Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 8 2013, 09:56 AM   #46
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: Things you got "wrong"

This is kind of embarrassing.

Generations was the first Star Trek movie that I saw. I watched it shortly after it was out on video. It was also one of the first Star Trek productions I watched, period. So I wasn't very familiar with the casts yet. I knew Kirk and Spock, but that was pretty much it.

Anyway, at the beginning of Generations I thought that Chekov was Sulu and that he was introducing his own daughter to Kirk. I think it might have been because Chekov, for some reason, had intimate knowledge of when Kirk last saw Demora. I still think that was weird.
Toxteth O´Grady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:01 AM   #47
scotpens
Vice Admiral

When Star Trek debuted in 1966, most of the cast was unfamiliar to me. I thought Leonard Nimoy's name was stressed on the second syllable (nih-MOY) and George Takei's name sounded something like "tacky."
Old November 8 2013, 10:09 AM   #48
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
^ ... which is?
I was hoping you guys would "get" it, but

In Star Trek 2 and 3, Spock's casket is a torpedo that says Mark IV.

So, as a kid, I though his name was Mark...
Old November 8 2013, 10:23 AM   #49
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Heh, cool.
Old November 8 2013, 10:45 AM   #50
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I was puzzled by this during that whole era...
Old November 8 2013, 11:38 AM   #51
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

In the episode The Changling, when Nomad became confused and said "error error," I though it was saying "air air."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 11:45 AM   #52
Csalem
Commodore

This is more about my ignorance of TV production than Trek but on TNG I used to think every new room on the ship was a new set and there was a vast set for the Enterprise on the Paramount lot. Only later did I realise they reused the same sets again and again for different parts of the ships. I used to believe the turbolifits worked too. Oh to be young again...
Old November 8 2013, 12:16 PM   #53
Metryq
Captain

The bridge really faces downward, since the artificial gravity can be oriented any way the designers wanted. The turbolift makes a 90 degree turn as it comes up. (Actually, that's a mistake made in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. We see a stewardess walk 180 degrees around a circular hallway to enter the cockpit of the moon shuttle. External shots of the model show the viewports on the top of the craft, suggesting the pilots lay on their backs, as with all real rocket designs. So the stewardess should have walked up the wall and into the cockpit.)

Maybe the botanical garden in the movie Enterprise was green, or the lavender color of "grow lights," but the color did not carry through to the movie screen. After all, the TOS command shirts were a green-gold. Television has never been known for its color integrity. (TV engineers jokingly say that NTSC stands for "never the same color." However, the material of those shirts was partly responsible for the color ambiguity.)

So what technical detail did I get wrong? I thought the silver control near the barrel of the phaser 2 was symmetrical. I can't remember when it was finally brought to my attention, but even in the series it is evident that the control is only on the left side of the weapon. I guess one of the side effects of the Eugenics War was the elimination of left-handedness. Sorry, Mr. Flanders.
Old November 8 2013, 02:36 PM   #54
J.T.B.
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
I thought the silver control near the barrel of the phaser 2 was symmetrical. I can't remember when it was finally brought to my attention, but even in the series it is evident that the control is only on the left side of the weapon. I guess one of the side effects of the Eugenics War was the elimination of left-handedness. Sorry, Mr. Flanders.
Well, in the British Army everyone has to learn to shoot right-handed, because their bullpup-type L85 rifle will eject its shell casings right in a lefty's face.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 02:38 PM   #55
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Actually, if you look closely at that image you'll see the viewscreen isn't facing the ship's centerline there either.
Which is, of course, because the roto-matte composite shot from "The Cage" couldn't be precisely aligned due to the technical limitations of optical FX at the time.
The point is that it's never been shown to be precisely aligned with the ship's centerline, so it's not a canon issue.
My "canon" comment was to just stir the pot.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 03:40 PM   #56
Richard Baker
Commander

In TOS I did think the Mk1 Phaser was fired by pressing down of the top of it on that raised section below the silver plate. It was not until MUCH later I found out the raised thing was a sighting viewer and the real firing button was a small nub underneath.

I still to this day cannot figure out how the TOS Tricorder is supposed to be operated with three lights and three knob/buttons- no matter what exotic thing you want it to scan for it is just a tap/twist away...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:40 PM   #57
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I used to think that the Menagerie was a 100% "new" episode and Jeff Hunter played the crippled Pike.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 01:27 AM   #58
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I still to this day cannot figure out how the TOS Tricorder is supposed to be operated with three lights and three knob/buttons- no matter what exotic thing you want it to scan for it is just a tap/twist away...
Maybe the screen is a touch screen?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 01:51 AM   #59
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
It runs on the three seashell principle.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #60
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

When i was a little child my older brother would watch Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country a couple times a week. I would sit in the room and watch the films but not really pay attention or understand what was happening and so i had a fairly jumbled idea of the plot. In fact the three movies tended to blend into one in my mind so it wasnt til i was a little older that i started to wonder why Khan and his crew didnt have forehead ridges like the other klingons.

Eventually i caught the episode Space Seed on tv back when they were reshowing TOS and also rewatched Wrath of Khan and discovered they were genetically enhanced supermen and not klingons. Needless to say Wrath of Khan and the following movies made a lot more sense after that.