Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 6 2013, 02:19 AM   #31
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Re: Peeling "The Apple"

The bit about Scotty being fired was pretty good gallows humor. It was clear that failure meant death anyway, so being fired would be trivial by comparison, and thus the joke.

I'm sure James Doohan would have agreed that "The Apple" and "Friday's Child" were great episodes for Scotty. He got a lot of dialogue, and didn't get flung through the air for trying to help a girl, like he did in "The Changeling" and "Who Mourns for Adonais" and "The Lights of Zetar."

Scotty gave up on women after that-- while he could still walk.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:48 AM   #32
AtoZ
Commander

Corylea wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
But by the middle of the second season, the forced jokey ending was already becoming a Trek cliché.
I wouldn't mind a GOOD jokey ending, but they were often so very labored.

And what's with the bit where Kirk says to Scotty: "If you can't get those warp engines working, you're fired"? Fired? They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss. I suppose that line could have been meant as a joke, but it just comes across as sloppy writing.
It's meant to be a jokey way of saying, "I'll be very unhappy with you," which makes it a way of showing Kirk's persona as a man who bonds with his crew and who doesn't just snap out orders. This means that it's not sloppy writing; it's character-based writing.
I'd buy into that except it never came up once before over ever again after between Kirk and Scotty. I lean towards it being sloppy writing.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 04:10 AM   #33
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

More to the point of sloppy writing, I'm less forgiving of the way (I think it's this episode) the way Scotty keeps talking about flies. "We couldna beam up a fly!" and later on, something about being like a fly on flypaper!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 04:43 AM   #34
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Methinks you guys don't really know what "sloppy writing" is if those are what you consider examples.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 04:49 AM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I'm sure James Doohan would have agreed that "The Apple" and "Friday's Child" were great episodes for Scotty. He got a lot of dialogue, and didn't get flung through the air for trying to help a girl, like he did in "The Changeling" and "Who Mourns for Adonais" and "The Lights of Zetar."
I still think "A Taste of Armageddon" was one of Scott's finest hours, when he basically told Ambassador Fox to shove it up his ass.
Old November 6 2013, 04:50 AM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The bit about Scotty being fired was pretty good gallows humor. It was clear that failure meant death anyway, so being fired would be trivial by comparison, and thus the joke.
Oh, I get the gallows-humor part. It just should have been written with a more military flavor, something like this deleted exchange between Cmdr. J.J. Adams and Lt. Jerry Farman in Forbidden Planet:

ADAMS: Some day you're going to bring us out right inside some star!

FARMAN: Yeah, and you'll probably court-martial me for it.
Old November 6 2013, 06:27 AM   #37
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
I still think "A Taste of Armageddon" was one of Scott's finest hours, when he basically told Ambassador Fox to shove it up his ass.
Nah, I think it was in the Roman episode where he turned the lights out on the whole freakin' planet as a show of force and in spite of Kirk's "Condition Green" order of non-interference. Kirk was willing to sacrifice himself and his landing party to avoid compounding Merrick's mistake, but Scotty found a way to save the landing party and more than earned the commendation Kirk gave him. We all know Scotty never wanted to be a captain, but he showed right there that he had the brains and the balls for the job.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 07:23 AM   #38
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Corylea wrote: View Post
But by the middle of the second season, the forced jokey ending was already becoming a Trek cliché.
I wouldn't mind a GOOD jokey ending, but they were often so very labored.

And what's with the bit where Kirk says to Scotty: "If you can't get those warp engines working, you're fired"? Fired? They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss. I suppose that line could have been meant as a joke, but it just comes across as sloppy writing.
It's meant to be a jokey way of saying, "I'll be very unhappy with you," which makes it a way of showing Kirk's persona as a man who bonds with his crew and who doesn't just snap out orders. This means that it's not sloppy writing; it's character-based writing.
I'd buy into that except it never came up once before over ever again after between Kirk and Scotty. I lean towards it being sloppy writing.
I thought Kirk threatened to fire him in one other episode. He certainly said to him once 'You've earnt your pay for the week'.
Or was that Chekov?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 11:58 AM   #39
Metryq
Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I thought Kirk threatened to fire him in one other episode. He certainly said to him once 'You've earnt your pay for the week'.
Or was that Chekov?
Chekov in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.
Old November 6 2013, 03:03 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And Kirk once teased Spock about dipping little girl's pigtails in inkwells. That's just how he talks. It's not to be taken literally.

If Kirk says something like "You really pulled our fat out of the fire this time!", it's doesn't mean the Enterprise's supply of lard was literally in danger of combusting!

It's just breezy, 60's-era banter . . ..
Old November 6 2013, 04:22 PM   #41
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Or was that Chekov?
Chekov in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.
Scotty too in "The Doomsday Machine."
Old November 6 2013, 04:51 PM   #42
jpv2000
Captain

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And dare I mentioned that I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall on my wall, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this? (Celeste tried to talk me into writing her character into the novels once . . ..)
If I may... why not? No interest in the character of Landon; haven't found a suitable plot to plug the character into...?
I was wondering why not as well.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 05:11 PM   #43
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
And dare I mentioned that I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall on my wall, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this? (Celeste tried to talk me into writing her character into the novels once . . ..)
If I may... why not? No interest in the character of Landon; haven't found a suitable plot to plug the character into...?
I was wondering why not as well.
Honestly, I have written Landon into the background of a few bridge scenes, when I needed a random officer. But, yeah, I haven't really been inspired to come up with a story where her character would play a significant part.

To be honest, I have yet to do much with Chekov in any of my books, let alone his girlfriend. I really need to remedy that one of these days. (Most of my TOS books end up being very Kirk-centric, although I made a real effort to highlight Sulu and Uhura in my last book.)
Old November 6 2013, 07:14 PM   #44
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Methinks you guys don't really know what "sloppy writing" is if those are what you consider examples.

Most of the second year episodes hold up very well writing-wise.....and I'd certainly include THE APPLE. Yes, CATSPAW, GAMESTERS and I, MUDD too. As for the third year......ah.....DAY OF THE DOVE and THOLIAN rocked.
Old November 6 2013, 09:25 PM   #45
Metryq
Captain

a story where her character would play a significant part. ... I really need to remedy that one of these days.
Don't start sounding like a movie writer, with performer contracts to consider, how many minutes of screen time, etc. Be an artist and include only what the story needs.