RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,940
Posts: 5,479,068
Members: 25,056
Currently online: 464
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old March 3 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
EJA
Fleet Captain
 
Location: United Kingdom
Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Spock Prime doubtless knows of a number of ways to travel back in time and prevent Nero from embarking on his rampage resulting in the destruction of Vulcan (e.g. slingshot around a star, Guardian of Forever, etc). So why doesn't he do this?
EJA is offline  
Old March 3 2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: 221B BakerStreet
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

A Doctor told him its a fixed point in time.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old March 3 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

EJA wrote: View Post
Spock Prime doubtless knows of a number of ways to travel back in time and prevent Nero from embarking on his rampage resulting in the destruction of Vulcan (e.g. slingshot around a star, Guardian of Forever, etc). So why doesn't he do this?
Okay, I'll go over this at it has been gone over a thousand times before:

- Spock's only ship was the Jellyfish he was in when it was caught in the Black Hole in 2387.
- He and the Ship were INSTANTLY capture upon his arrival, 25 years after the Narada went through, at which point, he lost any means for time travel.
- He was dumped on Delta Vega and watched Vulcan destroyed, then encountered Kirk.
- After he and Kirk meet and exchange information, it was clear that time was not actually linear, but an Alternate Reality, and thus could not be repaired.
OneBuckFilms is offline  
Old March 3 2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

EJA wrote: View Post
Spock Prime doubtless knows of a number of ways to travel back in time and prevent Nero from embarking on his rampage resulting in the destruction of Vulcan (e.g. slingshot around a star, Guardian of Forever, etc). So why doesn't he do this?
Because even if he did, all he'd be doing was creating another timeline where Vulcan wasn't destroyed (and that's if he's even successful...who's to say the Vulcans would even believe him?). But Vulcan will still remain destroyed in the Abramsverse, and Romulus will still be destroyed in the prime universe. Since he's stuck in this timeline and he can't go back to his original timeline, what's the point? He might as well make himself useful where he is, which is exactly what he did.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 12:05 AM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

EJA wrote: View Post
Spock Prime doubtless knows of a number of ways to travel back in time and prevent Nero from embarking on his rampage resulting in the destruction of Vulcan (e.g. slingshot around a star, Guardian of Forever, etc). So why doesn't he do this?
In real-world terms: because Harlan Ellison owns the rights to the Guardian and will want Big Money for its use--refer to the lawsuit he filed (13 March, 2009) against CBS/Paramount and the WGA (settled in his favor 23 October, 2009) which has been discussed at great length elsewhere on this board--and also because Roberto Orci has said that there will be no convenient and easily- and precisely-controllable slingshot time-travel.

Besides, hasn't this topic been done enough times already? You've been here in this forum and you've participated in those threads; is there anything you seriously expect to come of asking the same question one more time which hasn't already been beaten to a bloody pulp more than a dozen times over the last nine months? What's to be gained from Yet Another 'Why Doesn't Spock Travel Back in Time and Just Press that Big Red Reset Button' Thread?
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain

Last edited by M'Sharak; March 4 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
M'Sharak is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Spock Prime's relatives, friends and associates are fine living it up in the Prime Universe. I doubt he really gives much of a shit about these alternate universe versions.
Shazam! is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: 221B BakerStreet
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Yeah they don't even look the same!
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 02:19 AM   #8
thumbtack
Commodore
 
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
relatives, friends and associates are fine living it up in the Prime Universe
I'm sure they miss old Spock at least a little bit. Granted, he's slowed down some, but his human half always ensured he was the life of the party (by Vulcan standards).
thumbtack is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 12:01 PM   #9
EJA
Fleet Captain
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Spock Prime's relatives, friends and associates are fine living it up in the Prime Universe.
That's if the prime universe is still around, which I still find highly debatable.
EJA is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

EJA wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Spock Prime's relatives, friends and associates are fine living it up in the Prime Universe.
That's if the prime universe is still around, which I still find highly debatable.
The Prime Universe? If we've settled on the many worlds theory the 'Prime Universe' vanished after Yesterday's Enterprise... and a different universe has been created almost every time they've done a 'reset' time travel story. It might be arguable that Time's Arrow doesn't create a new universe because the time loop appears to be completely closed but I'm not sure that applies often. Taking into account the Butterfly Effect, who can say which universe we're in any more?
Pauln6 is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 02:06 PM   #11
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A Doctor told him its a fixed point in time.
Was it Doctor Spock?
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 05:28 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

