Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 9 2013, 08:13 PM   #61
Harvey
Admiral

Re: R.I.P Blockbuster

RandyS wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Every time I browsed the aisles, I'd see that Sean Connery flick, Outland staring me in the face. Gotta watch that sometime.
For me, that was one of those "middle of the road" movies. Good, not great, but I liked it well enough. Although, the book was better. But then, it usually is.

I recommend it.
What book? Outland was an original screenplay by Peter Hyams, although it was loosely inspired by High Noon.

And although Stanley Kramer bought the rights to "The Tin Star" (a short story) to protect High Noon from potential legal action, that movie was basically an original, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 08:24 PM   #62
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Every time I browsed the aisles, I'd see that Sean Connery flick, Outland staring me in the face. Gotta watch that sometime.
For me, that was one of those "middle of the road" movies. Good, not great, but I liked it well enough. Although, the book was better. But then, it usually is.

I recommend it.
What book? Outland was an original screenplay by Peter Hyams, although it was loosely inspired by High Noon.
Outland was novelized, written, I believe, by Alan Dean Foster.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 02:43 AM   #63
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
[

I thought local video stores had gone extinct long ago because of chains like Blockbuster.
There are still a ton of mom n' pop video rental stores in most big North American cities, if you look around; Toronto still has a lot of those ever since Rogers Communications exited the retailing of physical media last year (mostly in the downtown sections of Old Toronto.) My favourite store is Queen Video, which has three locations in downtown Toronto alone (we also have RedBox kiosks in grocery stores.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 04:33 AM   #64
TemporalFlux
Commodore

My Blockbuster also bought out the previous rental store - Alfalfa video. I was always amused by the story that the actor who played Spanky on Our Gang founded the business and named it in honor of his friend's alter ego Alfalfa. I never tried to confirm it; it made enough sense to me.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:11 AM   #65
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

publiusr wrote: View Post
Now I miss Suncoast and blockbuster. I like walking around and looking at products, buying some of the tie in items as they catch my eye.

Damn this downloadable world.

Well, I can still hear well on my land line.
Oh, yeah, I miss Suncoast. We only had one, and it was 25 miles from where I lived, but on the ultra rare occasions when we would go there, you could find almost anything there. I found a copy of "Spaceballs" the VHS Tape, for something like $13. I snapped that up tout suite.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 11:20 AM   #66
Aragorn
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Oh, yeah, I miss Suncoast. We only had one, and it was 25 miles from where I lived, but on the ultra rare occasions when we would go there, you could find almost anything there. I found a copy of "Spaceballs" the VHS Tape, for something like $13. I snapped that up tout suite.
You could always find stuff at Suncoast because they cost like 25-75% more than at other stores.

Stores in the mall that sell movies and music are still like that. I peeked into and FYE recently and they were selling a Blu-ray movie for like $45 that you could get off Amazon for $15.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 06:25 PM   #67
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile

Generally try to get movies on sale from Wal-Mart for the most part, but now and then I go to Family Video and rent something from there, just to give them some business. Not everyone likes to get videos from Red box. Not to mention there's more selection in store.
Old November 10 2013, 08:23 PM   #68
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
You could always find stuff at Suncoast because they cost like 25-75% more than at other stores.
True, and in my area, the stuff you could find at Suncoast often wasn't available any place else.

Suncoast liked it that way.

It doesn't matter now though, the last Suncoast in our area closed almost a year ago.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 07:32 AM   #69
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Christopher;8858122]

The thing about Netflix is, it doesn't always have the exact same selection that Blockbuster did, and you have to wait to get DVDs. Blockbuster was good to have around as a supplement, an alternative source that could occasionally provide titles Netflix lacked or at least make them available immediately instead of days later.
???

In my experience, Blockbuster was only useful if all you ever wanted to watch was, well, blockbusters. You were lucky if they had one section of classics or even one shelf of foreign. (And if you wanted that foreign film to be from any country but France or Japan, you're SOL). They got 200 copies of big budget explosion film #36692 and 1 max of anything indie. Netflix on the other hand has practically anything that's ever had a region 1 release.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:05 AM   #70
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ That reminds me of another reason people hated Blockbuster, for years while they still had the pull to make it happen they wouldn't carry unrated movies which sounds kind of laughable now.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:50 AM   #71
Candlelight
Admiral

Netflix and iTunes etc aren't available in New Zealand so I still rent DVDs from time to time, although for the topic of Blockbuster they all left NZ about two years ago.
Old November 11 2013, 05:08 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
In my experience, Blockbuster was only useful if all you ever wanted to watch was, well, blockbusters. You were lucky if they had one section of classics or even one shelf of foreign. (And if you wanted that foreign film to be from any country but France or Japan, you're SOL). They got 200 copies of big budget explosion film #36692 and 1 max of anything indie. Netflix on the other hand has practically anything that's ever had a region 1 release.
Well, one can't generalize. I often found that Blockbuster had new releases available before I could get them from Netflix. Indeed, isn't there usually a 1-month delay between when a DVD goes on sale and when Netflix gets it? At least there used to be.

And yes, the majority of the time, Netflix had anything Blockbuster did and more, but there were some cases where BB had things I couldn't find on Netflix. And as I said, I could rent them immediately rather than having to wait days for them to come in the mail. Not to mention that I only pay for the one-DVD-at-a-time tier of Netflix, while BB let me rent multiple DVDs at once.

So yes, for me, it was useful to have both options available. They complemented each other. Diversity is good. Monopoly is bad.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:55 PM   #73
SeerSGB
Admiral

I thought the company was long ago dead and dusted.

That said--having worked for them--I was never happier to quit a job than I was when I quit there. It was a miserable experience; not just at the store level, but at every level of the company that I had an experience with.

Oh man, I remember the time we received a whole bunch of Blockbuster videos in our deposit box. Fun times indeed.
I worked at a Blockbuster for a few weeks in '03 ('04?). We'd get Hollywood Video's rentals all the time. Our stuff had a habit of ending up in the Library's night-drop.

Last edited by SeerSGB; November 12 2013 at 12:03 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:50 PM   #74
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

How Fitting: ‘This Is the End’ the Last Movie Rented from Blockbuster
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:58 PM   #75
Christopher
Writer

Do they still have to return it?