed. From what I've read, customers who've tried getting support have been getting the cold shoulder, which does raise concerns overall. This is a new console launch. Why aren't they more actively ready to field calls regarding possible problems for a major milestone product? If I were Sony, I'd be trying my hardest and doing my best to make sure those customers aren't left hanging. $400 isn't pocket change; it's an investment. An investment that people will remember for a long time. At this point, it doesn't matter the percentage of people affected, but rather it that it does matter for those affected to be getting the help they need, as this is the stuff where reputation is either gained or lost from. A little customer care goes a long way to building goodwill. Especially when people can so easily voice their dissatisfaction online.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 09:15 PM   #62
Aragorn
Admiral

Yeah, exactly. I've actually come across people I know on other forums with the problem, including a friend of a former MS fanboy who decided to go with Sony this time around, only to get a defective PS4. Not exactly a great first impression for him, and it's not like anyone would make that up to that extent.
I know someone who went PS4 because he went through like six Xbox 360 RROD. His PS4 is fine, but even if it wasn't, I don't think it would trump the bad taste in his mouth of six RROD.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 11:10 PM   #63
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

At this point, it doesn't matter the percentage of people affected,
And that's where you're wrong.. it is all about percentages (at least from the business side).

How many percent are affected (.4 percent is the current number, may rise or fall but it's too soon to tell)?

How much does a gigantic customer service cost that will have your complaint processed within a few minutes during launch time vs. a normal customer service that will be overwhelmed initially but once the launch period is over will resume with normal levels of work?

Is the bigger cost of increasing customer service worth it for the .4 percent failure rate and the added negative press?

A company will make these calculations and only if the bottom line is positive will they decide on the best measure and sometimes they will knowingly take some bad press initially because they've calculated that it would be more expensive to go full on in the long run.

Now that sucks for the customer who's unlucky to receive one of those .4 percent consoles but a company is in it for the money and no matter how good they present themselves and hammer home the picture that they care about the gamers they will always care more about the money gamers have.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 01:40 AM   #64
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
And that's where you're wrong.. it is all about percentages (at least from the business side).

How many percent are affected (.4 percent is the current number, may rise or fall but it's too soon to tell)?

How much does a gigantic customer service cost that will have your complaint processed within a few minutes during launch time vs. a normal customer service that will be overwhelmed initially but once the launch period is over will resume with normal levels of work?

Is the bigger cost of increasing customer service worth it for the .4 percent failure rate and the added negative press?

A company will make these calculations and only if the bottom line is positive will they decide on the best measure and sometimes they will knowingly take some bad press initially because they've calculated that it would be more expensive to go full on in the long run.

Now that sucks for the customer who's unlucky to receive one of those .4 percent consoles but a company is in it for the money and no matter how good they present themselves and hammer home the picture that they care about the gamers they will always care more about the money gamers have.

You misunderstood what I meant. I meant by saying that, that it doesn't matter if it's a small problem or a big one, just that Sony does need to be attentive to it and fix it for those who are affected instead of giving them the cold shoulder. In the grand scheme of things, it is something that Sony needs to deal with because it is a not a small problem, and neither a big problem, but nevertheless, a problem that needs sorting out. And I'm not just saying it for this problem, but any issues that may arise going forward. They should be more tactful in their support.
Old November 22 2013, 02:08 AM   #65
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Wow!! After selling 1 million consoles in a single territory in 24 hours, GameStop reports that they alone have 2.3 million more customers waiting to get PS4s. T

It'll be interesting to see how Xbox One does tonight. It won't be as good as the PS4, but it should do better than the 360 did. IIRC, it tok an entire month for the Wii to sell 600,000 units in 2005. The PS4 nearly doubled that in24 hours. I think we can put the notion that console gaming is dead or dying to rest!!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-for-ps4-stock
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:53 AM   #66
Steven
Admiral

I gotta say, waiting in line is one thing. But doing it here in Canada in November... that takes a certain amount of dedication. It's currently -26 C with the wind chill (that's about -14 F apparently) and I saw 20 or 30 people lined up outside Best Buy with just over an hour or so to go.

Though, they're probably taking shifts in nice warm cars. And there's a Timmy's near by too. Must be getting a lot of business there tonight.
Old November 22 2013, 10:06 PM   #67
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Console gaming was never dead or dying. Niche console gaming, on the other hand, probably is. Niche appeal games will probably all go to handhelds just because the cost of development is so high.