^^I am also wondering Who this Doctor is.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Spock Prime's relatives, friends and associates are fine living it up in the Prime Universe.
Actually, his family we know of (mother, father, brother) are dead in the Prime Universe.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old March 4 2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: 221B BakerStreet
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A Doctor told him its a fixed point in time.
Was it Doctor Spock?
No, an odd chap with a British accent,(which is odd for an alien). He also informed Spock that Earth girls are easy.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old March 5 2010, 12:35 AM   #14
lawman
Commander
 
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Okay, I'll go over this at it has been gone over a thousand times before:

- Spock's only ship was the Jellyfish he was in when it was caught in the Black Hole in 2387.
- He and the Ship were INSTANTLY capture upon his arrival, 25 years after the Narada went through, at which point, he lost any means for time travel.
- He was dumped on Delta Vega and watched Vulcan destroyed, then encountered Kirk.
- After he and Kirk meet and exchange information, it was clear that time was not actually linear, but an Alternate Reality, and thus could not be repaired.
Sorry, that doesn't really add up. That explains why he couldn't act to prevent what we see in the film, but not why he doesn't try to undo it. Logically, as soon as he meets Kirk and realizes what's going on, he should be looking for a way to go back 25 years and prevent the actions by Nero that sent the timeline off onto the tangent in which he finds himself. It's the course he's always followed in the past under similar circumstances.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Because even if he did, all he'd be doing was creating another timeline where Vulcan wasn't destroyed...
That's only if you buy completely into O&K's concept of how time travel works... which Spock wouldn't, given all available evidence of how he's dealt with time disruptions in the past. Otherwise, you're just begging the question of why he's ever labored to undo a time-change. As it stands, if he can see a way to undo the destruction of his home planet and save several billion people (not to mention restore a better childhood for his closest friend), you'd think he'd spare no effort to achieve it, rather than just accepting the new timeline as a fait accompli.
__________________
Blogging on pop culture and politics at SmartRemarks
lawman is offline  
Old March 5 2010, 01:12 AM   #15
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Why doesn't Spock Prime go back in time to save Vulcan?

lawman wrote: View Post
OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Okay, I'll go over this at it has been gone over a thousand times before:

- Spock's only ship was the Jellyfish he was in when it was caught in the Black Hole in 2387.
- He and the Ship were INSTANTLY capture upon his arrival, 25 years after the Narada went through, at which point, he lost any means for time travel.
- He was dumped on Delta Vega and watched Vulcan destroyed, then encountered Kirk.
- After he and Kirk meet and exchange information, it was clear that time was not actually linear, but an Alternate Reality, and thus could not be repaired.
Sorry, that doesn't really add up. That explains why he couldn't act to prevent what we see in the film, but not why he doesn't try to undo it. Logically, as soon as he meets Kirk and realizes what's going on, he should be looking for a way to go back 25 years and prevent the actions by Nero that sent the timeline off onto the tangent in which he finds himself. It's the course he's always followed in the past under similar circumstances.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Because even if he did, all he'd be doing was creating another timeline where Vulcan wasn't destroyed...
That's only if you buy completely into O&K's concept of how time travel works... which Spock wouldn't, given all available evidence of how he's dealt with time disruptions in the past. Otherwise, you're just begging the question of why he's ever labored to undo a time-change. As it stands, if he can see a way to undo the destruction of his home planet and save several billion people (not to mention restore a better childhood for his closest friend), you'd think he'd spare no effort to achieve it, rather than just accepting the new timeline as a fait accompli.
Since Spock knows of Kirk's altered past, and since he cannot travel back in time (stuck on Delta Vega), it would be obvious to him that things cannot be changed.

If there was a change that could be corrected, he would have corrected it.

Yes, I AM assuming the Alternate Reality explanation, since it is:

a) The writers' intent;
b) Explained as far as possible with dialog on the Bridge before Kirk was ejected;
c) Confirmed by Kirk ans Spock remembering very different events.

The fact that Spock would have done anything to save Vulcan if he could, and that it exists in the future he came from, tells me that he knows he cannot save it.
OneBuckFilms is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.