July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 7 2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: R.I.P Blockbuster

I remember when movies would first come out on VHS as rent-only and then later on you could buy them retail. Although you could special order them for around $100 to get a title at the same time the rental stores got them if you really wanted it that badly. I wonder if that's how much the rental stores had to buy them for.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 12:15 AM   #17
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I miss video stores. I'd stumble across a lot of good movies just wandering the isles. All the new movies are on my cable on demand but never any good older ones.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #18
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Good riddance...sorry for folks who lost their jobs.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 12:48 AM   #19
J. Allen
Love For All

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I remember when movies would first come out on VHS as rent-only and then later on you could buy them retail. Although you could special order them for around $100 to get a title at the same time the rental stores got them if you really wanted it that badly. I wonder if that's how much the rental stores had to buy them for.
A local video store I used to frequent (very much hole-in-the-wall), told me as much. Of course, they also told me they didn't buy them from the catalogs. Instead, they would just go to the store and buy them off the shelf. It seemed to work out well for them for a few years, but then one day they just shut down. I always wondered whether it was because they were cheating the system.

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I miss video stores. I'd stumble across a lot of good movies just wandering the isles. All the new movies are on my cable on demand but never any good older ones.
Yeah, part of the fun was browsing. The lists available on demand are pretty nice, but it also allows for more junk as filler. In a video store, shelf space was at a premium, so the video was usually something decent (though not always).

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Shatinator
Commander

PKerr wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
There's just no demand for it anymore. On the ever rarer occasion people rent physical media, they can go to a RedBox, or find a local Mom & Pop video store.
Oh I know, it's been a long time coming and it's not as if they didn't bring it on themselves it's just sad to a see the end of an era kind of a thing, I was a kid when they opened their first stores and they were a great place to go at one point.

It's also sad to see that many more people added to the unemployment pool.
Kirby wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear that people will be losing their jobs, but Blockbuster was a horrible company with terrible customer service and awful business practices. I haven't been a customer since about 2001. Good riddence.
Kirby wrote: View Post
Up until about a year ago I still had three within a 10 minute drive from my house. One was turned into a Dental Practice about a year ago, one is now a tanning salon, and the third is still Blockbuster. At least for now.

Aside from over charging and some really thoughtless public relation issues, I wonder what did they do to "bring it upon themselves". Surely they did not start as a company in that state.
Old November 7 2013, 01:05 AM   #21
kirk55555
Commodore

I used to have a convienience store near where I lived as a kid that also had video rentals. We were constantly renting stuff. nowadays we don't have any video rantal places left, and I get most movies from the library or buy them. I do kind of miss being able to rent stuff,especially since netflix/redbox will never be an option (I know its the far future time of 2013, but it would be nice to be able to rent stuff without needing a credit card or paypal). Its not a huge deal I guess, for movies most of what I want the public library eventually gets and I just buy games I want even if I have to wait until used copies get cheap, but I had a lot of fun renting movies as a kid, and having no option sucks.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 01:08 AM   #22
J. Allen
Love For All

The only option I can suggest is getting a prepaid card, such as a GreenDot or NetSpend card (Kroger, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Walgreens, Target, KMart, Walmart all carry these types of cards). Toss a few dollars on it and use it to rent movies at a RedBox.

Old November 7 2013, 01:17 AM   #23
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

There was one awesome thing about going to a place like Blockbuster. It allowed you to browse and to read the back of titles. Who knows, maybe it's a movie that looks interesting and you will rent it. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing on Netflix or that kind of media. Yeah they recommend titles, but there is always that obscure title you might rent just by reading the back of the movie that you would never have rented had you not walked into the store.
Old November 7 2013, 01:18 AM   #24
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Location: Get Back you Old Mixer, Nana won't let you cross the street.

They really did themselves in when they began offering free in store exchanges for movies when you returned the mail in ones at the store instead of mailing them back. For the 'three at a time' mail service I was getting 3 free store rentals per month. It practically paid for itself.
Old November 7 2013, 01:34 AM   #25
J. Allen
Love For All

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
There was one awesome thing about going to a place like Blockbuster. It allowed you to browse and to read the back of titles. Who knows, maybe it's a movie that looks interesting and you will rent it. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing on Netflix or that kind of media. Yeah they recommend titles, but there is always that obscure title you might rent just by reading the back of the movie that you would never have rented had you not walked into the store.
Yeah, when you select a movie title in Netflix, it will show you the movie release info, the lead actor/actress, as well as a summary and the movie's popular rating.

Old November 7 2013, 02:05 AM   #26
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Yeah, when you select a movie title in Netflix, it will show you the movie release info, the lead actor/actress, as well as a summary and the movie's popular rating.
I'm not sure how to describe it but just browsing is a little more casual than what you do on Netflix, or at least it feels like it to me. On Netflix, you know what you are going for, or have a pretty good idea. When I went to rent a movie, I wouldn't even rent a movie but just go browsing. Netflix is a more direct approach to movie renting, if that makes any sense.
Old November 7 2013, 03:05 AM   #27
SiddFinch1
Captain

Sad for the employees but its a .business model that died.years ago
Old November 7 2013, 03:17 AM   #28
Pondwater
Rear Admiral

End of an era. Although, the one here closed back in early 2009. I have fonder memories of Hollywood video.
Old November 7 2013, 03:30 AM   #29
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
It's been over 12 years since I've rented a video.
I think I was renting video tapes as late as 2003. A decade later, DVD rentals have come and gone and now we're at digital downloads and on demand services. I tried the DVD by mail thing for two years but I cancelled that because the DVDs I got would sit there for days or weeks before I watched them. I'd see a movie I liked, put it in on my list and then I'd have to wait for it for several days or even months and by the time it arrived I wasn't all that keen on seeing it right away. Unlimited DVDs for a flat fee sounded good in theory but the wait times and having so many titles unavailable due to high demand was a real drag. That business model won't last either.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I remember when movies would first come out on VHS as rent-only and then later on you could buy them retail. Although you could special order them for around $100 to get a title at the same time the rental stores got them if you really wanted it that badly.
I remember wanting Star Trek VI badly enough to consider doing that.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:34 AM   #30
J. Allen
Love For All

I'm not sure how to describe it but just browsing is a little more casual than what you do on Netflix, or at least it feels like it to me. On Netflix, you know what you are going for, or have a pretty good idea. When I went to rent a movie, I wouldn't even rent a movie but just go browsing. Netflix is a more direct approach to movie renting, if that makes any sense.
Yeah, there's this sense of "movie night" when you're browsing in a video store. You don't know what you might get, but it's all a part of the experience. I remember, as a child, oh 9 or 10 years old, and my parents would go to our local supermarket, rent a VCR, a VHS tape, and we'd order a pizza, and then we would go to my Aunt and Uncle's house, and we'd watch it on their big screen (25") TV.

I remember that's how we watched "Turner and Hooch," "Dragnet," and "The Little Mermaid." Those memories are very fond ones, and I just don't feel that with the instant click of movies on Netflix and cable/sat providers. Yeah, it's easier and more convenient, cheaper too, but maybe it's the rose colored glasses, but I feel something has been lost in the shuffle.