Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 11 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Maybe they should’ve used the Borg for Nemesis

Some Trek fans went absolutely apeshit over seeing Khan twice in thirty-years. Imagine the venom of using the Borg twice in a three movie span.
Old November 11 2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Khan 2.0
Commander

wonder if there was outrage at using the klingons again and again in TOS movies? (and Generations)
i dont think there was - then again there wasnt any net to check, just the letters page of Starlog, Starburst and TOFC magazine
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Sran
Fleet Captain

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
wonder if there was outrage at using the klingons again and again in TOS movies? (and Generations)
Not that I recall. I think a key difference with the Klingons is that they were portrayed differently in each of their appearances. The Klingons in TMP were a blank slate, as we've only Mark Lenard's brief cameo from which to judge them before they were digitized by V'Ger (amazing that V'Ger pops up in this thread, too).

TSFS depicted the Klingon crew that went to Genesis as a group of rogues. We don't know that their actions were in keeping with their government's goals. Ambassador Kamarag made an impassioned plea on their behalf in his efforts to extradite Kirk in TVH, but it's clear his goal was the eventual indictment of Kirk by the Klingons for his crimes rather than vindication for Kruge and his men.

TFF again featured a rogue Klingon and his crew, but Klaa's motivation stemmed from his wanting to make a name for himself by defeating an accomplished adversary in combat. He stood down and apologized after Korrd called him out for his behavior.

TUC showed the Klingons on the brink of ruin and perhaps the extinction of their entire way of life (if not the species as a whole) because of an ecological disaster. Chancellor Gorkon had the courage to ask for Federation help amidst likely protests from his advisors, help that almost never came to fruition due to treasonous acts by people he trusted.

Generations featured the Duras sisters, known Federation antagonists ostracized from the Klingon Empire due to their attempted removal of Gowron from office.

FC introduced a new aspect of the Borg by introducing the Borg Queen, but as she appeared in Voyager several times (albeit played by a different actress for most of those appearances), it's not likely anything new could've been learned about the Borg by having them in another movie.

TUC did a lot to flesh out the Klingons and actually stands as my favorite portrayal of their people, as I find the constant rhetoric of honor and glory seen in TNG and DS9 to be old and tired.

--Sran
Old November 11 2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant

Sran wrote: View Post

My lasting memory of that person is a photo of him trying to explain something to Patrick Stewart, with the latter trying not to look mortified at how poorly the former understood whatever the scene was supposed to convey.
That would be awesome (in a sad-things-weren't-better way) to see.

One day there'll be something cool in this signature, but not yet. Not yet.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:08 AM   #20
Sran
Fleet Captain

^I think this is it.

--Sran
Old November 12 2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant

Sran wrote: View Post
^I think this is it.

--Sran
I think Stewart's face is less mortification and more "are you actually that dumb?".

One day there'll be something cool in this signature, but not yet. Not yet.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:27 AM   #22
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Wow, Baird's kind of looming over Stewart there...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:39 PM   #23
Khan 2.0
Commander

more Stu on Stew action:
http://1.fwcdn.pl/ph/17/63/31763/291604.1.jpg
Old January 5 2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Khan 2.0
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I was always surprised that they didn't work Q into the movies, given how popular the character was . . . .
i think Q couldve been worked into a borgified Nemesis somehow, as a sort of belated sequel/wrap up to QWho
Old January 5 2014, 07:50 PM   #25
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
The Romulans should have been the main antagonist. After nine movies, it was time to give them their due. But no, we get a clone. When ST09 was announced to have a Romulan villain, I was intrigued. But then Nero happened.
Nero, and the stupid Remans, yes, absolutely.

ROMULUS FOR ROMULANS!
Old January 5 2014, 08:08 PM   #26
Armored Saint
Captain

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
The klingons were used as the main villains multiple times for TOS films.
Climax: Picard is running for his life....he's pretty sure he's gonna die...he's at the top of a mountain...and what does he see? A CUBE! He doesn't know that Data is on board and to save him. Please, Captain. Not in front of the Borg.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 01:00 AM   #27
Khan 2.0
Commander

the poster that wouldve been in cinemas in 2002:

http://media.ideaanddesignworks.com/...ve_01_CvrA.jpg
Old February 13 2014, 01:09 AM   #28
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

If the Borg were involved in Nemesis, Janeway would have had a bigger role.
Old February 13 2014, 01:16 AM   #29
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The Romulans were the TNG cast's most frequently seen recurring villain. For them to be the "nemesis" was entirely appropriate. Or would have been, at any rate.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 05:56 PM   #30
TheSubCommander
Captain

My stance on Nemesis has softened considerably over the years. It is a flawed film, sure, but every time it comes on TV, I can't NOT watch the rest of it, no matter what point I start.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
The Romulans should have been the main antagonist. After nine movies, it was time to give them their due. But no, we get a clone. When ST09 was announced to have a Romulan villain, I was intrigued. But then Nero happened.
Agreed.

I would have been more happy if rather than Nero, we had Sela making a coup d'etat. heck, I wouldn't have minded if it were with the help from the Remans: IE after her failure in Reunification SELA was sent to the mines of Remus. In the Series, next to Q and Daimon Bok, Sela was really the closest thing Picard had to a Nemesis.

Also, I would have liked it better if they were insistent on having a brother for Data, that they used Lore. I mean we know he was deactivated, but it was never stated his body was destroyed. Lore's body could have been covertly stolen by the Romulans with the intent to replace Data, instead of a clone to replace Picard. Maybe "B4" could have been revealed to be Lore, playing dumb or just reprogrammed by the Romulans which caused the slowness...but with Data's memory download, it changed Lore, finally over-ridding his narcissistic impulses, and where through Data's death, he finally is redeemed?
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote