RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 520
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 24 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Commander

Spocks line in VI 'the universe will unfold as it should'

sort of ties in with the crew coming together in ST09 (i know there was supposed to be a spock line that kind of explained it by saying the timeline was attempting to repair itself)

anyway just watched VI again for first time in years (since before JJ Trek) and noticed that line.

Last edited by Khan 2.0; November 24 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Spocks line in VI 'the universe will unfold as it should'

I rewatched VI two days ago and noticed the very same thing.
Old November 24 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Time travel in Trek has always "righted" itself somehow.

Especially since that episode of TNG Parallels I htink it was.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 10:38 PM   #4
nureintier
Commander

Yeah, it always does seem to work out.

I watched VI last night, for the first time in many years, also.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 01:26 AM   #5
NuFan
Lieutenant Commander

Star Trek is multiple universes now. It makes no sense to say the timeline as if there is only one.
NuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 01:45 AM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
sort of ties in with the crew coming together in ST09 (i know there was supposed to be a spock line that kind of explained it by saying the timeline was attempting to repair itself)
Yes, that was exactly what they had in mind when they wrote the script 20+ years ago.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Khan 2.0
Commander

maybe
Khan 2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's consistent with his "currents of time" stuff in "City on the Edge of Forever" (which was proven right when they blundered into McCoy at the crucial moment) established 25 years prior to VI.
Old November 25 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It's consistent with his "currents of time" stuff in "City on the Edge of Forever" (which was proven right when they blundered into McCoy at the crucial moment) established 25 years prior to VI.
How dare Meyer, Nimoy and Bennett steal material from other iterations of Star Trek when making Star Trek? I hope they all burn in Hell for their transgressions against the Holy Church of the Roddenberry!
Old November 25 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I really wish people would stop misinterpreting the CotEoF lines to imply fate when it's really not the case.

Same with the STVI line. It has nothing to do with fate.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:43 PM   #11
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I really wish people would stop misinterpreting the CotEoF lines to imply fate when it's really not the case.

Same with the STVI line. It has nothing to do with fate.
Having a disagreement about what the lines mean is not misremembering them.

That said, I don't think that Spock's line in TUC was about fate. I read that line in particular as a belief that good people working together in the name of just causes will accomplish good things, even if those things are not what you expected them to be.
Old November 25 2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Ryan8bit
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I didn't say anything about memory. Really, there's what is actually meant by the lines in their context, and then there's perverting them to try and support what's clearly just a conscious change in direction. I don't understand why there even has to be some throwaway line to validate that.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:28 PM   #13
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I didn't say anything about memory. Really, there's what is actually meant by the lines in their context, and then there's perverting them to try and support what's clearly just a conscious change in direction. I don't understand why there even has to be some throwaway line to validate that.
My bad about your word choice. Let me rephrase:
Having a disagreement about what the lines mean implies that not everyone agrees that the lines are being misinterpreted.
I don't think that what Spock is talking about in TUC is the same thing as what is occurring in City. There would be no need to "have faith" if there was a physical certainty how things were going to turn out, and I think that is the clearest refutation of the idea that Spock is talking about fate in TUC.

However, I think there's more than a fair argument that fate plays a role in City. The notion of time having a shape, as the Guardian put it, suggests it. The currents in time that drew the two traveling groups together suggests it. Edith being ahead of her time, and having the right idea at the wrong time, suggests it. The word fate not being mentioned does not mean that it's unreasonable to interpret City as being about fate.

However, this thread is not really about that, at least as I see TUC, so if you want to make a thread about City in the appropriate forum, I might come to that to discuss it there, in due course. On the other hand, how to interpret City has been batted about many times over, so in reply I might just simply link to several or more of the numerous posts I've already made about that episode, since what I would say I've likely already said.
Old November 25 2013, 11:16 PM   #14
UFO
Captain

However, I think there's more than a fair argument that fate plays a role in City. The notion of time having a shape, as the Guardian put it, suggests it. The currents in time that drew the two traveling groups together suggests it. Edith being ahead of her time, and having the right idea at the wrong time, suggests it. The word fate not being mentioned does not mean that it's unreasonable to interpret City as being about fate.
Well it might yet be necessary to define what is meant by fate here. But since this thread includes in the title 'the universe will unfold as it should', it seems likely we mean a supernatural force preordaining events. But that is not what is happening in City (not the examples you give anyway). The notion of time having a shape or currents seems to be an ad hoc "scientific" explanation for otherwise unlikely events. I.e. the opposite of fate. Nor is Edith being ahead of her time an example of fate. It is only from the time travelling perspective that it looks like her ideas are destined to come about. Indeed the story makes it clear that they are not inevitable if the wrong decisions are made "now".

If the posts you referred to have examples of fate in City perhaps you could post links to them as you suggested? I would be interested, Though we may need to get on the same page definition wise, as I am not clear where you are coming from.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:59 PM   #15
trevanian
Rear Admiral

If you look at most 'fate is inevitable' flicks (like MATRIX sequels) vs 'no fate but what we make' flicks (like T2), it's pretty obvious that the accept-the-inevitable ones are not going to engage in as compelling a fashion. Even if you canNOT change it, the drive to try anyway makes for a better story, a la 12 MONKEYS.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote