Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 4 2013, 11:43 PM   #781
thumbtack
Commodore

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Would James T. Kirk still be the same person if the character was written the same way but played by an African-American actor?

BigJake wrote: View Post
How about if James T. Kirk was written completely differently and played by a British actor?
Yes and yes.
At 3.3 million, Veronica Mars couldn't turn Kickstarter enthusiasm into a profit, further cementing Hollywood's belief that fan crusades are as worthless and misleading as the latinum they're printed on. - WSJ
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 12:05 AM   #782
SeerSGB
Admiral

SeerGSB wrote:
To put it another way: Would James T. Kirk still be the same person if the character was written the same way but played by an African-American actor?
How about if James T. Kirk was written completely differently and played by a British actor? Which of course was what happened with Khan, right?

(Of course Kirk's character was actually written quite differently in Abrams' movies...)
See I don't see STID as being written different. Sure, he's different from Derpy Khan in TWOK, but he's right in line with Space Seed Khan in terms of personality and style. STID Khan is what Space Seed Khan would have been had he won at the end of the episode.
Old December 5 2013, 12:14 AM   #783
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

SeerGSB wrote:
To put it another way: Would James T. Kirk still be the same person if the character was written the same way but played by an African-American actor?
How about if James T. Kirk was written completely differently and played by a British actor? Which of course was what happened with Khan, right?

(Of course Kirk's character was actually written quite differently in Abrams' movies...)
See I don't see STID as being written different. Sure, he's different from Derpy Khan in TWOK, but he's right in line with Space Seed Khan in terms of personality and style. STID Khan is what Space Seed Khan would have been had he won at the end of the episode.
With TARDIS-casting services, I think Montalban could have played CumberKhan's role brilliantly. I'm imagining the "cold corpses, shall we begin" speech, rendered in the whispering style of the TWOK "buried alive" speech and punctuated by the craziness in "stab at thee." It's chilling. It would have been different in tone from what we got, but I think it could have been shocking nonetheless.
Old December 5 2013, 01:47 AM   #784
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
t to Space Seed? Yes, a little.
Sorry, but Khan's ethnicity really wasn't important to the story or the character.

Hell I'm not seeing how he would be very different than the original idea where he was a Norwegian superman.

All you need is a charismatic brilliant megalomaniac who doesn't mind killing people to get what he wants, who ruled part of the world until being driven off into space.

Maybe, although it might depend on the story. There would likely be some differences that would creep in.
I doubt there would be.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 02:07 AM   #785
BigJake
Commodore

different from Derpy Khan in TWOK . . . right in line with Space Seed Khan in terms of personality and style.
Wrong on both counts, for my money. The "Derpy Khan" business aside -- which I still think is a silly evaluation of that character but there's no accounting for taste -- Khan in TWOK is a mad Ahab-style version of Space Seed Khan, both of whom are foreign princes. Khan in STID lacks that element of the character completely. So convincingly arguing that they're written the same is pretty difficult.

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 02:18 AM   #786
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Eh, Starfleet has a United Earth, no country is supposed to be dominant. So, where does this idea of "Foreign Prince" come from, unless the Foreign Prince is from another Planet?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 02:22 AM   #787
BigJake
Commodore

Foreign and exotic to the culture most of the characters come from. In a practical sense Starfleet of course plays as Americans in space (yes, they have Chekov and Scotty and blah blah blah -- they're still Americans in space). Within the story he is of course, perhaps just as importantly, from an exotic time centuries gone. Space Seed is about his inability to adjust to the modern world.

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:07 AM   #788
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote:
Khan was meant to be a villain that you sympathize with in the beginning of the story
Well, sort of.

I mean, he kills Pike. Orchestrates a terrorist bombing. Sure he's got a "reason" but it's hard to sympathize with that.
Old December 5 2013, 04:47 AM   #789
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
All you need is a charismatic brilliant megalomaniac who doesn't mind killing people to get what he wants, who ruled part of the world until being driven off into space.
It also helped that he was exotic, hence part of his race. You're right in that it could've been Norwegian as long as there was that same allure. But if what was just plain American white guy, no it wouldn't have been the same. That's the extent that race mattered, which is not much.

Maybe, although it might depend on the story. There would likely be some differences that would creep in.
I doubt there would be.
Any character that's not a straight, white, male is often going to have their differences highlighted. There's no way that he would be written the same.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:20 AM   #790
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Foreign and exotic to the culture most of the characters come from. In a practical sense Starfleet of course plays as Americans in space (yes, they have Chekov and Scotty and blah blah blah -- they're still Americans in space). Within the story he is of course, perhaps just as importantly, from an exotic time centuries gone. Space Seed is about his inability to adjust to the modern world.
An interesting interpretation, but I don't see it. Khan and his brethren represent Totalitarians with a healthy dose of Nazism/Fascism. He's not foreign and exotic to them, but primitive and brutal. An artifact from primitive and brutal time. I don't think Khan was having any trouble with the modern world. As he says in "Space Seed"

Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior. Mentally, physically. In fact, I am surprised how little improvement there has been in human evolution. Oh, there has been technical advancement, but, how little man himself has changed. Yes, it appears we will do well in your century, Captain.
He isn't done in by the modern world but by Marla's shifting loyalties.

The Khan we see in STID is closer to the one we see in Space Seed. He is ruthless and brutal when needed, but also intelligent. He's not the scenery chewing, easily tricked Ahab we see in TWOK.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:34 AM   #791
SeerSGB
Admiral

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
An interesting interpretation, but I don't see it. Khan and his brethren represent Totalitarians with a healthy dose of Nazism/Fascism. He's not foreign and exotic to them, but primitive and brutal. An artifact from primitive and brutal time. I don't think Khan was having any trouble with the modern world. As he says in "Space Seed"

Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior. Mentally, physically. In fact, I am surprised how little improvement there has been in human evolution. Oh, there has been technical advancement, but, how little man himself has changed. Yes, it appears we will do well in your century, Captain.

The Khan we see in STID is closer to the one we see in Space Seed. He is ruthless and brutal when needed, but also intelligent. He's not the scenery chewing, easily tricked Ahab we see in TWOK.
Take the Khan from Space Seed and put him under the boot of a "inferior" man for a year, and you get STID Khan.
Old December 5 2013, 05:47 AM   #792
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Take the Khan from Space Seed and put him under the boot of a "inferior" man for a year, and you get STID Khan.
Plus don't forget to add having a better understanding of Starfleet tach which actually makes him more dangerous and likely added to his being more ruthless this time around.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:50 AM   #793
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Maybe, maybe not. According to Orci and co, that's what you get.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:53 AM   #794
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Plus don't forget to add having a better understanding of Starfleet tach which actually makes him more dangerous and likely added to his being more ruthless this time around.
As well as a lot more time to get up to speed and plan. Versus a few days--tops--that he had in Space Seed.
Old December 5 2013, 06:12 AM   #795
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Agenda wrote: View Post

Maybe, maybe not. According to Orci and co, that's what you get.
Odd comment. Sort of like reading the statement "take the Khan from Space Seed and put him on a hellhole of a world for 15 years, and you get TWOK Khan" and then responding Maybe, maybe not. According to Bennett and co, that's what you get.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote