Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 8 2013, 10:59 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Bring back David McIntee (LoneMagpie)

Paris wrote: View Post
I'm a huge fan of Lonemagpie's IFM. I can't point to a single other author who did Geordi quite so well since the days of TNG. No offence to the other authors who've tackled him, but McIntee was my favorite. When I heard that it took place on the Challenger, i was really hoping that this would be Geordi/Barclay/Ogawa/Scotty/Nog's new status quo. Challenger could be the home of new SCE stories...or the Challenger could have missions like Aventine and show up now and then in other books...
I had to same thought as I read the book. I'm pretty sure other people have said this too.
Old November 9 2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Relayer1
Commodore

I'd say yes to an SCE relaunch, Lonemagpie's return AND giving it to him to write.

Geordie and Nog are needed elsewhere though...
Old November 11 2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I really enjoyed IFM and even though David Mack was told to ignore it for the Cold Equations trilogy, I still include it in my personal continuity.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:05 PM   #19
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

IFM was one of the best Trek novels i've ever read and that is a FACT
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:33 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Cap'n Crunch wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed IFM and even though David Mack was told to ignore it for the Cold Equations trilogy, I still include it in my personal continuity.
You know, I'm not sure that's what he was actually told. As I recall it, what he said was that he asked about IFM putting Geordi back with Leah Brahms and whether he needed to change his plans to advance Geordi's relationship with Tamala Harstad, and he was told not to worry about what IFM did and just proceed with his plans. I'm not sure that meant "The whole book is out of continuity" so much as "Just don't bother to explain what happened to Leah."

As it happens, I was the one who first informed Dave about the Geordi/Leah thing. He was telling me about his plans for Cold Equations, and when he mentioned his intention to advance Geordi/Tamala, I pointed out that IFM had brought Leah back into Geordi's life, which he wasn't aware of at the time. He was concerned about the prospect of having to rework that subplot, since writing a trilogy is very demanding work and he was already under a very tight deadline, and having to go back and change things would be an added burden. So I'm thinking maybe he was just told "don't worry about it" as a way of sparing him extra work when he was already under a lot of pressure. I'm not sure it was meant to be anything more than that. I think that when fans heard that Dave had been told to disregard the Leah issue, they jumped to the conclusion that it meant the whole book was out of continuity. But I'm not convinced that's actually the case.

Then again, there's still the continuity issue about Ogawa's presence in the Titan novels as a nurse vs. her presence in IFM as a doctor. After all, Fallen Gods is in November 2382 with Ogawa aboard Titan as a nurse, while IFM begins in January '83 with Ogawa serving aboard Challenger as its doctor, said to have "joined us from Titan some time ago." I'm not sure it's possible to reconcile the timing of that, even if you can rationalize someone going from a nurse to a doctor so quickly. I guess we'll get an answer when The Poisoned Chalice comes out shortly -- will Ogawa still be on Titan as a nurse or not?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Well the Ogawa thing was okay, in that she says as much in IFM that her being made an MD was a formality: Starfleet's medical training policies during the Dominion War made MD training and advanced nursing programs interchangeable. Presumably Ogawa had something like an MSN plus even a DNP equivalent as head nurse of the Enterprise-E and Titan. If she also had accreditation for stuff like as a nurse practitioner or the like, I can see how it might be possible. Not entirely plausible, mind you, but by the time of IFM she's been a nurse on a frontline starship for 20 years. That's long enough to have gone through some advanced nursing degree programs, which, during wartime, might have also been similar to a medical residency.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, but as I said, it's the timing issue that's the problem. Titan is way out on the frontier, so by all rights it should take more than two months just to return to Federation space.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:01 AM   #23
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I'm wondering if The Poisoned Chalice will have a similar issue. We know that the President Pro Tempore is only meant to serve 60 days while a new election is convened. If Titan is way out in the frontier (and has been for the last 3-4 years) how does Akaar recall her in time to ferret out Ashan's secrets before the election's over?

And there's also the whole "Reg Barclay was beamed from the Delta Quadrant back to serve on Challenger" thing, so maybe they just super duper subspace beamed Alissa and Noah back to Federation space.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Lonemagpie
Writer

Of course, it's Pocket you want to tell about wanting me back...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 12:57 AM   #25
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

I have to agree with all the praise for David's work in IFM, it was a solid damn book that added a lot to both the ENT and TNG eras. Edicts be damned, as far as I'm concerned, IFM's as canon as all other Treklit titles, and as other have stated, the inconsistencies are easily explainable.

And a "hear, hear" to Trek needing more McIntee.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #26
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Have you tried pitching some outlines to Pocket? I'm sure you can get fellow Trek writers to vouch for you..

Side Note: You guys should friend him on Facebook.He posts frequently there.

David, don't you love your fans
Old November 18 2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Lonemagpie
Writer

Man of Steel wrote: View Post
Have you tried pitching some outlines to Pocket? I'm sure you can get fellow Trek writers to vouch for you..
Not this year - they doubtless have enough existing pitches on file.

Side Note: You guys should friend him on Facebook.He posts frequently there.

David, don't you love your fans
Yep.

Looking at my my Facebook friends list, I think a lot of people from here are also there!

You can follow me on Dreamwidth or Livejournal (username lonemagpie) and Tumblr (originallonemagpie.tumblr.com) as well.

Old November 20 2013, 01:46 PM   #28
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I guess we'll get an answer when The Poisoned Chalice comes out shortly -- will Ogawa still be on Titan as a nurse or not?
Or I can just tell folks now; in all honesty, I ducked the issue by not mentioning her at all.

And for the record; The Poisoned Chalice contains a small but direct reference to the events of Dave's Indistinguishable From Magic.
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 04:26 PM   #29
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

[QUOTE=Lonemagpie;8906929]
Not this year - they doubtless have enough existing pitches on file.

Possibly but if you tried well, who knows you might be writing your next Trek book in no time.. (I'm sure there's a sequel you have in mind for IFM)
Old November 20 2013, 04:34 PM   #30
Lonemagpie
Writer

(I'm sure there's a sequel you have in mind for IFM)
There is, but I'm not sure it would fit at the moment.

And there are a couple of other outlines that I previously pitched which I'm much keener on doing first, and would make better standalones.