RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 669
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 12 2013, 03:03 AM   #31
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Hit a dog on hwy...

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
*snip*
You are right. I apologize
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:03 AM   #32
Pavonis
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Just what IF dogs were not considered a "property". Some groups would love that. And it's not unthinkable. And it would only mean a change on the legal issue, not the moral one.
If dogs were not property, what would they be? Independent beings responsible for their own actions? Legally and financially responsible for their own care and well-being? No, they'd just end up strays that still occasionally get hit by a vehicle.

Of course, there is a fringe group that thinks pet ownership is our generation's slavery, that pet ownership is cruel and unusual punishment. Never mind that my pets have leisurely days with plenty of food, sleep, fun, and exercise, while I'm the one that legally has to deal with their excrement on the sidewalk. Who's the slave in this arrangement?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:22 AM   #33
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

I have Progressive Insurance and they said that I have to pay the deductible on the damages and that it would go as a claim on my insurance and then after the work is done, then they would send the lady the bill and hopefully she would decide to pay it.
That doesnt sound right. Its almost like Progressive (my auto insurance) doesnt want me to do anything. Just go away and keep the damages.
And why should I have to file it as ANY type of claim on MY insurance. It should go on the ladies homeowners insurance right?
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:21 AM   #34
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That doesn't sound right to me, either. I got in an accident a few years back and the gal that hit me admitted fault and I did have some neck issues. She was okay with paying, but her insurance company (Geico) didn't seem to want to admit anything. Mine (Metropolitan) went after them and made sure they paid. I think you need to force the issue a bit.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:22 AM   #35
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I wonder whether it's the insurance company's policy to assume the policyholder is at fault until there's an official record from the other party.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 11:26 AM   #36
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
Trust me, if I could bring the dog back I would. And I feel bad for having to go after this person . But they have already made it clear they don't intend to pay anything. Even when the police report says it's their fault.
Thank you for all the replies... We'll most...
God people are pigs sometimes.

Like everyone else has said, if you're insured, go to your insurance company. They'll fix up those deadbeat homeowners.

If you don't have insurance, it's a little tougher, but you can launch legal action against them.

One way or another - I wouldn't let the cretins get away with it. Destroy their property and spread salt all over their lands so nothing will ever grow back there again.*

* not being sarcastic
Old November 12 2013, 11:30 AM   #37
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
I have Progressive Insurance and they said that I have to pay the deductible on the damages and that it would go as a claim on my insurance and then after the work is done, then they would send the lady the bill and hopefully she would decide to pay it.
That doesnt sound right. Its almost like Progressive (my auto insurance) doesnt want me to do anything. Just go away and keep the damages.
And why should I have to file it as ANY type of claim on MY insurance. It should go on the ladies homeowners insurance right?
Yep. Standard practice. If they succeed in recovering from the third party you get your excess back.

If you think you'll succeed in getting the third party's insurance details and getting them to pay up, go for it. It's a lot harder to do that especially if they are denying liability ....
Old November 12 2013, 11:51 AM   #38
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

I cannot wait for something like this to happen where I can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage thru my own negligence and then when this person wants my insurance info Im just not gonna give it to them. Is that how it works now?
Old November 12 2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

One way it could work is you sue them, then they go to their liability insurer.
Doing it through your insurer will remove a lot of risk and hassle from the process. Rest assured, if there's a reasonable prospect of recovery from the third party, your insurer will pursue it.
Old November 12 2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I think the issue is that it didn't happen on the homeowner's property, so technically it's not a homeowner's insurance claim. Nor did it involve their vehicle, so it's not an auto insurance claim, either. That means your only recourse might be suing them directly. They should be legally liable because they didn't secure their dog, but obviously you'd have to spend a little money on this. Depending on the amount of the damages, you could take it to small claims court, where it wouldn't cost you too much to get this taken care of.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:50 PM   #41
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

Let me explain exactly what happened. I was driving on a local rural highway. It was about 9:40 at night so it was totally dark. I'm driving and I didn't even see anything and then I heard a sound comming from my front passenger side. I figured I must have run into something so I pulled over. That's when I figured out what had happened. The poor dog was dead instantly. But it also took out my passenger side front bumper and the side part that kinda wraps around.
So it happened right out in the middle if the road. I do feel bad even having to ask for money to repair my 6 month old 2013 Subaru Imprezza. But I didn't make the dog go after my tires. I didn't leave it out without a leash or electric fence. But now I have to be the "Bad" guy and ask this lady to pay a couple thousand to fix my car.
Old November 12 2013, 03:09 PM   #42
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, I assume you have insurance which will pay to fix it, but as you noted, you'd have to pay a deductible and will increase your rates because it is a claim being paid against your policy.

If you want to recoup the money, you'll likely have to sue the owner.

It's not an idea situation for anyone, but it is what it is.
My blog
Old November 12 2013, 04:36 PM   #43
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I have Progressive. Which is just a little bit better than nothing... I don't want to claim anything on MY insurance. The police report says it was the dogs owner who is at fault. So if anything, it should go on the homeowners policy.
I strongly DO NOT recommend #Progressive insurance. They only want to collect their money. When I told them that I was told that they are supposed to go after the dogs owner they said they don't do that at progressive.
Old November 12 2013, 05:10 PM   #44
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If you can afford it, I think it's time to consult an attorney then. Sorry you're faced with all of this.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:11 PM   #45
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

The problem is there is no other insurance to collect it on. Legally, neither the homeowner's insurance nor their auto insurance policy is involved, since it didn't happen on their property and it didn't involve their car.

I was wrong when I said your insurance would take care of recouping from the pet owner. Given the circumstances, they are liable, but their insurance isn't.

If you want your car fixed, get it fixed under your auto insurance, or pay for it out of your own pocket. Either way, once you've done that, you can sue the pet owner to recover your damages. Their pet caused it, you have a police report to that effect, so it shouldn't be too tough a case. It's just a matter of whether you want to go through the trouble.
My blog