Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 8 2014, 09:20 PM   #136
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Writing questions

I've just left a period of some difficulty with my attempted novel. This last chapter has been a slug to get through, and it's been largely responsible for the slip in my writing schedule and discipline. Prior to this, I was pleased enough with the pacing, but this, I worry, slows what was deliberately a slow-but-steady unfolding into something that drags. I would just cut the chapter, or rework some of the important parts into other scenes, but I don't think I can lose this without having to rewrite a few earlier scenes that I think work very well at moving characters along as they currently stand. Perhaps I should just continue and then tackle this bit again later, smooth it out and find a way to conclude what's so far unfolded reasonably well (I think...) without it prompting that unpleasant feeling that I've crossed a line I should have avoided.

I'm moving the story forward now - new location, quicker pace, established characters on the move and reacting to new things, and I think I'm getting back into the flow of it. I still feel uneasy about it, though. (I should note that the basic frame of the book is complete, it's just being fleshed out, filled in and occasionally rearranged based on what happens as I go). I think I've found a good balance between giving certain supporting characters enough "screentime" that they feel as significant as I'm intending, but without getting too bogged down in them - I just hope I didn't land in "okay, this is getting boring now".

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; May 8 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:29 PM   #137
Christopher
Writer

The usual advice -- though I don't always follow it myself -- is that it's okay for first drafts to be bad, because it's the revisions that solve the problems. So if you're not happy with a given chapter, it's okay to just keep going forward and fix it later. Maybe you'll happen upon a better way of conveying the necessary stuff from that chapter.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:33 PM   #138
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Well, that's rather a relief. Very well then, on I go. I'll be back for you later, chapter-that-drags.
Old May 8 2014, 10:13 PM   #139
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Blocking is a good thing as well, like a painting. Start rough and quick, get all your ideas on paper as fluidly as possible, and then refine.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 03:06 PM   #140
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Blocking is a good thing as well, like a painting. Start rough and quick, get all your ideas on paper as fluidly as possible, and then refine.
Exactly. The first time through is just to figure out how to get from Point A to B. You can spruce things up later.
Old May 9 2014, 03:53 PM   #141
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm remembering when I tried writing a story without an outline...just a small under 3000 word thing...and wrote myself right into a logistical brick wall.

I was able to salvage the story, if gutting 2/3 of it and doing some significant restructuring counts as salvaging. Ended up keeping the original draft for posterity.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 09:32 PM   #142
Tiberius
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
The usual advice -- though I don't always follow it myself -- is that it's okay for first drafts to be bad, because it's the revisions that solve the problems. So if you're not happy with a given chapter, it's okay to just keep going forward and fix it later. Maybe you'll happen upon a better way of conveying the necessary stuff from that chapter.
A good book is not written, it's REwritten.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 04:29 AM   #143
JD
Admiral

LOL, I've never heard that before.