RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,838
Posts: 5,473,497
Members: 25,038
Currently online: 438
Newest member: tomblue

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 17 2013, 06:07 PM   #511
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:33 PM   #512
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
Yeppers.

Take TMP: It's a "serious" sci-fi movie. It's also routinely ranked lower in the fan polls and blasted as the "Slow Motion Picture".

STII: Ranks high, if not often the highest. It's a naval battle, "action", movie in space.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:40 PM   #513
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

"Serious" has different meanings, not only to different people, but also depending upon the context.

I suspect that most fans would agree that The City on the Edge of Forever is, overall, quite serious. It's my second-favorite episode ever, but I wouldn't want that level of intensity every week.

Many episodes have scenes with a serious tone, that convey universal messages about the human condition, even if the episode wasn't completely highbrow. I'll reel off a few examples: Court Martial, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Arena, A Private Little War, The Doomsday Machine, The Ultimate Computer, to name a few.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that TOS generally managed to strike a balance between serious and fun without getting too serious.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:41 PM   #514
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
STII: Ranks high, if not often the highest. It's a naval battle, "action", movie in space.
But does the "navel battle action" represent a good chunk of the film like the action does in the JJ Abrams films. I don't think so. For all the talk of Star Trek II being a certified action film, there's really not a whole lot of action in it when compared to other films that are about action. The surprise attack from the reliant and the battle in the Mutara Nebula are pretty much the only action pieces in the film. There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:40 PM   #515
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
I agree.

All I have to do is walk outside my door or turn on the news if I want serious drama.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #516
nightwind1
Commodore
 
nightwind1's Avatar
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Cara007 wrote: View Post
Sadly Paramount has the last words and the words are bigger than life heroes aka the quantity. That is were the money is. The money is not in serious drama but the sad truth is, the serious drama is where you can find a better and a more quality film.
Paramount hasn't had anything legally to do with Trek in years.
__________________
Remember: No Matter Where You Go, There You Are...88

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #517
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
STII: Ranks high, if not often the highest. It's a naval battle, "action", movie in space.
But does the "navel battle action" represent a good chunk of the film like the action does in the JJ Abrams films. I don't think so. For all the talk of Star Trek II being a certified action film, there's really not a whole lot of action in it when compared to other films that are about action. The surprise attack from the reliant and the battle in the Mutara Nebula are pretty much the only action pieces in the film. There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
By early 1980s standard it is a certified action film.
It opens with a battle, has a confrontation in the middle and climaxes with a battle.
Dialogue-scenes, expository and character-driven alike, are a lot slower than they would be were the film made today.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:57 PM   #518
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Were you asleep?

JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek. And, thankfully, much less mindnumbing technobabble than "Voyager" or "Enterprise", which seemed to think had become compulsory.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #519
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
So you should be really happy that Damon Lindelof is gone, since he's the one who advocated that Earth should be the stomping ground in their Star Trek movies.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:14 PM   #520
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek.
I wouldn't classify Uhura's whining about her relationship with Spock to be wonderful, or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:17 PM   #521
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek.
I wouldn't classify Uhura's whining about her relationship with Spock to be wonderful, or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.
It's a serious shame there isn't like seven-hundred other hours of Trek available to watch to scratch your itch.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:19 PM   #522
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Were you asleep?

JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek. And, thankfully, much less mindnumbing technobabble than "Voyager" or "Enterprise", which seemed to think had become compulsory.
ENT really did not have that much technobabble, which was one of the things Braga wanted to get rid of from the very start as it had been such a cliche in VOY. It did have more character, though the first two seasons did it horribly. I'll take the character moments and development from the third and fourth seasons over the awful stuff in nuTrek.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #523
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek.
.... or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.


Explain.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #524
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

"Pointy".
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:25 PM   #525
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Were you asleep?

JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek. And, thankfully, much less mindnumbing technobabble than "Voyager" or "Enterprise", which seemed to think had become compulsory.
ENT really did not have that much technobabble, which was one of the things Braga wanted to get rid of from the very start as it had been such a cliche in VOY. It did have more character, though the first two seasons did it horribly. I'll take the character moments and development from the third and fourth seasons over the awful stuff in nuTrek.
So you want action-driven war stories and extreme fan-wank?

I liked season three of Enterprise best. The show lost a lot of points with me when those Nazi-Aliens appeared on screen. Season four was fodder for the fans.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.