Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 5 4.59%
A 31 28.44%
A- 24 22.02%
B+ 21 19.27%
B 12 11.01%
B- 9 8.26%
C+ 7 6.42%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 31 2014, 02:29 AM   #196
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm pinning hopes on a second Hulk solo film coming off AoU.
I don't think there's room in phase 3 given the latest info:

2015 Ant-Man
May 6, 2016
July 8, 2016
May 5, 2017

It appears those movies will be Dr Strange, Thor 3, and Captain America 3. After that is probably Avengers 3. At least that's the pattern.
Old January 31 2014, 04:13 AM   #197
Mr Light
Admiral

I think Hulk works best in an ensemble; he's not interesting enough to hold his own movie. And his villains are pretty bad. It would be different if they did "The Professor" Hulk or "Mister Fix It", but they can't afford to have the entire movie starring a CGI monster.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:27 AM   #198
Alidar Jarok

Hulk managed an entire tv show, how come he can't make as good movie?

ETA: I kind of want to create a Hulk movie version of the Fugitive. Essentially, there's some kind of destruction that SHIELD blames in Banner and sends Clay Quartermain to stop him. Meanwhile, Banner investigates and tries to prove his innocence while staying calm. Finally, they figure it out and Hulk defeats the bad guy.

Not sure how to make the movie about the environment like Rufallo wants, though.
Old January 31 2014, 05:40 AM   #199
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
If we do get a Black Widow movie I'd rather not have an origin story but one set in the world of post-Avengers.
Don't forget the meek biochemist SHIELD agent she's forced to bring along, who then becomes her love interest, played by Naya Rivera.

But yeah, we need a Romanov origin movie like we needed one for Jim Howlett.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:42 AM   #200
Alidar Jarok

They could do flashbacks if they want an origin story. More interesting from a movie perspective is when she met Hawkeye.
Old February 1 2014, 01:47 AM   #201
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I know Alidor is right, that Phase 3 is pretty much spoken for, it's just a pipe dream is all as a big Hulk fan.

There is no reason they can't choose a story where Banner, aka Mark Ruffalo, has plenty to do as well as Hulk. Marvel Studios had a speaking GGI Abomination and are about to have a speaking Raccoon and Tree so they can do it, they've just chosen not to for some reason. A movie where Hulk is given some increased screen time to be an interactive, speaking character as he is in the comics and cartoons is all Hulk fans are asking. I'd settle for 80/20(hulk) cause as of now Hulk isn't getting 10% screen time, let alone speaking time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:00 AM   #202
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Thor Dark World past it's last "big" benchmark this weekend as it crossed $205m domestic and has a global total of $638m.
Both are awesome increases over the prior installment.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 10:15 PM   #203
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I was just watching Thor 2 and was hoping someone more clued up than I could explain the whole "infinity stones" thing to me.

My knowledge of Marvel's cosmic stuff if pretty much limited to whatever I can recall from the old 90's cartoons. I'm a little confused as I thought the tesseract was a stand-in for the cosmic cube, which I gather is something else entirely. Also wasn't there an M'Krann (sp?) crystal that has something to do with the Phoenix? Is that one of the six?

Does Galactus & the Silver Surfer figure at all in all of this? What about the Skrull, Kree and Shi'ar? Are they outside the nine realms, or a part of them?
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 10:49 PM   #204
JD
Admiral

Most of what I know comes from wiki research, but I was under the impression that the different realms were different universes (at least in the comics), so anything in the same universe as our Earth would be part of Midgard. I could be mistaken though.
Old March 2 2014, 10:49 PM   #205
Alidar Jarok

Cosmic Cube was never said once in any of the movies and the Tesseract never behaved like it. While fans assumed it was and called it that, it's likely the Space Gem (Space Stone in the movie). It fits its powers much better. I think the Ether is supposed to be the Power Gem.

The Infinity Gems are most famously associated with Thanos.

ETA: Yeah, the Nine Realms seem to be more parallel universes than planets, although it's not clearly explained and that's not an easy fit either. But there's plenty of space aside from the Nine Realms and I think it's generally considered part of "Earth/Midgard"
Old March 2 2014, 10:59 PM   #206
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The afterword in Thor, where Siff and Vostag met the collector, said that the tesseract was a gem/stone, and there was no vaguity about the Aether being a "gem".

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 11:58 PM   #207
Reverend
Rear Admiral

OK, so the Cosmic Cube has nothing to do with the infinity stones? So what is it anyway? I've heard it mentioned often and it apparently has something to do with Marvel's cosmic mythos. What about the M'Krann? Is that something else too?

RE: Yggdrasil. From the way it's portrayed in the films, it appears to by a physical structure in this universe. Indeed it seems like it's supposed to be THE physical structure of the universe. The way I read the significance of the "nine realms" is that they're terminus points for a network of wormholes that span the cosmos, with Earth/Sol/Midgard as the central nexus. I don't quite get how planets located at opposite ends of the universe could possibly orbit Earth in a mere 5000 years...but that's comic book logic for you.

Clearly from the post-credits Collector cameo and the 'Guardians' trailer there's more out there than just the nine realms, I'm just curious if they've ever gotten into how it all relates. Are the Kree, Skrull and Shi'ar native to our end of space, or are any of them closer to one of the other realms? What about the Nova Guard? Is there any overlap at all?

I'm also not clear on the logic of how/why Asguard got to be ruler of the nine realms if Earth is the one at the centre. Mind you Asgard doesn't even appear to be a planet so much as an artificial habitat, so I have no idea what's going on there.

Last edited by Reverend; March 3 2014 at 12:10 AM.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:15 AM   #208
Alidar Jarok

All those things you mentioned are not infinity gems.

Just because there are more planets doesn't mean there are more than nine realms. I would argue that everything outside the Thor universe is in Midgard. Asgard is described in the Marvel wiki as a pocket universe.
Old March 3 2014, 12:34 AM   #209
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

JD wrote: View Post
If they were to do a Black Widow film, I would be happiest if it was mostly set post-Avengers, or Posu AoU, but tied into her origin story somehow. That way we could both move her story forward, but at the same time still get an origin story, or at least more backstory for her.
I agree. Although, I think a prequel would still work. From the information that we got in The Avengers, it certainly sounds like there's a strong redemption arc for the character in her backstory.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Here it had the feel of "hey, remember that thing audiences liked in the first movie? Yeah, let's do a shit ton more of it!" It started out fine, but after awhile it got annoying.
People liked the "comedy" of the first movie? I thought is pretty widely seen as one of the "worst" parts of the movie. Hell, to paraphrase Kevin Murphy from the "Rifftrax" of the movie when Thor is hit, again, by Jane's van and seemingly knocked out (for the third time in the movie): "Again?! At this point why don't they just put a pair of sunglasses on him and carry him around like in Weekend at Bernie's?"
I really liked the comedy of the first Thor. That's a big part of why it's my favorite Marvel Studios movie so far.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The more I think about, the more I have a problem with Loki's character arc. By the end of the film, he has seen how Thor and Odin truly felt about him. But he keeps on scheming, lying to Thor and whatever he did to Odin.

So any redeemable qualities are gone now. By the end of the film, he turned into a pure bad guy.
I dunno. While he's a bad guy and always will be, I can still see where he's coming from.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Cause Frigga had died also and was sent off to Valhalla.
Which is just down the river...

As a die hard Lost Girl fan, the only advice I can give you is to stay the hell away from the Norn's forest. She will mess you up!
Old March 3 2014, 12:43 AM   #210
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Circling around the world tree.

A perfect cube made from a forcefield which is kinda indestructible (depending on it's powersource, which after it is fulled up by the extradimensional energy is an infinite power source.) by some scientist type, and is then used to capture a jet of fantastically powerful extra dimensional energy which pierces our universe at predictable intervals. (Not the same energy jet over and over, just a similar phenomenon like water faithfully spurting out of a geyser.)

The cube is a wishing machine.

Depending on how good you are at wishing, depends on how good you make out, before it all goes bad.

Here's where it gets icky.

This jet of extradimensional energy is actually a baby.

A stupid baby who is growing up, learning, and the cube is an egg, that will eventually break out of and become a sentient all powerful entity, like the Shaper of Worlds.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Shaper_of_Worlds_(Earth-616)

(There have been other Cube babies, and there have been contested stories saying that the Beyonder who started the first Secret War was a screwed up Cube Baby.)

And that's all you need to know about Cosmic Cubes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote