RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 682
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 9 2013, 05:41 AM   #61
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Re: Things you got "wrong"

The Lensman wrote: View Post
I was a 70's kid who watched Trek on UHF channels, and since I lived on the edge of the country, there was usually t.v. snow when watching so it was hard to make out anything in great detail. Sometimes the show would fade in and out...
My current avatar tries to capture those days (it's also the very first Star Trek scene I ever saw...except it was in glorious black-and-white! ).
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:07 AM   #62
Melakon
Rear Admiral

The first Star Trek sequence I ever saw had Kirk pulling that phallic stalactite from the ceiling and holding it at waist level. When you're 15 at the time, it's something you never forget.
Old November 9 2013, 06:18 AM   #63
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
(Actually, that's a mistake made in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. We see a stewardess walk 180 degrees around a circular hallway to enter the cockpit of the moon shuttle. External shots of the model show the viewports on the top of the craft, suggesting the pilots lay on their backs, as with all real rocket designs. So the stewardess should have walked up the wall and into the cockpit.)
To jump off-topic for a minute, the whole "simulating walking in weightlessness" thing, whether it's done with magnetic boots or Velcro, is slow, silly and unnecessary. How do real-life astronauts aboard the ISS get from one part of the station to another? They just give a gentle push against a bulkhead and float over to where they want to go. Much more practical.
Old November 9 2013, 08:50 AM   #64
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
The first Star Trek sequence I ever saw had Kirk pulling that phallic stalactite from the ceiling and holding it at waist level. When you're 15 at the time, it's something you never forget.
The penis rock is something you never forget.
Old November 9 2013, 10:08 AM   #65
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I was in kindergarten when my parents brought home Star Trek V from the video rental store (VHS or Betamax? That part I can't remember). I was instantly hooked on Star Trek and the Enterprise, but for the longest time, I thought the saucer attached itself to the neck at the saucer's very center. So I drew the Starship Enterprise in all her glory, but it looked like the secondary hull was spinning a dish on a wide stick. It took me quite a while (to watch the movie more times) before I realized that the neck connected to the end of the saucer.
Old November 9 2013, 10:50 AM   #66
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
The penis rock is something you never forget.
If Shatner had been able to have the Rock Creature in Star Trek V, perhaps the costume would have included an exact duplicate of the rock penis.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:40 PM   #67
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

(Actually, that's a mistake made in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. We see a stewardess walk 180 degrees around a circular hallway to enter the cockpit of the moon shuttle. External shots of the model show the viewports on the top of the craft, suggesting the pilots lay on their backs, as with all real rocket designs. So the stewardess should have walked up the wall and into the cockpit.)
It's the external shots that are the goof. We see the windows face directly outward when the shuttle is flying in space, but when it approaches the moon, the windows now face to the side (the shuttle's rockets are pointed down, and yet the crew can still look out and see the moon. They should have only been able to see empty space).

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:29 AM   #68
Green Shirt
Commodore

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
I always thought that the phasers fired out of the big glowy dome on the bottom of the primary hull. And wondered why they never fired from the top glowy dome.
And that is the reason I thought the bridge was at the bottom of the saucer when I was a kid.
Old November 12 2013, 12:37 PM   #69
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

When I first started watching TNG I thought Okona, from "The Outrageous Okona" somehow became the first officer to the Enterprise.

I thought Picard must have asked him to leave his ship and accept an offer to be his first officer.

It made no sense, but they kind of looked alike, so I thought that must have happened.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:59 PM   #70
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

he actually auditioned for Riker (the actor did)
Old November 12 2013, 03:54 PM   #71
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
It's the external shots that are the goof. We see the windows face directly outward when the shuttle is flying in space, but when it approaches the moon, the windows now face to the side (the shuttle's rockets are pointed down, and yet the crew can still look out and see the moon. They should have only been able to see empty space).
Not entirely sure what you mean, but there are two sets of windows. The cockpit windows are pointed "up" (relative to a landed position) so the crew would be on their back when they landed, and the passenger windows are pointed outward around the "waistband" of the ship, so passengers will be sitting upright when landed.

If you meant that the cockpit crew could see the moon's surface when they were about to land, then yeah, that would be a goof.

ETA:
Just found these screencaps. They're presented in order, so seeing the moon's surface out the window in the second one is a goof.
http://screenmusings.org/2001ASpaceO...001ASO_083.htm
http://screenmusings.org/2001ASpaceO...001ASO_084.htm
Old November 12 2013, 07:03 PM   #72
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had several misconceptions when I was younger:

I thought the "Deflector Dish" was the entire saucer section.

I thought that the Defiant's pulse phasers were actually mini photon torpedo launchers.

And, I thought 7 of 9 was the Borg Queen.

Youth...
NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 10:07 PM   #73
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

B.J. wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Not entirely sure what you mean, but there are two sets of windows. The cockpit windows are pointed "up" (relative to a landed position) so the crew would be on their back when they landed, and the passenger windows are pointed outward around the "waistband" of the ship, so passengers will be sitting upright when landed.

If you meant that the cockpit crew could see the moon's surface when they were about to land, then yeah, that would be a goof.
I wasn't referring to the passenger windows. I meant the COCKPIT windows.

But the screencaps you gave, are accurate.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 10:30 PM   #74
Green Shirt
Commodore

NeedleOfInquiry wrote: View Post
Youth...

I miss being young.
Old November 13 2013, 10:13 PM   #75
-SS-
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to -SS-

I had the Star Trek Technical Manual long before I saw many TOS episodes, so I always assumed the book was accurate. Then later when I watched more of the show I would see inconsistencies and think "Hey, they goofed! That's not how it is in the Manual!"