It will be a sad day when Persona 5 is announced as a handheld exclusive.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 10:10 PM   #68
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Nonsense. Look at all the indie games that get on to PSN, XBLA, eShop.
Old November 23 2013, 02:02 AM   #69
Aragorn
Admiral

I got my PS4 from Amazon this week. Booted up just fine.

The only thing bad I have to say is that the delivery service left it on my door where it just sat there out in the open for like six hours. Glad it didn't get stolen.

I've bought every PlayStation and Xbox, but I think I'm done with Xbox.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 02:47 AM   #70
Steven
Admiral

Apparently the XBone is also having some issues affecting a "small number of consoles":

Some new Xbox One owners are reporting that their launch consoles are faulty, with Blu-ray disc drives that emit grinding, crunching and clicking sounds and — more importantly — won't play disc-based games. In a statement provided to Polygon, Microsoft says it plans to take care of customers affected by hardware launch problems.
Old November 23 2013, 02:53 AM   #71
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Watching VGA Live's X-Box release show right now, and ouch. The XBones not coming off off well. Unresponsive Kinect and overly long game install times.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 06:02 AM   #72
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

And now Microsoft joins Sony by selling 1 million units within a single day. Although, it's worth noting that the Xbox One launched in 13 countries while the PS4 only launched in North America (2 countries). Either way, both systems are off to an amazing start. At this rate, both the PS4 and Xbox One could pass the Wii U in total sales by the end of the year if supply can keep up with demand.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:26 PM   #73
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Watching VGA Live's X-Box release show right now, and ouch. The XBones not coming off off well. Unresponsive Kinect and overly long game install times.
I watched part of the Giant Bomb livestream and I'd estimate that the voice commands worked around 75% of the time, the other 25% of the time it either didn't register a command or it did something completely different. At one point a game randomly paused because they were chatting about something and the Xbox registered it as the command to pause somehow. For the first day a 75% success rate might not bother users, but for everyday use that sort of failure rate would be very frustrating. You need +99% accuracy from an input mechanism to make it viable, and the voice commands just aren't there yet.

That wouldn't be such a big deal had the console's UI not been designed around voice commands. Navigating it doesn't seem to be as intuitive as it is on the 360 with many commonly used features being hidden within menus, and all games and apps are lumped together for some reason in a long list. It seems like a downright clunky experience with the controller, worse than the PS4 which already seems pretty unintuitive.

As for gesture stuff, that looked barely any better than it was on the first Kinect, which was garbage.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
And now Microsoft joins Sony by selling 1 million units within a single day. Although, it's worth noting that the Xbox One launched in 13 countries while the PS4 only launched in North America (2 countries). Either way, both systems are off to an amazing start. At this rate, both the PS4 and Xbox One could pass the Wii U in total sales by the end of the year if supply can keep up with demand.
I admit that I'm surprised by the fact that they sold that many, not because I didn't think there was interest in the console, but because of all those rumours about yield issues.

From the anecdotal evidence I've read online, it seems like they sold out in most areas in the US, but there's still stock available in Europe, Australia and New Zeeland. Shouldn't be too much of a shock considering Playstation is more popular outside the US and UK.
Old November 23 2013, 09:42 PM   #74
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

You misunderstood what I meant. I meant by saying that, that it doesn't matter if it's a small problem or a big one, just that Sony does need to be attentive to it and fix it for those who are affected instead of giving them the cold shoulder. In the grand scheme of things, it is something that Sony needs to deal with because it is a not a small problem, and neither a big problem, but nevertheless, a problem that needs sorting out. And I'm not just saying it for this problem, but any issues that may arise going forward. They should be more tactful in their support.
I don't think i misunderstood you.. nowehere did i see that Sony is refusing to either fix or replace faulty consoles. At the worst they are required to according to law.

What i was saying is that delays so soon after launch are expected but negative press, delays and thus disgruntled customers are factored in and weighed against the overall impact.

Of course Sony could have increased their customer support to extreme levels by pouring in money endlessly so every customer with a problem would be dealt with immediately but as is said Sony has made the calculations and a cost/benefit analysis and as with every other professional business they went with the best possible option.

Now a small percentage of customers may have a negative experience but it is a small percentage and thus not worthy the expenditure of millions for a bigger customer service just to avoid some bad press.

First half year after launch customer support may be a bit swamped but sooner or later it will level out to a more normal level so Sony is just waiting it out.. sucks for the few affected but every company will do the same.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 10:37 PM   #75
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess I just feel that Sony should have braced for impact knowing something major was on the horizon, and that with a major release such as this that there were bound to be a higher volume of support calls than usual. They could have done better in that regard.