Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 22 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
The Johnson
Ensign

Did the Xindi all evolve on 1 planet?

How did this happen if so?

I thought the 'rule' was that only 1 species could evolve per planet.

If this is commonly asked i apologise and you can delete this and point me in the direction of another thread.
The Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Did the Xindi all evolve on 1 planet?

Yes they did. This was pointed out a few episodes into the Xindi arc when they found the debris field.

As for the "rule" there really wasn't one. Precedent maybe, but that's different. Heck Earth had two sentient species, so did Andoria and that's without even thinking hard.
Old October 22 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I just watched the 3rd season opener "The Xindi". Archer obtains a body part from a Xindi-primate which Phlox compares against the corpse found in season 2's "The Expanse". He notes that DNA between the two specimens is nearly identical, even though the corpse was Xindi-reptilian, and agrees with Archer's suggestion comparing the difference as similar to that between modern humans and Neanderthals.
Old October 22 2013, 06:33 PM   #4
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Yes they did. This was pointed out a few episodes into the Xindi arc when they found the debris field.

As for the "rule" there really wasn't one. Precedent maybe, but that's different. Heck Earth had two sentient species, so did Andoria and that's without even thinking hard.
Happened in Dear Doctor, too (Valakians and Menk).
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
The Johnson
Ensign

Rabid Bat wrote: View Post

Happened in Dear Doctor, too (Valakians and Menk).
That episode is the one where they claim each planet can only have 1 sentient species.
The Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Not sure what "that episode" is. Phlox just spouts out some Darwinist crap about one species suppressing the other as a justification for not helping them.
Old October 22 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Not sure what "that episode" is. Phlox just spouts out some Darwinist crap about one species suppressing the other as a justification for not helping them.
It's not even Darwinist, it's just pseudoscientific nonsense.
Old October 23 2013, 02:38 AM   #8
Tiberius
Commodore

I don't see how soecies as different as the reptilians, aquatics and humanoids and insectoids could be as closely related as Phlox says. I don't have a problem with a planet producing several species of intelligent life, but to claim that an insect, reptile and mammal could be as closely related as humans and neanderthals is just ridiculous.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The Johnson wrote: View Post
That episode is the one where they claim each planet can only have 1 sentient species.
IIRC, they say that most planets whose inhabitants get to the warp stage of civilization only have one fully sentient species, and for the same reason we Terrans no longer have neanderthals: different tribes tend not to mix too nicely in the prehistoric stage.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Tiberius
Commodore

Indeed, given that Humans have only had practical intercontinental travel for a few hundred years, I think it is entirely plausible that different kinds of intelligent species could have evolved on the same planet. It would, of course, depend a great deal on the planet's geographic distribution, but if there are large continents that have not been connected for a long time, then one continent could have been home to the insectiods, another to the arborials, etc
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 12:43 PM   #11
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
It's not even Darwinist, it's just pseudoscientific nonsense.
It's definitively non Darwinist. (And actually, "Darwinist" doesn't mean anything. It's just a buzzword used by those who oppose evolutionary science.)
Old October 25 2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Indeed, given that Humans have only had practical intercontinental travel for a few hundred years, I think it is entirely plausible that different kinds of intelligent species could have evolved on the same planet.
I admit finding it hard that many different kinds of civilizable life would evolve on a single planet; it seems improbable. But, anyone paying attention to biology the past two decades and the discovery of how bizarre extremophiles can get should be a little humble about proclaiming things impossible, and it is, after all, a huge universe out there.

(And the Star Trek universe is also one with abundant meddlesome entities of incredible power and unclear agendas, just in case something can't possibly happen on its own, and I would try not to be dogmatic in declaring this can't possibly happen on its own.)
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Three intelligent species evolved on Earth in the ST universe: Humans, Dinosaurs (Voth) and the Whales (who were in communication with that mysterious race/vessel in STIV: The Voyage Home). So, technically we are also a planet with a highly intelligent Primate, Reptilian and Aquatic species. Only difference is humans and Voth didn't evolve at the same time and I guess with the whales, we just never knew how smart they were....
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:08 AM   #14
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Harbinger wrote: View Post
... and the Whales (who were in communication with that mysterious race/vessel in STIV: The Voyage Home).

... and I guess with the whales, we just never knew how smart they were....
Spock was able to mind meld with a whale, she expressed awareness of the treatment of her species. This showed intelligence.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 04:07 AM   #15
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Unfortunately, the whale then mentioned that she was an ABBA fan, and Spock therefore wrote her and her kind off.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote