New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 17 2013, 06:04 AM   #31
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Re: 'Friday's Child' question...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
As for the episode itself: I liked it. Probably my favorite bit was where McCoy gets all Capellanly passive-aggressive and says "What Kras says is unimportant and we do not hear his words."
That was good. I liked how Maab kept referring to their topaline as "our rocks". Clearly it was totally valueless to them, much as we might refer to chunks of concrete or something.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:45 AM   #32
Wingsley
Commodore

I like the idea of the Capellans being descendants of a "failed" Earth colony. Maybe they were escaped "Augment" renegades, or, like the Neo-Transcendentalist Bringloidi of the failed S.S. Mariposa expedition (TNG's "Up the Long Ladder"), their ship had trouble and the colonists had to bail out on this planet without the benefit of their technology.

I actually like to think of the Capellans as a combination of these ideas. Maybe, like Khan, the sleeper ship S.S. Capella arrived at Alpha Aurigae IV with a full payload of hibernating eugenic supermen, but their ship crashed ("Planet of the Apes"-style) and they were forced to live primitively without any technology. With their leadership all having perished in the crash, the aimless colonists fought each other until the rudderless settlement was in chaos and near starvation. (Even an Augment has to eat.) The result was a new generation of filthy, under-educated children whose factional parents formed the Ten Tribes of Capella. Because the colony was made of Earth's descendants who found and settled the world with the use of a space vessel, and because the colonists were self-described outlaws that Earth did not have the inclination to reclaim, the Capellans occupied a weird grey area of simultaneously being both covered by and exempt from Earth's laws in general and the Federation Prime Directive in particular. In essence, the Federation would be in the awkward position of treating Capella as both an "orphan" world and an "alien" society to be dealt with diplomatically.

-----------------------------------------------

As for the notion that some of the scenes were jarring in the episode, this never bothered me. It was plainly understood from the ep's teaser that the Capellans were violent and unpredictable. After the verbal confrontation between Aka'ar and Ma'ab, it seemed to be a standard TOS plot flow for the Klingon ship to start making mischief and for the tribal settlement to explode with violence. The plot thickens...

One thing that isn't made clear is whether Capella is in Federation space or not. It's never firmly established (from what I could figure out, anyway) where Capella is in the TOS Universe. There are three possibilities:
  1. The Capellan star system is in Federation space, but occupies a strange status as a failed colony/non-alligned world.
  2. The Capellan star system is in the disputed area between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, along with Arcanis, Organia, Donatu and Sherman's Planet. This would make Capella ripe for the picking.
  3. The Capellan star system is a distant world, removed from both the Federation and Klingon sphere of influence, and the only reason either side would bother with it is the discovery of the valuable topaline mineral.

It's understandable that people will look at an uber-60s ep like "Friday's Child", with its way-out costumes and its "oooochie-wooochie-coooochie-coo" and roll their eyes. You could do that with the better-written "A Private Little War", as well. (I regard "Friday's Child", "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "A Private Little War" as a kind of loose Federation-Klingon intrigue anthology. They're like companion stories.) Kras, Krell and Arne Darvin seem to personify the proxy-conflict nature of these stories, all the merry while the Enterprise either evades the mysterious Klingon ship, or the Klingon ship evades the Enterprise, or "you have six hours to get your ship out of Federation territory" and let's not bother showing the Klingon ship anyway because it was not in the budget.

The biggest issues I had with "Friday's Child" weren't the costumes or the jarring violence or the missing Klingon ship (later "fixed" by "remastering"). It was the notion that the Federation ordered the Enterprise to this planet to disrupt the lives of the primitive inhabitants for a mining treaty. Clearly that mineral (and getting the best of the Klingons) was more important than the Prime Directive. (Of course, this can be explained/retconned away, see above.)
Old November 17 2013, 07:02 AM   #33
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Interesting ideas, Wingsley, and well-stated!

I wasn't so much 'bothered' by the jarring scenes, more that I simply noticed them. It had a feeling to me of having gone to the bathroom or kitchen and missed something. Akaar was established as the leader, had his introduction scene, meaningful dialogue, close-ups, father of the plot-important baby, the whole nine yards. After, he was only mentioned, and that mention being that he was dead.

I always did wonder about those episodes where the Enterprise was ordered to do some mission, consequences be damned. It does sort of imply some bigger, never-discussed federation agenda or goal, which I find fascinating!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:26 AM   #34
Wingsley
Commodore

It depends on what the Augment eugenics did to their lineage, plus the effects of settling on the planet. Maybe there are subtle differences which make them "alien".
Old November 17 2013, 07:28 AM   #35
Wingsley
Commodore

Another thing that gets me (and only Hollywierd could do this) is how quickly Eleen is able to walk so soon after giving birth.
Old November 17 2013, 09:14 AM   #36
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Lots of Earth animals walk around immediately after giving birth, and Eleen IS an alien, with possibly different plumbing, or maybe it's just that "not all people keep their genitals in the same place".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 08:30 AM   #37
Albertese
Commodore

I like this episode. Probably not on my ten favorite list but probably in the top half. I don't get the vitriol that this one sometimes gets hit with.

--Alex
Old November 18 2013, 03:17 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I also like That Which Survives. Never understood the hate?
Old November 18 2013, 04:44 PM   #39
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I'm a fan of this episode, even though it has plenty of faults. Because he has some good lines, I'm even a fan of Bob the Discount Klingon (a.k.a. Kras). My favorite line of his [ref]:

KRAS: The next man who raises a weapon destroys all of you. You and your primitive knives and your weapons, I'll teach you what killing really means.
Old November 19 2013, 01:27 AM   #40
Wingsley
Commodore

^ I enjoyed that line, too!

Kras gets dissed because he's too white, unlike Kang and Kor. I never had a problem with the notion of the Klingon Empire being a multi-racial society like the Federation was.
Old November 23 2013, 09:15 AM   #41
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Botany Bay

I'm a bit surpised at the reactions this episode is getting. I've always found plenty of good things - location shots, Vasquez rocks, Scotty playing cat and mouse with the Klingons, some nice banter among the crew, and DeForest Kelley is fantastic (as usual). On the downside, the Klingon ship was a horrible blob of light, and the transitions from the studio to Vasquez rocks - with both supposed to represent Capella - were pretty jarring.

Oh and, yes, I agree, Bob the Klingon can't hold a candle to Kor, Kang et al.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'm a fan of this episode, even though it has plenty of faults. Because he has some good lines, I'm even a fan of Bob the Discount Klingon (a.k.a. Kras). My favorite line of his [ref]:

KRAS: The next man who raises a weapon destroys all of you. You and your primitive knives and your weapons, I'll teach you what killing really means.
Funny you quoted this, I was just about to as well - because that might be what we hear, but it sure isn't what Bob's lips were saying. Either Bob is a terrible lip sync, or they were removing a reference to something that didn't make the final cut - 'Kligat' or 'Makeen' maybe?
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:05 PM   #42
Forbin
Admiral

Bob the Klingon would have won if he'd had Pete, Link and Julie with him.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:51 PM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Funny you quoted this, I was just about to as well - because that might be what we hear, but it sure isn't what Bob's lips were saying. Either Bob is a terrible lip sync, or they were removing a reference to something that didn't make the final cut - 'Kligat' or 'Makeen' maybe?
The kligat is a traditional Capellan weapon. It's what one of them uses to kill the redshirt. They actually named it in the episode, didn't they?
Old November 23 2013, 05:18 PM   #44
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

It's been years since I've seen Friday's Child. Thanks for pointing it out; I'll keep my eyes open next time it's on.

Perhaps they decided after the location shooting that "weapon" was a better choice, because they figured that the average viewer would be too confused by "'kligat'"? I certainly agree that the line, as the reference I used transcribed it, is superior to that alternative, simply because it's more accessible.
Old December 11 2013, 12:24 PM   #45
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I hadn't seen this episode in years, but I watched it last night and... well, is the baby really McCoy's or what?
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote