RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 671
Newest member: Zitt

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 30 2014, 01:44 AM   #1
Jsplinis
Lieutenant

Unspoken Truths iBook price

Does anybody know why the iBook version of Unspoken Truths is priced 18.99? That seems a little high.
Jsplinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 01:31 PM   #2
tomswift2002
Captain

Re: Unspoken Truths iBook price

It's been reprinted as a Trade Paperback. Although the Kobo version is still priced at $9.99(CAD).
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:56 PM   #3
2of1million
Captain

Good thing I still have my mass market p-back.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Fer
Commander

It's $18.21 on Kobo US.

Wasn't this already released as an ebook when the MMPB came out? Does this mean they raise the prices of the eBooks when they go to print-on-demand TP? Or is this the first time this title has been available as an eBook?

I can understand paying more if you want a print copy after the original release has gone out of print, but I don't see why that should affect the eBook price.
Old March 31 2014, 01:34 PM   #5
tomswift2002
Captain

Both Chapters and Kobo Canada are listing it for $9.99. But the e-book prices are usually set to whatever the physical copies are priced at. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian Kobo version eventually jumped up to $28.99 which is currently the price for the trade in Canada. (Even Amazon.ca is showing $9.99 for the Kindle version, and the Canadian iTunes is showing $9.99 for the iBook version.)
Old April 1 2014, 04:34 AM   #6
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Fer wrote: View Post
Wasn't this already released as an ebook when the MMPB came out? Does this mean they raise the prices of the eBooks when they go to print-on-demand TP?
Yes, S&S has been raising the books' price to match the POD version.

I can understand paying more if you want a print copy after the original release has gone out of print, but I don't see why that should affect the eBook price.
My guess is that they automatically peg the ebook prices to the lowest print version. This way, when they raise the price on an MMPB due to inflation after it's been out for years, the ebook price stays in lockstep. But these odd POD versions seem to throw that (proposed) algorithm out of whack.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:10 PM   #7
tomswift2002
Captain

Not to mention that apparently the higher price, at this point, is only affecting US consumers.
Old April 2 2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Fer
Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Wasn't this already released as an ebook when the MMPB came out? Does this mean they raise the prices of the eBooks when they go to print-on-demand TP?
Yes, S&S has been raising the books' price to match the POD version.

My guess is that they automatically peg the ebook prices to the lowest print version. This way, when they raise the price on an MMPB due to inflation after it's been out for years, the ebook price stays in lockstep. But these odd POD versions seem to throw that (proposed) algorithm out of whack.
Thanks, that reasoning at least makes sense to me. I'll go along with that possibility.