RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 385
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 20 2013, 05:51 PM   #76
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Small things you'd've liked to've happened in TNG

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
^According to Data, synthehol's "intoxicating effects can be easily dismissed". (TNG: "Relics") (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Synthehol)

It sounds more like you don't get drunk.
Well then it would be all about the specific taste, and burning, and stuff of alcohol. And that doesn't make too much sense.

Or by "easily dismissed" he means "no hangover".
It could be closer than we think.
I find it curious how they want people to be drunk, but not agressive. Isn't that depending on the type of person? Some get agressive, some get all depressed, some get all sociable, etc...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 05:59 PM   #77
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Chemically, anything is fixable.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:21 PM   #78
Maxillius
Commander

Just a small thing?

Make Pulaski permanent. I never have liked Dr. Crusher. She's almost worse than Wesley.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:48 PM   #79
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I prefer Beverly over Pulaski. It's not like I hate Pulaski though.
Old November 20 2013, 11:15 PM   #80
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

^According to Data, synthehol's "intoxicating effects can be easily dismissed". (TNG: "Relics")

It sounds more like you don't get drunk.
This is why I'd make a terrible writer. Or lawyer. A seemingly simple, direct phrase actually has implied meaning above and beyond what it initially seems to.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #81
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
I prefer Beverly over Pulaski. It's not like I hate Pulaski though.
^What he said.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:49 AM   #82
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^According to Data, synthehol's "intoxicating effects can be easily dismissed".
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Or by "easily dismissed" he means "no hangover".
But Data spoke of the "intoxicating effect," and not the lingering results, my take in that no matter how much you consume, you can never get more than a light to medium weight buzz.

Robert Picard said with synthehol you "never lose control."

Would kind of takes all the fun out of drinking.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:09 AM   #83
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Robert Picard said with synthehol you "never lose control."

Would kind of takes all the fun out of drinking.
For a second, I thought you meant Robert Picardo!

But yeah. To each their own, but I just can't picture the joy of, "Mmm! Tastes just like straight-up vodka! And no buzz, to boot! This is the drink for me!"
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:49 AM   #84
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

A couple more episodes set during the night shift would have been nice. If that's how the bridge is supposed to look like at "night," it's hard to believe that roughly 175 or so of the E-D's adventures all happened during the day. It wouldn't make much of a difference production-wise anyway since the senior staff would jump into action no matter what time of the day an emergency comes up.

An episode where Lore and Tom Riker team up (though admittedly I look at Tom through DS9-lenses).

Tricky to pull off, but I wonder what "classical" music composed from the 21st-24th centuries would sound like. The characters kept listening to music made prior to the 1900s, but music doesn't stop being created. Music is still being composed today, after all, and our definition of classic constantly changes as time goes on. After all, in the real world, we have a genre called 21st-Century/Modern Classical. Now, on very rare occasions we'd hear what would be considered modern music, but it seemed more pop-y or jazzy with a completely different audience (Gambit, for example).

The main cast of Lower Decks becoming recurring characters, or at the very least, background characters.

Seeing a photon torpedo being launched from within the torpedo bay would've been neat, though perhaps not worth the budget for a TV show of that era.

The Enterprise-D flying in an atmosphere. Forget Into Darkness, TOS did it first.
Old November 21 2013, 05:03 AM   #85
Finn
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
A couple more episodes set during the night shift would have been nice. If that's how the bridge is supposed to look like at "night," it's hard to believe that roughly 175 or so of the E-D's adventures all happened during the day. It wouldn't make much of a difference production-wise anyway since the senior staff would jump into action no matter what time of the day an emergency comes up.
Many had scenes during nighttime...really. Besides, we don't always know the time of the day. For all we know, the ending of BOBW Part One happened at 2am.

The main cast of Lower Decks becoming recurring characters, or at the very least, background characters.
Ogawa....

Seeing a photon torpedo being launched from within the torpedo bay would've been neat, though perhaps not worth the budget for a TV show of that era.
Why would it blow the budget?? All they have to do is set up a room where a plywood box shaped like a torpedo is pushed into a hole....

The Enterprise-D flying in an atmosphere. Forget Into Darkness, TOS did it first.
The D did it in Arsenal of Freedom and Interface. Maybe a couple of other times.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 05:21 AM   #86
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
Many had scenes during nighttime...really. Besides, we don't always know the time of the day. For all we know, the ending of BOBW Part One happened at 2am.
Which episodes other than Data's Day outright showed the dimmed lights of night shift (and not because of some freak power outage)? A couple others maybe, but not *many,* and certainly teeny, tiny fraction of 7 seasons' worth of screentime. Only a couple episodes (or even perhaps only one) showed a dimmer bridge to reflect night shift, and even then the ship was operating on a routine basis, so no emergencies.

Ogawa....
...who was a recurring character before the episode, and hardly the only primary cast member of that episode. Even discounting Sito for obvious reasons, there's still 3 more characters. Ogawa did not debut in this episode, but it was nice to see her fleshed out.

Why would it blow the budget?? All they have to do is set up a room where a plywood box shaped like a torpedo is pushed into a hole....
Also launching it, then flaring it up, and then propelling it at warp speed, a sequence that happens in a couple seconds, and thus not really justifying the cost, if it's an expensive set piece with SFX that is supposed be a very brief sequence because of the speed of a torpedo; after all, there is virtually no delay between Worf pushing the Fire button and the torpedo rocketing away. It's much easier and much more cost efficient to show the torpedo firing from outside the ship, which is what they did (and to date, almost every single instance across all the shows and movies). But even simple shipboard phaser blasts were expensive for the show, one of the reasons why the action only occasionally showed external phaser fire (compare to the number of times that the characters said they fire, or the ship rocking to imply that effect -- even the action heavy Yesterday's Enterprise had more instances of fire being told or implied than shown through FX).

The D did it in Arsenal of Freedom and Interface. Maybe a couple of other times.
No, I mean flying *within* the atmosphere. Arsenal of Freedom showed the Enterprise in re-entry and threatening to burn herself to death, but surely safer flights a la modern aircraft are possible. Compare that to the TOS Enterprise, with the ship trying to fly *up* but was still deep enough in the atmosphere that a 1960s jet was able to pursue.

Last edited by Cyke101; November 21 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:05 PM   #87
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Maxillius wrote: View Post
Just a small thing?

Make Pulaski permanent. I never have liked Dr. Crusher. She's almost worse than Wesley.
Replace both of them with Selar
Old November 21 2013, 01:14 PM   #88
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post

Ogawa....

Dude, why are you argueing with a wishlist?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:33 PM   #89
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

I'd have preferred to see the crew listening to something more than Classical or Jazz.

Wesley Crusher, especially during his chunky sweater phase in the first season, looks like he could be a fan of Mumford & Sons.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:29 PM   #90
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Maxillius wrote: View Post
Just a small thing?

Replace both of them with Selar
I would've loved to at least seen more of Selar. I thought she was too interesting to be just a one off character, I wonder why she never returned? She did get a pretty juicy role in the New Frontier books, she's one of my favorite characters in that series.