Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 6 2013, 06:30 PM   #826
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I wanted a good actor playing Khan and Cumberbatch fit the bill. Anyone can come up with ways to address the discrepancy in appearance in their own mind. Which for me, is the absolute best way Abrams and Company could handle it in the film.

As far as casting Cumberbatch vs. a dark skinned actor, I think that there may have been some concerns about casting a dark-skinned person as a terrorist.
Unless there have been zero TV shows/movies casting a dark-skinned person as a terrorist since September 11, 2001, I doubt that should have been a huge problem.

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
All dictators that don't start out as evil, end up that way. It's inevitable.
It is certainly an occupational hazard. But nothing is this simple. The Roman Emperors -- despite the pomp of monarchy that surrounded them -- were strictly-speaking dictators. Many did go bad or crazy, many others didn't.
Imperial Rome at least had a Senate.
There were some Emperors who cared what the Senate thought. Then there were others who just did what they wanted anyway, and some of the Senators took matters into their own hands (or got cooperation from the Praetorians or the army).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:31 PM   #827
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I mean, he kills Pike. Orchestrates a terrorist bombing. Sure he's got a "reason" but it's hard to sympathize with that.
Now that you mention it, his teary explanation in the middle of the movie seems empty.
I don't think it was ever the intention of the film to somehow give justification for Khan's actions but, rather, motivation. I believe that the tears were real. Khan did feel some sort of loyalty for his fellow supermen and he acted based on that loyalty.

It was a nice flavor to the character and it felt very much in line with the Khan of 'Space Seed.'

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:58 PM   #828
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I wanted a good actor playing Khan and Cumberbatch fit the bill. Anyone can come up with ways to address the discrepancy in appearance in their own mind. Which for me, is the absolute best way Abrams and Company could handle it in the film.

As far as casting Cumberbatch vs. a dark skinned actor, I think that there may have been some concerns about casting a dark-skinned person as a terrorist.
Unless there have been zero TV shows/movies casting a dark-skinned person as a terrorist since September 11, 2001, I doubt that should have been a huge problem.
So Trek should have continued the unpleasant stereotype?
Old December 6 2013, 07:39 PM   #829
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post

As I recall it was Orci, a Hispanic (Mexican/Cuban), who mentioned the concern over using the brownskinned terrorist stereotype.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:17 PM   #830
Ryan8bit
Commodore

The weird part is that on JJ's Lost, there most definitely were dark-skinned terrorists, and from Iraq no less. I don't seem to recall any fuss over that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. It seems moronic to say that a terrorist couldn't feasibly be anything but white because of some sort of PC taboo.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:25 PM   #831
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
The weird part is that on JJ's Lost, there most definitely were dark-skinned terrorists, and from Iraq no less. I don't seem to recall any fuss over that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. It seems moronic to say that a terrorist couldn't feasibly be anything but white because of some sort of PC taboo.
Lost debuted nearly a decade ago. People and perceptions change.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 6 2013, 11:03 PM   #832
UFO
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Personally I'm more worried about the people who planned the events of 9/11 continuing the "unpleasant stereotype". Of course I've always had difficulty keeping my priorities straight.

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Yes, and as a "person of pale", I'm already starting to feel stereotyped. Oh well, I just hope someone's keeping score so one day dark-skinned actors will be allowed to be considered for these "forbidden" roles again.

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Lost debuted nearly a decade ago. People and perceptions change.
Not always for the better it seems.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:12 PM   #833
iguana_tonante
Admiral

So you are ok with racism because of 9/11. Probably also because FREEDOM. Good to know.
Old December 6 2013, 11:27 PM   #834
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Imperial Rome at least had a Senate.
What does that have to do with anything? Imperial Rome's Senate had no meaningful power in itself. That's what made it Imperial Rome as opposed to Republican Rome.
Old December 6 2013, 11:29 PM   #835
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I get worried when crap like this happens in the name of "patriotism".
Old December 6 2013, 11:32 PM   #836
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
I get worried when crap like this happens in the name of "patriotism".
Yet people still wonder why it might have been a good idea to have a white guy play Khan this time around...
Old December 6 2013, 11:38 PM   #837
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Uhhh... isn't "casting a South Asian as a South Asian villain would have been dangerously racist" actually pretty Orwellian logic? I mean, South Asian actors would be pretty ideal for bringing some real depth and authenticity to even futuristic villains notably from theirs or related cultural milieux.

And besides, all you would need to keep any such villain from being a horrid stereotype that reinforces racist hostilities would be some decent writers --

-- oh.
Old December 6 2013, 11:48 PM   #838
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigKrampus wrote: View Post

And besides, all you would need to keep any such villain from being a horrid stereotype that reinforces racist hostilities would be some decent writers --
Or a generally less judgmental American public.
Old December 6 2013, 11:55 PM   #839
UFO
Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
So you are ok with racism because of 9/11. Probably also because FREEDOM. Good to know.
Actually I made it clear I was against the racism that says a person should be ruled out of playing a role based solely on the colour of their skin. I think we just have a difference of opinion on how the world can be best "put to rights", or in this case, whether it even still needs to be. I.e. is stereotypical casting still a problem? Even in TOS there were plenty of white villains so how is Khan being an Indian of some variety racist or evil?

I don't see advocating for the ability to have a "dark-shinned" terrorist in a movie as in any way racist. Not being able to do so however, I do see as racist. Nor do I think it is a matter of FREEDOM. Its a matter of fairness and equal opportunity.

But thanks for not jumping to conclusions.

BigKrampus wrote: View Post

-- oh.
Decent writing in a action blockbuster? I don't know(?). But having Khan as a dark-skinned person was an opportunity to make a point, if they had wanted to. Instead they avoided the issue and we got that "drone" business etc (they were actually just missiles anyway). OK, a considerable improvement on the previous movie in that department, I will grant you.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:56 PM   #840
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Or a generally less judgmental American public.
Nah, that's an excuse, now. The bulk of the American movie-going public is just as capable of seeing a South Asian in a villain's role as it was of seeing Michael Clarke Duncan play the Kingpin, or Denzel Washington play Alonzo Harris, without losing its collective s***.