RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,560
Posts: 5,423,069
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 470
Newest member: Dobian

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 23 2013, 03:51 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain
 
The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Who is the most evil individual to appear in the entire Star Trek franchise? What was the most evil regime in entire Star Trek franchise?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Fred Freiberger. Gulf & Western.
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

You would think by definition, Armus was....but as Picard said, he was just weak.

I dunno. Trek humanizes their villains so much...I don't want to pick an individual just by their actions, like say the Female Changeling. I can't think of any major characters who were mustasche twirlers with no redeeming qualities. I suppose any Nazi stand-in Cardassian doctors or 'commandants' would be my answer.

As for regime, Mirror Universe Empire.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:28 AM   #4
HaplessCrewman
Commander
 
HaplessCrewman's Avatar
 
Location: Office of Scientific Intelligence
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

I'd say Kivas Fajo from TNG's The Most Toys was pretty despicable.
__________________
Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster.
HaplessCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Namikaze
Lieutenant
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
I'd say Kivas Fajo from TNG's The Most Toys was pretty despicable.
I second the vote for Kivas Fajo, his evil was not drastic, nor could it be measured by any means on a grand scale, but it certainly stemmed from the seven deadly sins. And it was driven by nothing more than greed and vanity.

Also, I like Saul Rubinek, the actor that portrayed Kivas.

As far as my favorite villain, I'd have to say it would be Gul Dukat, I wouldn't say that he is particularly evil, but he is the most developed villain in my opinion within the franchise. He had a good character arc throughout the series and what made him a good villain was that you could sympathize with him to some extent and that he was likable.

A likable villain is more dangerous to me.

Thoughts?
Namikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Melakon wrote: View Post
Fred Freiberger. Gulf & Western.
hahaha....
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:10 AM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

J. J. Abrams and the Bad Robot regime.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Who is the most evil individual to appear in the entire Star Trek franchise? What was the most evil regime in entire Star Trek franchise?
The borg, for both questions.
It is an individual consciousness and its main pastime is committing genocide on a galactic scale.

Of course, the borg does have serious competition: the klingons (ruthless conquest types, killing being their national sport), romulans (manifest destiny conquest types, plus having no problem committing genocide - see Nemesis), cardassians (again, manifest destiny types, industrial scale oppressors - see Bajor for an example), dominion (see the Quickening, their actions in the alpha quadrant from trying to blow up Bajor's sun to what they did to the cardassians, etc).

In fact, all the neighbours of the federation are so nightmarish, they would make almost any empire in history look like the good guy.
Indeed, they're so xenophobic and amoral that it's a wonder the federation even came to be (indeed, without the writers helping it along, the federation would have been destroyed in the cradle).
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Namikaze wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
I'd say Kivas Fajo from TNG's The Most Toys was pretty despicable.
I second the vote for Kivas Fajo, his evil was not drastic, nor could it be measured by any means on a grand scale, but it certainly stemmed from the seven deadly sins. And it was driven by nothing more than greed and vanity.
You know, his was the first name to enter my mind too.

He did not have nearly the scope and scale of many Trek villains, but his malice was pure. There was nothing redeeming or complex about him at all. He just wanted what he wanted, and everyone else was either a possession or a barrier.

As for an evil regime, how about the Sphere Builders?
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

The Borg aren't evil. Evil implies immorality but the Borg have no concept of morality at all. They aren't any more evil, than say, a swarm of wasps. They'll kill you if you're a threat but it's instinctual.

To me the most evil characters are the ones that recognize that they are behaving immorally but disregard it because to do otherwise would hinder their objective (emotional need).

By this measure the most "evil" villains are people like Khan and Soran.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

1001001 wrote: View Post
Namikaze wrote: View Post
HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
I'd say Kivas Fajo from TNG's The Most Toys was pretty despicable.
I second the vote for Kivas Fajo, his evil was not drastic, nor could it be measured by any means on a grand scale, but it certainly stemmed from the seven deadly sins. And it was driven by nothing more than greed and vanity.
You know, his was the first name to enter my mind too.

He did not have nearly the scope and scale of many Trek villains, but his malice was pure. There was nothing redeeming or complex about him at all. He just wanted what he wanted, and everyone else was either a possession or a barrier.

As for an evil regime, how about the Sphere Builders?
In the same 'area of evil' as Kivas...The Plato's Stepchildren race are similar. Worse probably. Kivas seemed to have only *just* reached the level of boredom that he would kill to see what it was like.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
The Borg aren't evil. Evil implies immorality but the Borg have no concept of morality at all. They aren't any more evil, than say, a swarm of wasps. They'll kill you if you're a threat but it's instinctual.

To me the most evil characters are the ones that recognize that they are behaving immorally but disregard it because their objective is more important to them.
The borg is self-aware, understanding the difference between good and evil just fine (it assimilated enough beings for this). It just doesn't care about this.
This makes the borg sociopathic aka evil.

A swarm of wasps doesn't, indeed, can't grasp concepts such as good and evil.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Who is the most evil individual to appear in the entire Star Trek franchise? What was the most evil regime in entire Star Trek franchise?
The borg, for both questions.
It is an individual consciousness and its main pastime is committing genocide on a galactic scale.

Of course, the borg does have serious competition: the klingons (ruthless conquest types, killing being their national sport), romulans (manifest destiny conquest types, plus having no problem committing genocide - see Nemesis), cardassians (again, manifest destiny types, industrial scale oppressors - see Bajor for an example), dominion (see the Quickening, their actions in the alpha quadrant from trying to blow up Bajor's sun to what they did to the cardassians, etc).

In fact, all the neighbours of the federation are so nightmarish, they would make almost any empire in history look like the good guy.
Indeed, they're so xenophobic and amoral that it's a wonder the federation even came to be (indeed, without the writers helping it along, the federation would have been destroyed in the cradle).
Borg: As someone else pointed out, they're either like wasps (locusts really/the initial idea of them) or they genuinely believe they're bringing order to the galaxy.

Romulans: Actually, the desire not be remembered by history as the guys who wiped out everyone on Earth is exactly why they turn on Shinzon.

Cardassians: Once a rich, spiritual people.

Dominion: They aren't evil, they're just very ruthless.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
J. J. Abrams and the Bad Robot regime.
Well, that didn't take long . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: The most evil individual and most evil regime in Star Trek

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Who is the most evil individual to appear in the entire Star Trek franchise? What was the most evil regime in entire Star Trek franchise?
The borg, for both questions.
It is an individual consciousness and its main pastime is committing genocide on a galactic scale.

Of course, the borg does have serious competition: the klingons (ruthless conquest types, killing being their national sport), romulans (manifest destiny conquest types, plus having no problem committing genocide - see Nemesis), cardassians (again, manifest destiny types, industrial scale oppressors - see Bajor for an example), dominion (see the Quickening, their actions in the alpha quadrant from trying to blow up Bajor's sun to what they did to the cardassians, etc).

In fact, all the neighbours of the federation are so nightmarish, they would make almost any empire in history look like the good guy.
Indeed, they're so xenophobic and amoral that it's a wonder the federation even came to be (indeed, without the writers helping it along, the federation would have been destroyed in the cradle).
Borg: As someone else pointed out, they're either like wasps (locusts really/the initial idea of them) or they genuinely believe they're bringing order to the galaxy.
Actually, what they genuinely believe is that they can suck the galaxy dry (as in, exterminating/etc), improving themselves.
Already responded to the inaccurate wasps/force of nature analogy.

Romulans: Actually, the desire not be remembered by history as the guys who wiped out everyone on Earth is exactly why they turn on Shinzon.
Actually, the military supported Shinzon in killing the rest of the senate (that's high treason - Himalayas high) because he could sterilize Earth and promised to do so.
Afterwards, 2 whole ships helped Picard - out of thousands. And this, only after Shinzon made clear to the top military/remaining senator his contempt and how little he's controlled by them.

Cardassians: Once a rich, spiritual people.
Nowadays, they run a conquest fuelled empire complete with genocide and concentration camps.
They were more than happy to run to the dominion, after being promised a piece of the alpha/beta quadrant pie.

Dominion: They aren't evil, they're just very ruthless.
Sure - genocide, attempted genocide, using biological weaponry on a defeated species in order to make a point, etc.
They're misunderstood angels.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.