Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 7 2013, 06:43 PM   #46
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: R.I.P Blockbuster

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I remember watching Blockbuster coming intotown and putting all the independents out of business - the corner shops, the guys who came around with videos to rent in the back of their cars.
For real?!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:57 PM   #47
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

I remember going up to my local Blockbuster (often called Blockhead by me and my friends -- due to their return policy) and renting movies and games over the years. Tried out Pokémon Snap back when they let people try games out there. Worth every cent. And I got started watching the X-Files due to renting Ice there on VHS.

Good bye Blockbuster, thanks for the memories.
Old November 8 2013, 07:05 PM   #48
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
the guys who came around with videos to rent in the back of their cars.
For real?![/QUOTE]

Yeah, back in the mid to late 80s. You'd rent it one evening and they'd come back a couple of nights later and pick 'em up. And you could chose Betamax or VHS. (I'm so old I can remember Phillips 2000!)

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 07:52 PM   #49
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

For real?!
Yeah, back in the mid to late 80s. You'd rent it one evening and they'd come back a couple of nights later and pick 'em up. And you could chose Betamax or VHS. (I'm so old I can remember Phillips 2000!)[/QUOTE]

Was that something that was exclusive to your neighborhood? We certainly never had anybody doing that. The cops would have been on them before they knew what hit them.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 09:17 PM   #50
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

For real?!
Yeah, back in the mid to late 80s. You'd rent it one evening and they'd come back a couple of nights later and pick 'em up.
Or bust your kneecaps...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:09 AM   #51
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I agree, it is the end of an era. I worked for Hollywood Video back in the day, right as DVDs were becoming a thing. Still, 95% of our inventory were VHS tapes, and I remember running our half dozen rewinders (thanks people!), opening and splicing broken videotapes, and asking people if they wanted to pay on their late fees (the biggest late fee I ever saw was a $95 late fee for one VHS tape).

It was a neat experience.
That brings back memories. I used to work at Movie Gallery. At our store you paid the 'extended viewing fee' or you didn't rent anything else. I got so good at splicing videotapes that I had customers bringing in their personal tapes for me to fix.
Nice.

Yeah, we had people who were flagged as not being able to rent, but then they'd bring in their friends, who would pay for the video, and then hand it right to them. Our manager didn't care.
I used to manage a Blockbuster (about 17 years ago) and we'd try to charge the credit card number on file for late fees over two weeks old. Some late fees were sent to collections, but mostly fees for un-returned games, the game would come back when the parent got the bill and they searched the kid's room.

I always told folks to never give a debit card number because of the "extended viewing charges".

About once a month I'd drive down to the Hollywood Video store for a hostage exchange, returning the hollywood movies people returned Blockbuster and getting the BBV movies people returned to Hollywood.

ah memories. Haven't been in a blockbuster in over a decade.
Jptrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 02:59 AM   #52
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Oh man, I remember the time we received a whole bunch of Blockbuster videos in our deposit box. Fun times indeed.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:09 AM   #53
Christopher
Writer

"Hostage exchange."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:22 AM   #54
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

My only Blockbuster memory is that they once argued with me over something stupid, accused me of stealing, or trying to steal and wanted two forms of photo ID (I was a teenager in high school and didn't drive) over a coupon or something really insane.

I never step foot in one again.
Old November 9 2013, 12:17 PM   #55
TemporalFlux
Commodore

My Blockbuster memory is standing in line beside a family looking at a magazine while making very personal, insulting comments about Michael Jackson (almost like they were talking about a guy that lived down the street from them). I finally couldn't help myself and turned to the girl talking.

"Aren't you being kind of harsh?" I said; "You act like you know the guy."

She responded, "I'm Brandy"

I responded, "Well, I'm Daniel; but I still wouldn't talk about the guy like that."

After she stormed out in a huff, someone tried to explain to me that she was Moesha; never heard of the show before that.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:28 PM   #56
publiusr
Commodore

Now I miss Suncoast and blockbuster. I like walking around and looking at products, buying some of the tie in items as they catch my eye.

Damn this downloadable world.

Well, I can still hear well on my land line.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:42 PM   #57
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I just rented from my local grocery store. $2.99 for two videos for seven days. And I get stuff from my local library too. I prefer physical media anyway.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 06:59 PM   #58
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
For real?!
Yeah, back in the mid to late 80s. You'd rent it one evening and they'd come back a couple of nights later and pick 'em up. And you could chose Betamax or VHS. (I'm so old I can remember Phillips 2000!)
Was that something that was exclusive to your neighborhood? We certainly never had anybody doing that. The cops would have been on them before they knew what hit them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. We were living in the North East of England at the time. I remember that the videos were stacked on their ends (spines up) in the boot of the car. The seats were down and because I'm short, I could never bend over the far enough to read the spines.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:01 PM   #59
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I only recently learned that "boot" means "trunk".
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 07:47 PM   #60
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure. We were living in the North East of England at the time. I remember that the videos were stacked on their ends (spines up) in the boot of the car. The seats were down and because I'm short, I could never bend over the far enough to read the spines.
Ah. You lived in England. That explains it. Different rules and stuff....
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote