Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 12 2013, 02:39 AM   #31
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Lt. Kim

teacake wrote: View Post
Poor Lil' Kim.. his thread is as derailed as his career path.
Poor Kim indeed.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:02 AM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Not everyone in Starfleet is destined for greatness. The new James T. Kirk gets his first taste of command and he saves the planet. Harry Kim gets his first taste of command and... "Nightingale"

In the alternate-future of "Endgame" someone let Harry become captain of a mighty starship... and he let his entire timeline be erased and destroyed by a crazy old woman.
Old November 12 2013, 03:11 AM   #33
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^You mean Admiral crazy old woman.

She was so distraught that Kim got a promotion, she had to go back and rewrite history.
Old November 12 2013, 04:07 AM   #34
dub
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Not everyone in Starfleet is destined for greatness. The new James T. Kirk gets his first taste of command and he saves the planet. Harry Kim gets his first taste of command and... "Nightingale"
nuKirk > Harry Kim. Congratulations?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 07:05 AM   #35
davidant32
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I've always believed that the billet for an operations officer aboard an Intrepid-class ship only warranted an ensign (the rest of the department consisted of enlisted personnel).
There was room for more Lieutenants on Voyager, though. Lt. Peter Durst died in S1, and until S7 we were left to assume Lt. Joe Carey had died somewhere in Seasons 2-6. And as far as starships having too many high-raking officers, just look at TUC, where the Enterprise-A has Captains Kirk, Spock, and Scott as well as Commanders Chekov and Uhura, and that was in the AQ.

Maybe Kim's lack of promotion was a decision by TPTB similar to the inability of the show to acknowledge that by S7, the ship was likely in the Beta Quadrant.

Last edited by davidant32; November 12 2013 at 07:41 AM.
davidant32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:25 AM   #36
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

TUC may not be a good baseline since the ship was on an exceptionally sensitive diplomatic mission at the time.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:23 PM   #37
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
I've always believed that the billet for an operations officer aboard an Intrepid-class ship only warranted an ensign (the rest of the department consisted of enlisted personnel).
There was room for more Lieutenants on Voyager, though.
Janeway apparently didn't need any more lieutenants in her chain of command.
Old November 12 2013, 05:26 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

There was room for more Lieutenants on Voyager, though.
Janeway, however, apparently didn't need any more lieutenants in her chain of command. As master and commander of the Voyager (as well as the highest Starfleet authority figure in the Delta Quadrant), she was well within her right to determine its pecking order.

Another captain might have done things differently but that goes without saying in any situation.
Old November 12 2013, 05:39 PM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The ratio of officers to crewmen, and the higher ranked Officers ot he lower ranked officers, is probably constant, but as you reduce crew, you also reduce the need for officers, and higher ranked officers.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:43 PM   #40
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

It seemed like Kim saved the day quite a few times...
I asked before and after checking around I still can't find something promotion worthy that Kim did. Anyone know of any situation where without Kim, it would have ended in tragedy (8472's encounter doesn't count)?
Old November 12 2013, 05:57 PM   #41
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I would have rather seen Neelix or Seven get a provisional Lieutenant rank over Harry.
Old November 12 2013, 06:03 PM   #42
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, you may as well ask why Janeway didn't make herself an Admiral. They really weren't in Starfleet's normal operations sphere anymore so there really wasn't much point to promoting Kim. He was already part of the Senior Officers group in the first place (which for someone out of the Academy, was a pretty big thing).

And the reason why modern Navies have a "Get promoted or retire" mentality is because in Modern Navies room for officers is limited because said Armed Forces are limited to Earth. They only have so many ships and so many people going in and out.

With Starfleet, they have all that vastness of space and new ships being built all the time so there's no need for that limitation anymore because there's always more room. So there's no real problem with not getting promoted once every few years.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 06:22 PM   #43
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Promotions all around. Janeway get's promoted to Admiral, Chakotay becomes Captain of Voyager, Tom get's to be Commander of the Delta Flyer, B'elanna gets Lieutenant Commander status overseeing both ships with Joe Carey becoming Lieutenant, Tuvok get's promoted to Commander of Voyager, Seven of Nine and Neelix gets Wesley's acting ensign status, and The Doctor already has that ECH program... am I forgetting anyone?

No, that's it.
Old November 12 2013, 07:50 PM   #44
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's been awhile since I've seen VOY, but I'm hard-pressed to recall anything particularly outstanding that Kim did as well. Possibly his contributions to Astrometrics and his work to get the Hirogen off the ship in Killing Game?

Unfortunately, I could also make up a list of dumb things he did, sooooo....
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:00 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

With a few rare exceptions... I doubt very many people at all got promoted on that trip. You have a single ship, with a single command structure and promoting people is just gonna screw with that. There's even less of a need for promoting people as you take casualties for the most part.

Tuvok got promoted, but that was mainly to cement him as third in command more than anything else. Tom lost rank, the Voyager hierarchy wasn't effected... at all. He got it back, and the only consequence was Harry feeling deprived.

Now after Endgame, I'm sure there were promotions across the board. Pity they decided to fade to black rather than show an actual resolution.