TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 7 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Re: Things you got "wrong"

BillJ wrote: View Post
When I was very, very little I thought the bridge took up the entire saucer.
So did I.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I worried about a fly getting into the tranporter room . . . .
Old November 7 2013, 05:37 PM   #18
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I always had trouble figuring out where the TOS Main Engineering set was supposed to be located. It always felt to me like it should have been down in the secondary hull near the hangar deck. But onscreen evidence and the stage blueprints in The Making of Star Trek showed it off a circular corridor suggesting the saucer section.

I also thought the soundstage had those sets up all the time as depicted in those TMOST blueprints. It didn't occur to me that they'd be dismantled to make room for different sets in an episode.

Greg Cox wrote:
I worried about a fly getting into the tranporter room . . . .
When I first saw David Hedison on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, I figured he must have gotten better.
Old November 7 2013, 06:21 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship,
It is.
Not.
when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).
It isn't.
It sure appears that it is.
http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/ships...1701bridge.gif
Old November 7 2013, 06:29 PM   #20
B.J.
Rear Admiral

when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).
It isn't.
You can't use that pic as evidence, they drew ALL the bridges in a skewed orientation.

Personally, I believe that the bridge faces forward, and the model has a detail error.

You ask any average person (not us hardcore Trekkies) which way the bridge faces, and they'll likely wonder why that's even a question.
Old November 7 2013, 06:31 PM   #21
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

When I first heard the word "phaser," I thought it was spelled "fazer" because the weapon had a stun setting -- it could be set to just "faze" a person rather than kill them. That was in spite of the fact that "faze" is always used negatively (as in "it didn't even faze him").

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
I always thought that the phasers fired out of the big glowy dome on the bottom of the primary hull.
So did I. It seemed a logical place to put them.

BillJ wrote: View Post
When I was very, very little I thought the bridge took up the entire saucer.
That would have made the Enterprise a really tiny ship!

B.J. wrote: View Post
You ask any average person (not us hardcore Trekkies) which way the bridge faces, and they'll likely wonder why that's even a question.
That's because they're not hardcore Trekkies!
Old November 7 2013, 06:36 PM   #22
J.T.B.
Commodore

My first big error was the name of the show in the TAS era, which, before I could read, I thought was "Star Track." So did everybody my age, though.

Later, I thought photon torpedoes were some kind of projected blobs of exploding energy with no material "body." When I saw TWOK I didn't realize the things they were loading onto that track were supposed to be the photon torpedoes.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:05 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
It isn't.
You can't use that pic as evidence, they drew ALL the bridges in a skewed orientation.
This doesn't appear so. The turbolift was always to the left side of the captain's chair. It's the same here.
Personally, I believe that the bridge faces forward, and the model has a detail error.
It's the other way around. The turbolift shaft cap has always been a cylindrical structure directly behind the bridge module, not to the side of it (it's actually like that for NX-01 Enterprise).
Then you have to educate them that what they've believed was wrong.
Old November 7 2013, 09:19 PM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship,
It is.
Not.
It isn't.
That the production crew decided the elevator doors looked better one wedge segment to port, and rearranged the set to accommodate better camera angles, has no bearing on the original intent of the design, and basic human design logic.

It's easy enough to imagine the external cylinder as the vertical shaft, but that the car jogs forward and to port to meet the doors, while an auxiliary car is stationed to starboard for those "no waiting for the elevator" moments.

the 36° offset is a figment of Franz Joseph's rationalizations for the 1975 technical manual, not evidenced anywhere in the actual show.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:53 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It is.
Not.
It isn't.
That the production crew decided the elevator doors looked better one wedge segment to port, and rearranged the set to accommodate better camera angles, has no bearing on the original intent of the design, and basic human design logic.
Not being an actual window like those aboard oceangoing vessels, the main viewscreen can be placed anywhere on the bridge like any monitor. In the end, the viewscreen is really just a big monitor and will show images from various angles around the ship.
It's easy enough to imagine the external cylinder as the vertical shaft, but that the car jogs forward and to port to meet the doors, while an auxiliary car is stationed to starboard for those "no waiting for the elevator" moments.
Not sure what you mean by this.
the 36° offset is a figment of Franz Joseph's rationalizations for the 1975 technical manual, not evidenced anywhere in the actual show.
But it does fit the actual show and the only reason to assume otherwise is to fit a notion that the viewscreen is like a glass window and absolutely has to be aligned along the ship's centerline.
Old November 7 2013, 10:30 PM   #26
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

On screen (canon) evidence would support the idea that the cylinder behind the bridge dome is NOT the tubolift.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...thecage011.jpg
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 11:30 PM   #27
Forbin
Admiral

Turbolift car comes up thru the shaft, shifts forward and to port to the doors. When a person uses it, the car shifts back to the vertical shaft and drops, and the standby car immediately over to take its place at the bridge doors.
This is Ziz's concept from many years ago, which made a light bulb go off over my head. It makes a ton more sense than the bridge being the only control center on any vehicle in history that doesn't face front.
Old November 7 2013, 11:32 PM   #28
Forbin
Admiral

And we probably shouldn't let this thread devolve into yet another bridge angle fight.
Old November 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #29
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Turbolift car comes up thru the shaft, shifts forward and to port to the doors. When a person uses it, the car shifts back to the vertical shaft and drops, and the standby car immediately over to take its place at the bridge doors.
This is Ziz's concept from many years ago, which made a light bulb go off over my head. It makes a ton more sense than the bridge being the only control center on any vehicle in history that doesn't face front.
The problem with that is that it doesn't fit into a 947-foot USS Enterprise. And of course, with the viewscreen not being a window (in the prime reality, at least), there's no need for it to face forward. Click!
Old November 8 2013, 02:43 AM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
On screen (canon) evidence would support the idea that the cylinder behind the bridge dome is NOT the tubolift.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...thecage011.jpg
Actually, if you look closely at that image you'll see the viewscreen isn't facing the ship's centerline there either.

That's an interesting idea. But as far as it making "more sense" for the control center to face front, that only really applies to a vehicle that needs an actual front-facing window for manual flight. The main viewscreen truthfully eliminates this need and thus can be placed anywhere on a bridge.

And we probably shouldn't let this thread devolve into yet another bridge angle fight.
Agreed.
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The problem with that is that it doesn't fit into a 947-foot USS Enterprise. And of course, with the viewscreen not being a window (in the prime reality, at least), there's no need for it to face forward. Click!
There is that to consider...