Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 12 2013, 12:15 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hit a dog on hwy...

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Well, it is kinda tough to ask for money for your car when you killed their dog with it.
Doesn't matter. Leash laws would mean the dog should have been restrained and they're responsible for the damage to the car.
Old November 12 2013, 12:24 AM   #17
J.T.B.
Commodore

Well, it is kinda tough to ask for money for your car when you killed their dog with it.
It shouldn't be. If they had been responsible about controlling their animal the car wouldn't be damaged and the poor dog would be alive.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Tell your insurance company where the owners live. They'll take care of it and get the information they need.

Sorry to hear you hit a dog and are broken up about it, though. It sucks.
This
Agreed. The insurance company has the resources to deal with them and would definitely want to get reimbursed if they've paid out.

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Nice job killing a dog.
Go **** ********
What he said.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Smoothie, not cool! CaptainJack is clearly very upset that he killed that poor dog!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:37 AM   #20
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Sometimes you have to make a call: dodge an animal in the road or hit it. There's situations, be it weather, traffic, road conditions, that make the safer of the two options being to hit the animal. And you can't say "well it's just a car". It can be your life, or the life of someone else on the road, or the life of the people in the car with you. If you can avoid hitting the animal safely, that's the default action, but when it endangers others around adn with you have to make the hard choice.

Yeah, I've had to hit a dog that ran out into the road. On an ice covered road in the middle of the night with steep drops off one side and next to zero time to react, I had to make a choice. Dit it tear me up? Fuck ya'. sometimes you have no choice.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:55 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Sometimes you have to make a call: dodge an animal in the road or hit it. There's situations, be it weather, traffic, road conditions, that make the safer of the two options being to hit the animal. And you can't say "well it's just a car". It can be your life, or the life of someone else on the road, or the life of the people in the car with you. If you can avoid hitting the animal safely, that's the default action, but when it endangers others around adn with you have to make the hard choice.

Yeah, I've had to hit a dog that ran out into the road. On an ice covered road in the middle of the night with steep drops off one side and next to zero time to react, I had to make a choice. Dit it tear me up? Fuck ya'. sometimes you have no choice.
I've hit a dog too, it's not fun or enjoyable. But it was that or swerve into another car or an embankment, hitting the brakes slowed me but not fast enough. Leash up your dogs, folks.
Old November 12 2013, 12:55 AM   #22
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Doesn't matter. Leash laws would mean the dog should have been restrained and they're responsible for the damage to the car.
I wouldn't be able to do that, I'm too inclined to look at things from the other guy's point of view. Someone just killed my dog and now wants me to pay them for doing so? Nuts to that!

I'd probably just tell the insurance company I thought it was a deer. That's normally covered as a comprehensive event, which means no rate increase regardless of fault. It would be more complicated with a police report involved, though.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:06 AM   #23
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Emotionally, it would be tough to ask for money from the owners, at least for me. That's part of why the insurance company should be doing the asking, not the OP.

CaptainJack, I'm sorry this happened. I feel bad for all of you -- you, the dog, and even the irresponsible owners.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:38 AM   #24
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Nice job killing a dog.
Remember that old adage about "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"? This is about as far to the polar opposite of something nice as you can get.

Infraction issued for trolling. Comments to PM

Nice job killing a dog.
Go **** ********
While I understand the desire to tell someone off when you think they are making an *** out of themselves, this really doesn't help matters. See that little notify icon under his location in the left hand column? When you see something like this, please use that link to notify on the post and let 4th Hanson Bro, Locutus of Bored, or myself handle it.

Handling things this way just gives the troll what they want....attention and the possibility of drawing out an infraction for you.

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
Trust me, if I could bring the dog back I would. And I feel bad for having to go after this person . But they have already made it clear they don't intend to pay anything. Even when the police report says it's their fault.
Thank you for all the replies... We'll most...
CaptainJack, as others have said, the best thing for you to do at this point is to go through your insurance company. Give them a copy of the police report and let them handle getting the money out of these people. They've already shown that they are irresponsible by failing to control their dog. What makes you think that they are suddenly going to do a 180 and do the responsible thing in paying for your car's damages? This isn't your fault. The damage was caused by the dog, and last I heard, the dog owner is responsible for paying for the damages caused by the dog. Also, local leash laws should also point the finger of liability at them.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:55 AM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It shouldn't be. If they had been responsible about controlling their animal the car wouldn't be damaged and the poor dog would be alive.
Hm, let's say instead of a dog it's a child that ran away from home. How would the situation be then in your opinion?

Now you could say animals are not children. But for some people they are. And there is such a thing as neglecting parental/supervisory duties, which is comparable to neglecting leash laws.
In both cases, what it comes down eventually - in my opinion - is the cruel statement "Dude, your dog/kid ruined my car."
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:57 AM   #26
Pavonis
Commodore

I think children are not considered property, while pets are. Legally different situations. Of course, I have no children....
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:20 AM   #27
J.T.B.
Commodore

Hm, let's say instead of a dog it's a child that ran away from home. How would the situation be then in your opinion?

Now you could say animals are not children. But for some people they are. And there is such a thing as neglecting parental/supervisory duties, which is comparable to neglecting leash laws.
In both cases, what it comes down eventually - in my opinion - is the cruel statement "Dude, your dog/kid ruined my car."
Legally domestic animals are not the same as children; the comparison is not valid. If they are morally equivalent to you personally and you would prefer to take the loss on the vehicle, that's fine. But the OP is not "cruel" for wanting to be made whole for an accident that was not his fault and could have been prevented by reasonable measures on the part of the pet owner.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:28 AM   #28
Pavonis
Commodore

Of course people are attached to their pets, but the emotional attachment isn't legally recognized and doesn't make a pet equal to a child legally. It's a tough situation. No one is happy about the dog's death, but what can be done? The car is damaged, and leaving it damaged won't bring the dog back. Not paying for the damage won't bring the dog back, either.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:42 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, pets and children are two completely different things. First of all you're not required by law to keep your children bound up in your yard. Also when a child is crossing the street, even if not at a crosswalk, he's technically a pedestrian and it's always illegal to not yield to pedestrians. A dog is something very different, as said a dog is technically property and doesn't have any "right" to cross the street anywhere it wants. They're legally supposed to stay in the owner's yard or with owner on a leash. (Dog parks not withstanding.)

The owner failed to keep their dog under the confines of the law and are responsible for the injuries sustained to the animal and the damages to the car. I agree with what other posters said, the insurance company should handle this it's what you pay them to do. File the claim and you should be all set barring extreme circumstances and even then I think the insurance company will take the action necessary to get payment out of those liable for the accident.

Look, no one feels good about the death of the animal but at the end of the day there was still damage done to you and it happened because the pet owners were not responsible and acting inside the law by keeping the dog restrained. You shouldn't have to pay for it either out of your pocket or with higher insurance premiums by filing a claim against yourself.
Old November 12 2013, 02:44 AM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Legal or not, I still think it's kinda cruel, and I personally couldn't do it. Legal and right are not always on the same side. Just what IF dogs were not considered a "property". Some groups would love that. And it's not unthinkable. And it would only mean a change on the legal issue, not the moral one.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
But the OP is not "cruel" for wanting to be made whole for an accident that was not his fault and could have been prevented by reasonable measures on the part of the pet owner.
Is there some sort of a time limit for that responsibility? Like if the dog ran away and couldn't be found for a month and then gets "found" (killed) by the car? Or does there have to be a clear connection between the events?

Last edited by JarodRussell; November 12 2013 at 02:56 AM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote