Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 6 2013, 02:12 PM   #31
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Kate Stewart in Day of the Doctor (SPOILERS!)

Mitty wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you're really getting at here. She's part of UNIT and it's a well known fact that any dates that are at all to do with UNIT make no sense whatsoever.
Everything makes sense when you realize that every time you see UNIT, the story doesn't actually take place on our Earth, but on some kind of weird, time-shifted, Mondas-like parallel reality.
Old November 6 2013, 06:53 PM   #32
Noddy
Captain

Obviously it isn't our Earth. But given how Moffat apparently touts himself as so super-clever, it would stand to reason that he'd be able to follow his own continuity.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 07:00 PM   #33
Noddy
Captain

As pathetic as it may sound, I have to admit, this is starting to worry me a little now.
Old November 6 2013, 07:47 PM   #34
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Noddy wrote: View Post
As pathetic as it may sound, I have to admit, this is starting to worry me a little now.
Seriously? Doctor Who has never been a slave to its own continuity. ESPECIALLY dates. If this is the sort of thing that will run a story for you, you shouldn't be watching. Or, really, you are watching for the wrong reasons.

Anything that has lasted as long as Doctor Who, has had as many show runners and writers, won't fit together neatly like a puzzle.
Old November 6 2013, 07:53 PM   #35
Noddy
Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Anything that has lasted as long as Doctor Who, has had as many show runners and writers, won't fit together neatly like a puzzle.
I think it could. And besides, Moffat was very emphatic as to the dates of the Ponds' current era adventures. If he contradicts all that now, it just looks like he can't even be bothered paying attention to his own material.
Old November 6 2013, 08:08 PM   #36
Noddy
Captain

The date of Amy and Rory's wedding was stated to be June 2010 several times on-screen throughout Series 5.

The date of the Doctor's alleged "death" in Series 6 was firmly stated several times to be April 2011. Amy and Rory's subsequent travels with the Doctor in Series 6 lasted until Summer of that same year.

At the end of The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe, Amy comments that she hasn't seen the Doctor in two years, making it Christmas 2013.
Old November 6 2013, 10:24 PM   #37
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Seems like all of this is based off an episode *description*. Those aren't exactly known for being accurate. So it doesn't mean anything unless they say 2013 on screen.
Old November 6 2013, 10:56 PM   #38
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The way I see it, it's the Doctor's timeline which is linear and everyone else's is undone, rewritten, deleted etc. The changes in timeline are invisible to everyone but could explain things like ghosts and deja-vu.

Okay, I just made that last bit up but it's kinda cool...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 05:20 AM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

I think it could. And besides, Moffat was very emphatic as to the dates of the Ponds' current era adventures. If he contradicts all that now, it just looks like he can't even be bothered paying attention to his own material.
Meh, despite various references to the Ponds' progressing a year or so after each appearance after they left the Doctor in The God Complex in 2011, The Angels Take Manhattan was still set in 2012 despite the fact it should have been nearly 2020 or so. Yes, it can be easily explained as the Doctor for whatever reason just taking them a few years into the past and there are practical reasons for this given the New York skyline is expected to look very different in a few years when the new World Trade Centre is complete. But at the same time, I don't think Moffat was too concerned with keeping things consistent with those previous references. After all, The Angels Take Manhattan was one of the two highest profile episodes of 7.0 and Moffat probably figured by mentioning the year to be 2012 would draw less questions from the majority "Not We" casual audience who would likely scratch their heads hearing the Doctor and Ponds talk about it being 2020.

To say nothing of the problematic dating concerning Closing Time...

Last edited by The Wormhole; November 7 2013 at 03:10 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 06:54 AM   #40
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

But, if time can be rewritten, then it's not a contradiction. It's time being rewritten.

AND, maybe he isn't bothered by it. And I would guess the vast majority aren't bothered by it either.
Old November 7 2013, 03:18 PM   #41
StCoop
Commodore

We're not talking about stories from multiple showrunners decades apart though, are we? We're talking about a story from the same person only a year and a bit later. No one forced him to have Amy and Rory's last stories take place over the span of a decade but since he chose to do that he shouldn't then ignore it because "most people won't notice". If that was the only reason for ever doing anything the world would be in an even worse state than it already is.

But as we see, people will pile on RTD for any tiny inconsistency while jumping through hoops to forgive any of Moffat's blunders.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:32 PM   #42
Lance
Commodore

^ Funny you should say that. I was only watching one of the DWConfidentials from that period the other day, and it reminded me of two things:

1) RTD was as mad as a bag full of spanners. Bonkers. He could talk about nothing for hours and still be entertaining. In fact the man could probably talk for England! (Or Wales, for that matter.)

2) He was a much better showrunner than Moffat.

Seriously, I've forgiven Davies for a lot. In hindsight, some of his output was often questionable, but the man was consistent and always seemed to have a sunny disposition that worked in this favor. Moffat's Who has not only been wildly inconsistent, the man has often made a point of selling that inconsistency as if it's a good thing.

Not saying the Davies era was great. Not even saying it was 'good'. But it was better than the last three years of MoffatWho have been, IMO.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 03:33 PM   #43
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm hardly the type to apologize for Moffat or make RTD a scapegoat. But at the same time, dates have always been all over the place in Doctor Who. Even RTD was inconsistent at times during his run. After all, most modern-day episodes in the RTD run are supposed to take place in the year after they air, yet occasionally they mention the same year. Not to mention Torchwood and SJA seemed to have trouble remembering the whole "one year later" thing. And before anyone says "but RTD wasn't directly involved with those shows" the mistakes were made in RTD-written episodes of both shows (for Torchwood it was the Miracle Day premiere and SJA it was The Death of the Doctor).

Although, I agree, Moffat was just setting himself up for blunder every time he had Amy or Rory talk about it being a year or two later, when there wasn't really much of a need for it.
Old November 7 2013, 04:03 PM   #44
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

There was a need for it, as the whole of season 7a specifically (and seasons 5-7 in general) was about showing the Doctor and the Ponds having this long running relationship.
Old November 7 2013, 04:58 PM   #45
The Haunting
Admiral

The RTD/Moffat wars will only end when their fans can team up against Team Chibnal!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote