Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 12 2013, 02:31 PM   #16
alchemist
Commander

Re: 'Friday's Child' question...

plynch wrote: View Post
WHY WHY WHY is this the episode they actually find missing footage from???

as per Charlie Brown, "AAUGGH!"

I think I hated this episode the most anyway. Now this. Even worse than "That Which Survives." That is a nothing so I hate it on principle. This one I truly really dislike.

But I digress. . .
We reach, brother! "Friday's Child" is at the very top of my disliked episodes list - I just can't stand it.

And the universe apparently doesn't like it either, to wit: The missing scene footage to which you're referring was found in a garbage bag in California. Missed it by that much...

Old November 12 2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Grant
Fleet Captain

WHY WHY WHY is this the episode they actually find missing footage from???

as per Charlie Brown, "AAUGGH!"

I think I hated this episode the most anyway. Now this. Even worse than "That Which Survives." That is a nothing so I hate it on principle. This one I truly really dislike.

But I digress. . .
What missing footage was found---you mean the script excerpt of actual footage?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 09:49 PM   #18
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Click above and there is soundless footage for missing scene.
Old November 13 2013, 05:38 AM   #19
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Why is this, exactly? I used to be like that once. To me, as a kid, nothing slowed down a story more than carting around a pregnant woman...well, with the exception of a character breaking her shoe during a pursuit scene. I've grown to rather like it, though!

Melakon wrote: View Post
I actually liked the Capellans. It was an attempt by the series to present a genuinely different race with different social behaviors and distinctive costumes
Agreed!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:36 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I sometimes wonder if a scene was cut for time, or never filmed, or never written with all the stuff happening in that episode. Though at least they were on location with a big cast and an impressive explosion scene.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I never saw Julie Newmar in anything else. Did she normally speak with an accent, as she did in this episode?
Julie (80 now) always used a distinctive voice with her characters, and I suspect she was using a Capellan accent.

If you've never seen her work before, you should see her as Catwoman on the old Batman tv series from around the same time. Then check her out as a Native American warrior woman in the film Mackenna's Gold. And check out an earlier non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in the film Li'l Abner. And then look for her own series with Bob Cummings where she's a robot, My Living Doll.
Thanks - I'll check Netflix and see if any of those are available.

I don't understand why this episode seems to be so hated - it's no better or worse than most of them, and it's nice to see McCoy having more to do.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I never saw Julie Newmar in anything else...
...If you've never seen her work before... check out an earlier non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in the film Li'l Abner...
Thanks - I'll check Netflix and see if any of those are available.
An example:

—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:26 PM   #22
plynch
Commodore

i do not know why I hate it as I do. As in, will likely never watch again. The only other one on that list so far is That Which Survives.
Old November 16 2013, 03:48 AM   #23
Use of Time
Commodore

When I first saw this episode I was dealing with my two small children running around in the living room which made hearing the conversations difficult at times. Because of this I thought they were saying "Bob" instead of Maab. To this day I will smirk and call him Bob.
Old November 16 2013, 04:12 AM   #24
plynch
Commodore

i do not know why I hate it as I do. As in, will likely never watch again. The only other one on that list so far is That Which Survives.
And Mudd's Women.
Old November 17 2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Wingsley
Commodore

Maybe I'm going against the grain here, but I always enjoyed "Friday's Child". So the Enterprise and the Klingons are in competition to woo a planet of tent-dwelling half-gypsy, half-hillbilly aliens into taking sides in their competition for resources. As Kirk might say: "Sounds like fun!"

It worked for me. I actually prefer this ep over "A Private Little War", even though the Vietnam-War-era plot is superior. I prefer the hillbillies of Capella because I know so many.

The notion of using communicators as weapons was always entertaining to me as well.

The light tone of the episode made it so enjoyable. "Fool me twice shame on me" "I know dis saying. It was inwented in Russia!" The idea that Scott takes the old boat out for a cruise-to-nowhere seemed appropriate for the era anyway, no?

Anyway, the "Introduction to Navigation: Star Fleet Command" booklet included in "Star Trek Maps" (Bantam, 1980) contained a very interesting entry on the Capella star system:

CAPELLA [Alpha Aurigae] (11.1, 60.0, 4.6)
This system contains four stars. Two of them are yellow stars forming a binary pair. They are orbited at a distance of 0.17 light-year by a binary pair of the other two stars, red dwarfs. The only inhabited planet in the system is the outermost of four orbiting the central yellow binary pair. A Class G desert world, Capella IV has a small population of nomadic humanoids, generally believed to be the descendants of the Ceres expedition lost in 2084. This planet supports a number of other chrodate life forms, including the vicious Capellan power cat. Pop.: 4,100
Old November 17 2013, 04:54 AM   #26
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Wingsley wrote: View Post
CAPELLA [Alpha Aurigae] (11.1, 60.0, 4.6)This system contains four stars. Two of them are yellow stars forming a binary pair. They are orbited at a distance of 0.17 light-year by a binary pair of the other two stars, red dwarfs. The only inhabited planet in the system is the outermost of four orbiting the central yellow binary pair. A Class G desert world, Capella IV has a small population of nomadic humanoids, generally believed to be the descendants of the Ceres expedition lost in 2084. This planet supports a number of other chrodate life forms, including the vicious Capellan power cat. Pop.: 4,100
Wow, holy blow the dust off the memories! I remember the James Blish adaptation of Friday's Child referred to the planet as Ceres! It must be a carry-over from an earlier version of the script.

I like this one, too. The thing with Star Trek is there are only 79 episodes. I find that if one starts picking them apart on the basis of details, there will only be about three episodes that "pass muster". In that case, it'd be odd for one to consider ones' self a fan to begin with!
Old November 17 2013, 05:46 AM   #27
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^From the first draft.

http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/ar...dayschild2.htm

Sir Rhosis
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:51 AM   #28
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Unicron wrote: View Post
There was a later sequence that was filmed but cut, after our heros have helped Eileen escape.
Thanks, Unicron..neat read!
I only wish we could have heard Eleen say "Your noses are weak." It woulda been one of the classic lines of all Trek.
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:53 AM   #29
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Thank you, Sir Rhosis!

Interesting that Blish had that detail about the inhabitants being Earth descendants, though. That would probably have been a Trek first, having an Earth colony that actually survived!
Old November 17 2013, 05:56 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

But this is contradicted by McCoy's line that says Capellans are not human - there are some internal differences.

As for the episode itself: I liked it. Probably my favorite bit was where McCoy gets all Capellanly passive-aggressive and says "What Kras says is unimportant and we do not hear his words."
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote