Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 10 2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Andonagio
Commander

IT Crowd Season 1 Finale Question

I've been showing The IT Crowd to my fiancee, and we're coming up on the Season 1 finale soon. I remember from the last time I watched it that the season finale ends on a cliffhanger that is never resolved: season 2 just picks up with a new storyline as if the old one had never happened.

Does anybody know why the season 1 finale was never resolved? Also, anybody care to hazard a guess as to why there wasn't more fan protest over this decision? It seems to me that if a show in the US started a new season with complete disregard for the previous season's cliffhanger, fans would be taking to the streets (or at least the forums) in mass protest. Maybe it's a British thing?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 10 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: IT Crowd Season 1 Finale Question

They didn't know if they'd be making any further episodes so they went with whatever crazy ending they thought would be funny. It's completely dropped from that point on.
Old November 10 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Andonagio
Commander

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
They didn't know if they'd be making any further episodes so they went with whatever crazy ending they thought would be funny. It's completely dropped from that point on.
I can appreciate wanting to do a crazy ending under these circumstances. But still, why not follow through with it? Why not at least drop in a line of dialogue to suggest that the situation was resolved off-screen?

For that matter, how come there wasn't more protest from the fans? Most of the show's fans just seem to take this in stride and not talk about it much. Strange behavior, since most fans usually demand closure from their shows.
Old November 10 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think it just goes to the irreverent mindset of the show. We're not talking about a serialized novel here.
Old November 11 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The first series seemed to hint at a possible romance brewing between Roy and Jen, and I believe we were supposed to view the series finale in that light; we were supposed to think Roy and Jen had slept together, but they threw in the funny complication of Jen sleeping with Moss instead. When the show came back for a second series, Graham Linehan seemingly chose to drop any potential romantic storylines between the characters, so writing an episode focusing on the fallout of the series 1 finale would not only have been pointless, it just didn't interest him as a writer. Fans didn't complain because most agreed that romantic pairings between the group wasn't something the show should be doing.

Besides, the second series began with The Work Outing, one of the show's best episodes. Nobody was in the mood to complain after watching that.
Old November 13 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

To paraphrase Jen in the series finale, "things just keep getting worse and worse, and then we stop". Seems fairly typical of each episode, really. Continuity was hardly a priority in this show!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Australis
Writer

The concept is, "Let us never speak of this again". We've all been there, amirite?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote