Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 17 2013, 06:07 PM   #511
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
Old November 17 2013, 06:33 PM   #512
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't want serious drama, I want fun adventures in space. That's what Star Trek does best, IMHO.
Yeppers.

Take TMP: It's a "serious" sci-fi movie. It's also routinely ranked lower in the fan polls and blasted as the "Slow Motion Picture".

STII: Ranks high, if not often the highest. It's a naval battle, "action", movie in space.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:40 PM   #513
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

"Serious" has different meanings, not only to different people, but also depending upon the context.

I suspect that most fans would agree that The City on the Edge of Forever is, overall, quite serious. It's my second-favorite episode ever, but I wouldn't want that level of intensity every week.

Many episodes have scenes with a serious tone, that convey universal messages about the human condition, even if the episode wasn't completely highbrow. I'll reel off a few examples: Court Martial, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Arena, A Private Little War, The Doomsday Machine, The Ultimate Computer, to name a few.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that TOS generally managed to strike a balance between serious and fun without getting too serious.
Old November 17 2013, 07:41 PM   #514
Jeyl
Commodore

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
STII: Ranks high, if not often the highest. It's a naval battle, "action", movie in space.
But does the "navel battle action" represent a good chunk of the film like the action does in the JJ Abrams films. I don't think so. For all the talk of Star Trek II being a certified action film, there's really not a whole lot of action in it when compared to other films that are about action. The surprise attack from the reliant and the battle in the Mutara Nebula are pretty much the only action pieces in the film. There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:40 PM   #515
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I agree.

All I have to do is walk outside my door or turn on the news if I want serious drama.
Old November 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #516
nightwind1
Commodore

Cara007 wrote: View Post
Sadly Paramount has the last words and the words are bigger than life heroes aka the quantity. That is were the money is. The money is not in serious drama but the sad truth is, the serious drama is where you can find a better and a more quality film.
Paramount hasn't had anything legally to do with Trek in years.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #517
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
But does the "navel battle action" represent a good chunk of the film like the action does in the JJ Abrams films. I don't think so. For all the talk of Star Trek II being a certified action film, there's really not a whole lot of action in it when compared to other films that are about action. The surprise attack from the reliant and the battle in the Mutara Nebula are pretty much the only action pieces in the film. There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
By early 1980s standard it is a certified action film.
It opens with a battle, has a confrontation in the middle and climaxes with a battle.
Dialogue-scenes, expository and character-driven alike, are a lot slower than they would be were the film made today.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:57 PM   #518
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Were you asleep?

JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek. And, thankfully, much less mindnumbing technobabble than "Voyager" or "Enterprise", which seemed to think had become compulsory.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #519
Jeyl
Commodore

So you should be really happy that Damon Lindelof is gone, since he's the one who advocated that Earth should be the stomping ground in their Star Trek movies.
Old November 17 2013, 09:14 PM   #520
Jeyl
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek.
I wouldn't classify Uhura's whining about her relationship with Spock to be wonderful, or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.
Old November 17 2013, 09:17 PM   #521
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't classify Uhura's whining about her relationship with Spock to be wonderful, or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.
It's a serious shame there isn't like seven-hundred other hours of Trek available to watch to scratch your itch.
Old November 17 2013, 09:19 PM   #522
MakeshiftPython
Captain

There's a ton of character moments with lots of dialogue, something that JJ's films seems to rush through or only cover the minimum amount in order to get the idea across.
Were you asleep?

JJ's films have just as many wonderful character moments as any other Trek. And, thankfully, much less mindnumbing technobabble than "Voyager" or "Enterprise", which seemed to think had become compulsory.
ENT really did not have that much technobabble, which was one of the things Braga wanted to get rid of from the very start as it had been such a cliche in VOY. It did have more character, though the first two seasons did it horribly. I'll take the character moments and development from the third and fourth seasons over the awful stuff in nuTrek.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #523
beamMe
Fleet Captain

.... or Kirk's xenophobic language he uses openly around Spock.

Explain.
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #524
MakeshiftPython
Captain

"Pointy".
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:25 PM   #525
beamMe
Fleet Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Were you asleep?

ENT really did not have that much technobabble, which was one of the things Braga wanted to get rid of from the very start as it had been such a cliche in VOY. It did have more character, though the first two seasons did it horribly. I'll take the character moments and development from the third and fourth seasons over the awful stuff in nuTrek.
So you want action-driven war stories and extreme fan-wank?

I liked season three of Enterprise best. The show lost a lot of points with me when those Nazi-Aliens appeared on screen. Season four was fodder for the fans.